Smog?

M

Michael

I'll be going to the DR for the first time this friday.

However I may "retire" to the DR at the end of the year. In the book "Living in Santo Domingo" it mentions that there is a lot of generator use.

I'm sensetive to smog. I would like to know if there is a lot of smog in the DR. Where is the most smog? Where is the least smog? And lastly, how bad is it.

Here in LA in years past we use to have smog alerts. Do to pollution controls they seem to be a thing of the past. The skys are much cleaner and the breathing is much easier.

Air quality is a big concern to me along with internet access.

D

DR One

Generator use is down considerably what with the new government improving the power supply problems. I wouldn't say there is "smog" as you would know it from Mexico or LA. But, there is pollution and Dominican homes need to be cleaned more frequently because of it. Hurricane Georges cleaned up the skies considerably improving air quality. The best air quality in the city is found closer to the Caribbean Sea. I used to live in a house near the sea and could walk barefoot all day and not get dirty feet, not so for my center city sixth floor apartment where we continuously have to be dusting and cleaning. Since you are coming on Friday, you will see for yourself. Of course, there is less pollution in the provinces.