Q for XR-- what is Xanadu Ranch?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I thought I'd ask here, as maybe we're already too close to the off-topic edge with Timex elsewhere...

You mentioned to the effect: 'here at Xanadu we're getting that equipment (those surger protectors) for the office and studio...'

I hope you don't mind me asking what Xanadu Ranch is? It's the word 'studio' that has me most curious. I do know you have more than 20 boxes of stuff there.

If this is too personal, apologies! and feel no need to reply. I had an enjoyable perusal of the Media Gallery, saw the Tilley (?) and Alba (your beautiful wife!) and assumed it referred to your private farm/retreat ... ala paradise.

Anyway, didn't want to seem disinterested by not asking, nor too nosy by asking. Dilemma.

Oh, if the Xanadu studio has something to do with all that electrical info over in Living... please do post there to keep in context. :)

D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
You said it, Dominican Babe!

Gregg, thanks for that. I checked out the Weatherman stuff too.
very cool!

Where in Maritimes? My family's from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Cape Breton. I was born in Nfld. D

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Hey XR..

I knew you were smarter than the average bear...Great place the Xanadu looks to be! Alba is lucky...Looks like paradise to me! (Even the rocky drive!) Great weather info too...A true weather person you are! Great of you to allow people to see your place. Now the mystery has been solved! :) Really a VERY nice place! Pam

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Dawn,

Many of us must be forgiven for our birthplaces. lol

Presently we live in Dartmouth, NS but I was an Air Force brat so we travelled all over Eastern Canada and to Europe while I was growing up. My heart; however, belongs to the North Coast of the DR (DR content). I was born in NB, my wife (Giselle) was born in NS and my son (Chris) was born in CB (now in Graduate School at the University of Windsor, ON), so we too have all our bases covered.

Gregg

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hat's Off to Robert

DR1 really does have information on every topic under the sun. I didn't even have time to post a reply and everyone said it for me!

Thank you all, for the nice comments.

Xanadu does not, as Joseita insinuated, refer to the song by ELO/ONJ. I like ELO. But rather instead to the poem about Kubla Kahn by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Seemed fitting with the view from up here. It is now Xanadu Ranch by virtue of the additional animals my wife, and Jose my trusted sidekick, assistant and handyman, keep whining for me to add. We are currently at 2 ducks, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 7 pigs, two horses and the usual stray chickens and roosters. Not counting the trantulas of course.

If you want to know who XR is, just look me up. I am in about every Who's Who in existence. Or try the Reader's Guide to Periodic Literature at the local library starting crica 1974 or so.

I guess now I'll have to post pictures of Jose to the media gallery as well as he is becoming a 'DR1 character'. LOL.

Tom (aka XR)

Edited to Add: Forgot to mention the studio part. My voice is heard on over 600 radio stations hourly every day from Alaska to Samoa to Presque Isle Maine to Caymen through the automated systems. Even on Radio Disney! To customize these systems as they are sold our dealers require special audio snippets in my voice which are created here, in a highly computerized digital studio at Xanadu. We're in the process of building new offices and studios below the swimming pool deck. Also with that great ocean view.

Last edited:

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
totally awesome, dude!

You are literally carving a unique life upon your chosen ground... the idea itself is poetry.

And you meant 'studio' in the way I had imagined, something involving sound.

Doubtless there are many, many implications to Weatherman & V.V. ... but is what I think I'm reading true?... that the forecasts are projected and 'read' from actual real time weather information recorded by meteorological equipment? Of great human benefit in times of potential weather disaster?

If so, I'm ... speechless.

(heh heh ... that's for the French one).

One last thing: do you think of yourself as eccentric? Hope so! It's a favorite word and concept here. :)

Gregg-- yeah, the Newfie thing... but I'm usually the one laughing at those jokes... or telling them. Father from Fredericton, mother New Glasgow. Oh, right... (content) DR is the best island of all! hee.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: totally awesome, dude!

dawnwil said:
... but is what I think I'm reading true?... that the forecasts are projected and 'read' from actual real time weather information recorded by meteorological equipment? One last thing: do you think of yourself as eccentric?
The software I've written takes text forecasts and reports received continuously via satellite, internet etc. combined with real time weather conditions either from the same data stream or from actual attached sensors and then scans it's library of over 30,000 audio cuts in whatever voice you've chosen or scheduled to use and combines varying versions of of that voice describing those conditions at the proper pitch, inflection, etc to create a weathercast automatically. And the cuts can be in any language so it also functions as an instant say english-text to spanish-voice translator if you choose.

As to the eccentric, well, I 1) write "for sexual favors" in the "for" line of every check, regardless of its purpose 2) will occasionally sit beside the highway here with dark sunglasses on pointing my hair dryer at passing cars to see if they slow down, 3) just this morning got cash from the ATM and as the money came out jumped up and down screaming in spanish, "I won! I won! That's the third time this week! I won!". Does any of that count?

Tom (aka XR)

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Re: Re: totally awesome, dude!

XanaduRanch said:

As to the eccentric, well, I 1) write "for sexual favors" in the "for" line of every check, regardless of its purpose
Tom (aka XR)

Tom, ROFLMAO, I will have to try that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Tom

Nice Layout. I am very impressed after hearing about more
of your personal history.
Keep up the good work,

JD

penguin

Jun 19, 2003
Hey, Dawnwil--

Where in Nfld are you from? My husband is a Newfie and moved to BC 10 years ago. He is just from a VERY small town in NFLD--so small that I am not even goin to name it!

And just to keep the Dominican thing going here. . .

My husband and I LOVE the DR and were last there in April and hope to go back in February! I think we will start to make the DR our yearly thing instead of Mexico!!!!

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Penguin, I like your handle! I was born in St. John's, grew up in Grand Falls, and in between spent time in ... was it Glover? or Glovertown? I know not, but my teddy bear was named Glover for that town. We always visited the west coast in summer... father was a salmon fisherman when there were still salmon to fish.

Ok! Here's my DR connection: I'm spoiled by the beautiful maritime shellfish in our cold northern waters, btw. Maine lobster isn't quite as good. An old fisherman told me it's the diet those lobsters eat on the clean, pebbly bottoms. The scallops and mussels in NS/PEI are incomparable too. So I'm not too thrilled by warm water shellfish. Oh yes, Alaska king crab ranks with scallops, both higher than lobster, and nothing like fresh-from-the-ocean. What say you?

Anyway, glad to hear you like the DR! I hope to be more or less settled by feb. D

XanaduRanch said:
Does any of that count?

Tom (aka XR)

Works for me. hee