Money Orders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know this question has probably been asked but. If I buy a money order here in Canada( American or Canadian funds) and send it to my mother-in-law; is she going to have any problems cashing it at the bank.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Money Order.

I sent a money order as a down payment on my apartment...the owner couldn't cash it anywhere, and ended up having to deposit it into his canadian account. He told me that a personal check would have been easier...a cashier's check would probably be easiest...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bob, why not check with Scotia bank. they now have a big presence in the DR. The manager there should be able to advise you.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Same Thing in Canada

We don't have cashier's cheques (checks) - money orders for under $1000 or so, and then Bank Drafts for over, which are just money orders with a larger limit, signed by bank officers (vs. pre-printed/pre-signed) and if required can be drawn on specified banks.

Your Canadian bank may have drawing rights in US$, RD$ or CAD$ on a Dominican Bank, e.g. BPop or BRes, they could do that at a higher cost.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A friend sent me a Western Union Money Order

Even "Vimenca" the Santo Domingo "WU" office turned it down.I had to deposit it in the US! I would NEVER send any kind of "Negotiable Paper" by mail!CC

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Actually, the post office does provide international money orders for a still very reasonable price. It might be one of the best ways to send money to the DR - if the mail itself is secure (business mail, for example).

I only used it one time, about 3 years ago, and it survived the Dominican postal system to reach the recipient in less than 2 weeks.

I don't know what exchange rate was obtained, but if it should be a good one, this method could be really be nice.