Water

Jigglebelly

Aug 12, 2003
Hello everyone.

Do commercial water filters, e.g. PUR or Brita, do a good enough job of making the local water potable or does one still have to boil it?

Also, is there any sense in just biting the bullet and drinking tap water until one gets used to it?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Unless you've been drinking Dominican tap water all your life, I highly suggest you never test or experiment with it...

My father came down with ameobas after drinking a glass of water (bottled) with some ice that had been made from tap water...

Sometimes when i'm in the shower, it feels like im in a swimming pool (the smell is almost nauseating) with so much chlorine in the water.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no drinking water in the DR that is 100% sfe

5 gallon bottles from the best known companies is the "Safest"water.Every few years,the dept of health tests the bottled water for contaminants,biological/chemical.They always shut down about 20 companies."Giardia"is endemic in the dominican population,and will be in you also! Best part is,that after you live here long enough,your "gut" will be "Dominican",so when you go "Home" for a visit,you will get diarhea from the water and food wherever you came from!

Despite what "NV" says,you won't know "where" you got the "Bug",or what "Bug" you have until you test your "Stool" in a lab!And that strong chlorine smell should give you peace of mind,it "kills" everything! It doesnt remove the "Chemicals" however! CCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
water

I learned my lesson in cancun several years ago. In the DR, the first thing I buy after I check into a hotel is a gallon of water from a colmado. I drink it and brush my teeth with it. I dont go near the tap water and shower with my mouth closed. In restaurants and bars I always ask for my drink without ice. I dont ever want to deal with the bout of the shits I got that time in cancun again.
Larry

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cancun has good water. Probably the only place in Mexico that does. I use the 5 gallon jobby that costs 22 pesos delivered.

If you even take a sip while in the shower in the DR you will come down with Montozumas revenge. Not a happy experience.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Escott said:
Cancun has good water. B]

Ha! Melia Terquesa (sp?) hotel. 1995. THAT water was not good water. I got up in the morning my second day there, was really hungover and drank from the tap. BIG MISTAKE. 2 days later.....HO BOY!
Larry

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Also, is there any sense in just biting the bullet and drinking tap water until one gets used to it?
Yes, especially if you enjoy the sensation of having your insides wrung out like a wet towel. ('Cause that's what it was like for me in the beginning.)

Question: If I was previously acclimatized to the water, do you think I would be still 2 years later? What about my husband, Dominican born and bred?

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I was sick as a dog in Cancun too. My boyfriend, at the time in 1994, and I went to Senor Frog's. We didn't order the same food, but opened our mouths for a squirt from a roving bartender. We were both deathly sick with high fever for the rest of the trip.

As far as DR, I have always brushed my teeth with tap water; I just don't swallow. I've never gotten sick. I just keep spitting in the shower too and not suffered.

My husband's mixed drinks in the restaurants always have ice in them and he's never gotten sick either.

I've been told by several people that you can use tap water to make coffee, since it's boiled, but my husband refuses to take the chance.

I hope Ken responds to this because he and his wife don't buy bottled water. They use a tablet in their drinking water, but don't know where he buys it or the brand name.

BTW - no one has responded to original question whether water filters provide safe drinking. I'd like to know too.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Purissima is the name of the liquid (and tablets?), available at the supermarket in a blue bottle.

I really don't think those filters would do the trick.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We have been using purrissima for years. I believe the water treated with it is safer than the commercially bottled water. When we were cruising on our boat, we used clorox.

Jan, I recommend that you keep a bottle of treated water in your bathroom and brush your teeth with it. You might be lucky in Russian roulette for awhile, also.

The ice served in restaurants is made from treated water. The ice that street venders shave off a block of ice is another matter.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
about Brita type filters-- NO!

Jigglebelly, I don't have exact stats in my head, but years ago I checked out the alternatives because I didn't like the water where I was living. No one system does it all (refer to chart link below).

Here's some info for you:

Brita-type filters are a combo of ion exchange and carbon filter, and they do a great job removing unpleasant smells & tastes like chlorine, leaving a fresh, spring water taste.

But the most harmful contaminants will pass right on through. Brita advertises certification with the NSF, but it's misleading in one respect: the NSF certifies that approved systems do not add contaminants, a huge difference.

Somewhere else I saw mention of the reverse osmosis filter systems-- that's what I used for years. Where I was living in Canada, they're considered effective for "99% of contaminants commonly found in well and tap water". However, ineffective against inorganic contaminants-- like lead.

As well, effectiveness is against 'commonly found' contaminants in Canada & US.

Filtration systems will not remove the tiniest particles-- viral particles such as hepatitus (see info at end on biological particle size). For that, you need a water purification system-- a combination of disinfection for viruses and bacteria, and a microfilter to remove cysts containing microbes like giardia. In the US, effective microbiological water purification systems are tested and approved by the EPA. If it does NOT have EPA certification, it's suspect.

Note, again, these purification systems remove biological contaminants. According to the chart link below, only distillation is effective in removing metal contaminants.

