Crime in the DR

ald07

Feb 5, 2003
I have heard that there has been an increase in crime ( ie robberies) in the DR since the devaluation of the peso. Has anybody living in the DR heard or seen this problem. Just curious

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's still much safer than the city your posting from :)

Use the search function, a wealth of information to be found on this subject.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
ald07 said:
I have heard that there has been an increase in crime ( ie robberies) in the DR since the devaluation of the peso. Has anybody living in the DR heard or seen this problem. Just curious

Yes in general, things have been getting worse, I know of someone who had their car stolen from right in front of her house during one of the recent blackouts. I have not heard of direct robberies. If you want my estimate, I'd say general crime might have increases 25%, but then I'm pulling that estimate out of my butt. Most people seem to be going about thier business (those who have jobs). But even Rob does not truely belive he is safer in DR than other major cities.

-Lee

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I know that backing up what you say with FACT is just a BS abstraction to you. Quote one reference other than a car being stolen which happens all over the world to back up what you say.

Stick to asking the same questions in 12 different ways for attention as opposed to reporting on crime for attention.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Re: Crime in the DR

ltsnyder said:
Yes in general, things have been getting worse, I know of someone who had their car stolen from right in front of her house during one of the recent blackouts. I have not heard of direct robberies. If you want my estimate, I'd say general crime might have increases 25%, but then I'm pulling that estimate out of my butt.

How on earth can you say that? How can pull a 25% increase out of your b... whatever. I hope whoever is reading this, understands that this estimate smells. What does it mean to say that in general things have been getting worse? What are you basing this on?

This is the worst kind of claptrap and balderdash and passing on rumours that are not even rumours.

Let me tell you, I know of more 'someones' that did *not* have their cars stolen during one of the recent blackouts.

Oops, I got so p'''d off that I forgot to answer the original question. I have not heard of, seen, experienced or seen any evidence of an increase in crime. Politically, I think there may be more violent crime, but this does not affect expats that live here, at all.

Last edited:

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
lilsnotter,,

so when there are lights nobody's car is stolen? Maybe you can be a watchiman and guard your area. With most of the questions you ask here I thought you lived elsewhere.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Some Real Statistics

Not Pulled From LTSnyders Hiney:

Our house in Santiago was burglarized Saturday night. They stole clothes, a washing machine, a TV, and RD$2,000 Pesos in cash so now I can honestly and factually report the following crime statistics.

Burglaries in XR's Santiago Properties:

2001-0
2002-0
2003-1

Shocking! That's not a 25% increase folks! That's a whopping 1000% increase. A 10000% increase. An INFINITE increase over each of the preceeding two years! It's out-of-control! When you break it down it's even worse. This also represents:

* A 1000% increase in the number of robberies in XR's Santiago properties with the lights still on!
* A 10-fold leap in the number of televisions stolen from XR in a single day!
* The first ever combination washing machine/cash burglary from which we can extrapolate that a band of (wait for it) yes MONEY LAUNDERERS is loose in Santiago!

Somebody call La Soga!

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
crime --no big deal

what's all the fuss about getting a car stolen in FRONT of your house? why here in NY they steal your car that's parked IN your house.
Oh, the petty crooks in the DR -when will they ever learn to run with the big guys??? :}

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Crime IS up in the D.R.

WHY, just a few weeks ago, a gang of thieves said that from now on, everyone sending anything into the DR is going to pay 2% MORE than they already pay.

And on top of THAT, they said that anyone sending anything OUT of the DR is now going to give us 5%!!!!

And on top of that, they said that anyone who decides to fly out instead is going to pay another 10 bucks. Per head.

And on top of that, they borrowed a bunch of money from some loansharks called the IMF, and signed OUR name on the paperwork, and not THEIR names, but THEY will take the money.

THIEVES!

Child

Yes, I'm my tag line.
heh of course theres an increase in crime since the peso es mas caro blahb lah

Si viven en DR dont stop at red lights at 12 oclock night or later te atrakan olleron.. yo tambien so un thief jejeje

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Funny, after "Si viven en DR dont stop at red lights at 12 oclock night or later te atrakan olleron.. yo tambien so un thief jejeje" whatever pigeon english/spanish hybrid this is I was thinking the same thing about you. Say 'hi' to Joseita for us.

ald07

Feb 5, 2003
Boy if I would have known my question would have started all this i would not have asked...........

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
GringoCArlos - Brilliant! LOL.

ald07 - no worries - this is all par for the course - we enjoy our debates here on DR1. Don't stop asking - you will get real answers.

lovie

Jan 22, 2003
distortions

you all sound like the "liberals" knocking Bush......how all can be exagerated,either way........................I doubt that lawlessness is so awful now in DR...:cool:

ald07

Feb 5, 2003
ok.......... Then let the discussions continue. By the way In the last 2 years I have spent about six months in the DR. Most of it in Santiago. I hear Santiago is the worst city in the DR when it comes to crime. I myself have never seen it.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I think you're right! I have never lost a TV in Sosua. But at this rate if my projections continue correct we expect to have another 364 televisions stolen from that house within the next twelve months along with $728,000 pesos, and something close to 30 washing machines every month!

Something has to be done!

By the way, has the world population hit 245 billion yet? I was reading an old 1967 article about best case population figures for 2003 from the New York Times ...

Last edited: