Books on Dominican culture

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
In an effort to learn more about the Dominican Republics history and culture I would like to do some reading and hope some of you could suggest a few books that I might choose from. So far I have read a Frank Moya Pons history book and a few books by Julia Alvarez.I know the Alvarez books are fiction but I believe they are loosely based on her life and I found them to be interesting and educational. I would be interested in any book concerning the DR.
Larry

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
"Why the Cocks Fight" is a good start, about the DR and Haiti relationship / interdependence.

This topic was covered about a year ago, and there was an excellent list of suggestions by several people, including Pib and Golo.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Larry do you remember the list that golo posted earlier this year?

Were any of those what you are looking for? Here is the link to that thread.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Thanks Anna

I must be losing it. I have no recollection of that thread. Thanks for bring it back up for me Anna. Carlos, "Why cocks fight" sounds good. I am going to read that one first.
Larry

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
When I was last in Santiago, Luis loaned me his copy of "The Dominican Republic - A National History", by Frank Moya Pons.
This book is published by Hispanola Books Corporation, 171 Sutton Manor, New Rochelle, NY 10801 and carries ISBN 1-885509-01-6 (Paperback) and Library of Congress CCN: 94-76411.

I started reading it on the way back from Santiago and found it so interesting I stayed up half the night. Finished it the next day and started it all over again.

What tremendous insight and detailed chronology of events! It truly proves the saying that history tends to repeat itself.

I highly recommend it to anyone who lives here in thr DR or anticipates visiting at any time in the future.

My heartfelt thanks to Luis Midence (Hillbilly) for the loan and promise to return it ASAP.

Texas Bill

jimrx7

Sep 11, 2003
hey bill is that book in spanish or english.. i want to get it for someone but need to know that detail?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Jimrx7

The book cited is in English. I don't know where it is available. Possibly from Amazon.com, or maybe at one of the larger bookstores in a large city in DR.

Might ask Hillbilly where he got his copy.

Wish I could be more helpful, but there it is.

Texas Bill