Obviously the chart is commercial-- it's intent is to sell those reverse osmosis systems, so it blankets all viruses and bacteria together, which is misinformation. It is informative though. The info given on this chart hasn't changed since I purchased a system in 1990.

http://www.water-filter-system.com/compare-filtrations-methods.html

Interesting to note: boiling of water is considered effective in removing bacterial/viral contaminants. It acts like the disinfection aspect of a water purification system. I suppose a 2-stage method would work: boil the water and then run it through a Brita, for biological purity and taste. I guess the same might be true for those iodine or chlorine-type tablets-- reap the benefits and then use a Brita for better taste. Just a thought. Lots of work, though!

Here's some more info on biological contaminants. No, I'm not a fanatic... one brother is a scientist, a molecular virologist, so I get bopped over the head every once in a while. I don't call him much, otherwise I'd be a wreak. :)

(from: extremewater.com-- another commercial site, this one advocating those microbiological water purification systems, but this is worthwhile reading regardless)

MORE INFO on BIOLOGICAL CONTAMINANTS:

Protozoa, one-celled animals varying in size from 2 to 100 microns (one micron is one-millionth of a meter, or 0.00004 inches), live in many insects and animals, and survive in cysts (protective shells) when outside of an organism. They include Giardia lamblia and Cryptosporidium, two of the ubiquitous parasites in the United States. "In one of our studies we had over 10,000 samples from streams all across America, Alaska to Arizona, and we didn't find one without giardia" according to Chuch Hilber, professor emeritus at Colorado State University, and a parasitologist who has spent a lifetime analyzing backcountry water. When a municipal water treatment plant in Milwaukee failed in 1994, an estimated 400,000 became sick from Cryptosporidium, and 30 died. Because protozoa reproduce so rapidly inside a host organism, ingesting only a few causes disease. Symptoms include severe diarrhea, abdominal cramps, bloating, fatigue and weight loss.

Bacteria can be considerably smaller than protozoa, measuring as little as 0.2 microns. Many are symbiotic, but others cause a variety of infectious disease, including typhoid, paratyphoid, dysentery, colibacillosis and cholera. Bacteria can be present in both wild and domestic animals. Once in the water, they can survive for weeks, even longer if frozen in ice.

Viruses are the smallest agents of disease, and perhaps the most problematic. Because they are as minute as 0.004 microns, they can pass through the smallest filter. They are also widespread: according to Herbert DuPont, Chief of Internal Medicine at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston who has spent his career studying waterborne pathogens, "Protozoa-giardia and crypto-are the number one threat, then viruses, then bacteria." Charles Gerba, the preeminent water microbiologist from the University of Arizona, agrees: "As a general rule of thumb, you can never be sure viruses aren't in your water." Waterborne viruses include hepatititus A and E, Norwalk virus, rotavirus, echovirus and poliovirus. Since there is no treatment for viruses, they are particularly dangerous, especially among immunno-compromised populations. "In developing countries, " according to Gerba, "hepatitis A and E are extremely dangerous, with hepatitis E causing 1 to 2 percent mortality in the general population, and a horrific 20 to 30 percent mortality in pregnant women."

enough already! :) D

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
I brought my filter system over from the States in my suitcase
two carbom filters and an ultra violet light filter.
threes years ago
never had a problem and is the best tasting water I had on the island.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
When I lived in the DR in the campo where at times the water was brown I owned one of those 5 gallon carbon filters given/bought from the catholic church and used a couple drops of cloro then filtered. Never got sick....

I had amebas (sp?) but they didn't do any harm, I suppose some people are more sensitive than others.

I don't really worry about it, now a days when I visit maybe I'll try to get it since I could lose a couple of pounds... -;)

If anything I did after almost 3 years leave the DR with a borderline Vitamin B12 deficiency due to lack of fresh green and vegetables in general.... but the States quickly cured me thanks to all the processed and addatives, preservatives in food here...

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Anyone know of 'the Dominican cure'?

Paul, I loved my reverse osmosis system for the same reason: best tasting water... excepting a friend's place in Montana. Her well ties into an underground river, and the water is to ... er, live for, awesome and invigorating.

Hepatitus is not a risk in the DR, right? I have heard some conflicting advice; I think Lonely Planet said to beware and be prepared; in Canada I've been getting shots, but the Dr. said the country's not considered a risk zone.

About the Dominican Cure...

When I was in the DR in '87, my ex and I stayed with friends in PP and naturally got quite sick with Montezuma's Revenge.

A couple of the girlfriends of friends fixed us up with this, which everyone told us was the "Dominican Cure":

soda water
fresh squeezed lime
salt-- quite a lot of salt

We drank it a few times, tastes terrible, but it worked -- we were 100% in 2 days. Maybe it was coincidence, but I'm convinced it was that drink. D

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I know of a couple of Dominicans that use a cola and lime mixture to cure their stomach ailments.... half a bottle of pepsi and half lime... they were fine a couple of days later...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Better find a new Doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!,Hepatitis IS a risk in the DR! And most other places on the Earth! Finish the series of shots for Hep."B",& "C"!It is even given to children in the US now normally before they reach puberty.How old is your doctor 80?:confused: CC

Dec 9, 2002
JanH said:
As far as DR, I have always brushed my teeth with tap water; I just don't swallow. I've never gotten sick. I just keep spitting in the shower too and not suffered.

My husband's mixed drinks in the restaurants always have ice in them and he's never gotten sick either.
Me too Jan. I have only ever used bottled if I actually want to drink water (that doesn't happen too often either ;) ). In bars, restaurants, even the car wash, I have always had ice in my rum. Never got sick yet.