How are these forums maintained?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I mean, who pays for this site? I checked a little and didn't see any way of contributing... but there must be, right?

Am wondering because I'm finding the info/knowledge contained within to be so helpful, and undoubtedly saving real money in terms of a move to the DR. I would be glad to contribute something.

Also, the site is so well set up and easy to navigate. Well done, whomever I ought to be thanking. :) D

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
donations accepted

I'm always open to a little extra cash. Send to my favorite charity(john E.) :}

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Send all cash to robert@dr1.com

Kidding about the cash but it's Robert and Dolores that own this site. Correct me if I'm wrong Robert. I was one of the people that complained when we first went on this format but now I think it's great. ;) Nothing out there like it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We do it out of love!

Plus the generosity of our sponsors help :)

Thanks for the compliments, no need to send money. Just pay us back with a report or any other useful info you might have or may learn in the future about the DR.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
you got it so right!

Robert & Dolores,

Amazing. The sponsorship is certainly handled in a classy way, unlike most sites. Kudos to you and Dolores!

Definitely will contribute info/help when possible, and of course, continue to enjoy the community at large. :)

D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]dawnwil[/B] said:
I mean, who pays for this site? I checked a little and didn't see any way of contributing... but there must be, right?
Once a year we have the Annual DR1-A-Thon held by the forum regulars to collect money.

This year we'll have:

AZB and his bachata band.

Golo will give us a short presentation on the joys of living in the DR and the necessity of keeping a joyful, optimistic view of life.

Criss Colon will entertain us with his Firefighter Stripper act.

MusicQueen will play the harp.

Each year the money collected is given to a worthy cause. This year it will go to the Buy Robert a Jaguar Foundation. Early donations are welcome. Please contact me for mailing details.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Wanna See My "Firehose"?

Many Dr1ers throw lavish parties when they come to visit the Dominican Republic! Places like the Hotel Jaragua,& the Beer House in Santo Domingo,and "Eddy's Sports Bar,or "Rocky's in Sosua! Really!Next schedualed "Fiesta" is Thanksgiving in Sosua.Those DR1ers who live here,and give so generously of our time,and "WISDOM?" to answer your questions always attend these parties to ensure a great time will be had by all! More than 60 at Eddy's Bar-B-Q in July!Check out the pictures in the DR1 Homepage "Midia Gallery!

Wecome!!!:cool: Cris Colon,"anyone smell smoke?????????"

Carol

Jan 2, 2002
I'd swim to the DR from the UK if I thought for one minute that Criss would really do his firefighter stripper act. It would be something to be seen!!!!!!

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
hee

Uh, Pib, somehow I have a funny feeling those donations are taken up so the special 'entertainment' won't happen.

You guys crack me up!

And you're right... it was a Duh idea, but this site reminds me of another site I like-- vocal, opinionated, funny people who also let the fur fly regularly. It's funded entirely by donations. There is so much personality here, I never even considered a commercial aspect.

Chris, I look forward to seeing Eddy's Bar in action! Joking aside, those voices of wisdom have already made a BIG difference in my life, because now I'm going forward with this move, and before I checked in here two weeks ago, I wasn't.

I booked flights yesterday for a trip end of October. yippee.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: "Wanna See My "Firehose"?

Criss Colon said:
Many Dr1ers throw lavish parties when they come to visit the Dominican Republic!

Lavish? HaHaHaHaHa........Criss you crack me up!

Wasn't it Marx who said: "I don't want to join a club that would have me as a member."?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: hee

dawnwil said:
I booked flights yesterday for a trip end of October. yippee.
If you come to my Thanksgiving Party you will see Criss do his Firefighter routine. It may not be a pretty site but who ever walks out first buys all the drinks the rest of the night.

You are coming right?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
oh oh. er ... no.

A conflict of Thanksgivings, alas.

My Mom's birthday is days before the Canadian one, so I am committed to Ontario in October... am tagging on the DR trip from there. Then some deadlines to finish west before move.

The weird thing is, now I'm moving to the DR, I have very little time to visit.

Maybe Easter? A Fiesta then? Although I warn you now... I like being Bumped. There may possibly be a race for those vouchers. hee hee.

I wonder how they would decide?

I've been rooting silently for the 50 by day's end though, was sorry to see you lose an SL Mike. Truly.

D