How hard is it for a Domincan to get a US visa?

emilitabrujita

Oct 15, 2002
I am working to help several young adult Dominicans come to the United States to study/work. I would appreciate any/all info on applying for a US visa. How difficult is it? What information/papers would they need to have? How much does it cost? How long is the waiting period? Is there a web site where I could access this info?

Also, if anyone has information on Dominican programs, schools, groups, or organizations in the New York city area that I could contact...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
In all honesty, though

Both US and Canada it is VERY difficult, and before committing fees which can be large (relatively and absolutely) be pretty certain that you will succeed, that they have solid financial ties to the DR, as both US and Canada simply don't believe they will leave.

My bet is young adults to study/work is almost impossible unless they are from wealthy families, and even then the work part is out of the question.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Still, many succeed, even poor ones that wouldn't seem to have a chance.

The right information is extremely valuable.

emilitabrujita

Oct 15, 2002
thanks you

thank you all for the information. andy a especially, thanks for the optimistic words. i believe that although our chances might be slim, with the right preparation, and a little bit of luck, these people will perhaps get to pursue their dreams. Unfortunately, they do not come from wealthy families, but instead have been raised in an orphanage. While they do have the needed documentation, the money needed for the process, and their time in the US will come from sponsors. Andy you said the "right" information is key. If you have any tips, shortcuts, or connections (which can make a world of difference in the DR as we all know) i would be so grateful.

Also, thank you for the website Anna....it was very helpful!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
emilitabrujita,

I don't have any inside information myself, but look at the math - 8 million Dominicans left behind and 1 million plus in the US. That's better than 1 in 10, not counting those born in the US, of course.

It seems that almost every Dominican family has one or more members who have made it, despite how poverty stricken the family is.

I have heard a few poor ones talking confidently about how they were in the process of getting a visa and would have it within 6 months or so. Lo and behold, some of them did.