Speaking of water....water well digging/construction...Maimon area-POP

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Need some help. It seems like I have seen some companies/names from the POP area referred in here for commercial well digging in the past...however, I can't find those names and #'s when I do a "search".

I have a project in the Maimon area where I believe we will likely need 2-3 wells dug. I have a couple quotes coming out of Santiago and Mao...but havent found the POP source yet!

Any help out there?

Thanks, Dave

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The guy that everyone recommends is Duane Gess, he lives in POP. He?s from the US, been drilling here for 20 years or more.

I know he did the wells for the new Sea World (Cofresi), Pan American Village etc etc etc.

Trust me, ain't nobody beter than Duane on this Island.

Tel: 565 4838
Fax: 586 6028
Cell: 543 8154
Cell: 301 3730

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
re:filtration for a well

Our next door neighbour is having problems with her new well.

She has sand going through her water. They told her that they drilled accordingly to the correct depth for water. They can't drill down any more because they will reach salt water. When she runs her water, it has sand in it.

What can she do here?

We were thinking of putting a well on our property as well in the coming year. There have been problems with the water in the Playa Laguna ( Sosua ) area lately, and everyone has had to order water by the truck load. Many are considering the option of placing a well on their property.

Does anyone know why the sand and what can be done? I would like to know before placing calls for estimates on a well.

Thanks,
Palmas

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Palmas - Got this explanation from a well company:

Overdraft is when a water is removed from the aquifer at a faster rate than can be naturally replaced by rain or snow. The lowering of the water table causes problems such as surface cracking, sinkholes on the surface, and in coastal areas, salt water intrusion. Salt water intrusion occurs when the water table is low and the ground water lacks sufficient water pressure to prevent the ocean from backing up into the ground water.

This link is a commercial site but it better explains (on page 4)about the sand problem above and how to get around it.
Aquastream

palmas

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks JanH.

You're always helpful with everything.

Printed out the 4 pages and found it to be quite interesting.

I wonder if this company in POP has this particular system or something similar that he can install. I would like to help our neighbour as well, but almost positive she hired some Dominican company to do it. Hope she can resolve the problem with them.

She had said that next time we were down we could use her water and just pay her instead of ordering the tank delivery every few days. It looks like we're ordering water until we look into this well deal.

Palmas

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Maybe I am Crazy But ...

You know, those things in your link Jan aren't really anything more than fancy (and probably a lot more expensive) versions of the little fingers that reside in the bottom of your sand pool filter. In your filter the water is pumped into the tank full of sand from the top. A tube in the center has generally 8 fingers that extend out from the bottom, plastic pipes basically about 1/2 in diameter and anywhere from 4-8 inches in length filled with little slots. The water is able to enter into the slots under the pressure being applied by the pump, but the sand is not. So debris is trapped along with the sand, and clean water minus the sand returns to the pool.

It would seem to me it would not be too difficult to fit the intake of your well pump with a number of these fingers using ordinary plumbing parts. I repaired our filter that way with some new fingers and then some gas pipe/water connecters a few weeks ago. Bought all the parts at Ochoa in Santiago. They sell an octagon shaped black plastic end cap for a 1-1/2" tube that has 8 threaded holes to screw in the fingers. They also sell the fingers. But the fingers they sell are the wrong size for the end cap. Hence the other parts to reduce the size of the fingers to fit the holes on the end cap and lots of time explaining to the guys in the gas/pipe section what this plumber's nightmare I was creating was for. But it works perfectly, just like the original fingers.

If you have relatively easy access to the intake pipes in the well, it'd be worth a try since the fingers go for only about $100 pesos each, and the whole little assembly with the end cap, fingers, and adapters would cost $1500 pesos or less.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited: