Get your ass to chat NOW. 10:13 Wednesday

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I still can't get the chat to work. I am having problems with Microsoft Virtual Machine...is anyone using anything else such as SUN Java beans? if so has that worked for you?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No I'm not using Java beans and popped into chat for the first time last night - had no problems with VM. What is happening on your side? Simple basic comment, but how fast is your connectivity - chat took quite some time to load for me?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
It's not my connection. I am using a cable modem and I am not sharing the line with anyone else. I did some testing on the line myself and I am not even using a fraction of my bandwidth. I am giving up on Microsoft...going to install Linux this weekend.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
This is what.....

I found absolutely engaging about this site. Crack that whip Escott!!! The subject line alone is worth a million of those annoying smilies

BR, P

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
People that know me know to take me with a grain of salt. I am just looking to have fun here with some of the best people of the world who I have had the pleasure to meet. Considering we all live so far away even in the DR it truly amazes me how people go out of their way to get together and have a nice time. I have met more than 100 people that post on this board in person which may sound hard to believe but true. Heck 60 showed up at my Easter Dinner and it was a ball. In August 3 of us traveled from 2 different directions to see one other on the most North Western part of the Country. I came from Sosua and they came from Santo Domingo and we met in Santiago to go up towards Monti Christi. That was certainly a lot of traveling for everyone but we had a great time and look forward to more of this stuff.

Join in and get to know these people, you will NOT be disappointed. You need a good sense of humor and thick skin at times but man it is worth every second of it.

For those having problems with Chat I have them also. Keep hitting the chat button and then hit the back button once or twice. That is the ONLY way I ever get into the room. I thunk there is something wrong with Roberts Config but who am I to tell him that:)??

Scott

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Hello Scott.....

Actually, I've been having a serious ball for the past few days just sifting thru the Forums and Threads....and have sent a few compliments to oneandall about one of the best sites I've come across in lo many years of Inet/Web use. I wasn't kidding when I said your subject line was great...took me a few minutes to stop laughing. Keep it up in other words.

I'll poke my nose into chat later today to see who's lurking there.

Since I'm considering at least a visit to the DR in next few months, with a view to possibly moving there at least on a seasonal basis, I need all the info/help I can get. And, look forward to meeting some of the DR characters who post.

Just by chance, since I've got your eye, do you know of any similar English language sites for Panama, Costa Rica, or the Caribbean in general? Know they will never come up to the DR mark, but what the hay

Best, P [Bill]

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
DRtechie said:
It's not my connection. I am using a cable modem and I am not sharing the line with anyone else. I did some testing on the line myself and I am not even using a fraction of my bandwidth. I am giving up on Microsoft...going to install Linux this weekend.

Now you're talking!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Hi Bill,

There are sites for Costa Rica which I checked out before going in March but not in Panama when I looked before going there. I was looking for a place to settle and they were on my short list. DR is a much better place for me than the two of them.

Costa Rica... TWO DAYS TRAVEL TO get in and out of the country unless you live in San Jose which is about the worst city I ever have been to. Roads are terrible to go anywhere compared to the DR. Nice beach when you finally get there and nice people.

Panama... Two days travel also and Panama City which is nicer/better than SJ CR is also a place I wouldnt live. Boquete or Bocas (mountain or beach) were the places I liked but didn't have the advantages of DR. We have 5 or 6 international Airports with great roads and transportation. 7 minutes to Airport from my condo in Sosua. That is WITH traffic. 5 minutes without.

Been there and done that:)

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
That's the kind of poop....

I'm really looking for Scott. Want to hear from folks who've looked the scene over already and hoover up their observations, experience, etc.

Seems like I've run across some information in other Forums and threads, so will continue that process while I try to craft a really good set of questions that won't get my knuckles rapped from the old hands who're no doubt tired of newbies asking the same questions.

Thanks and best, P

kelley

Sep 11, 2003
I would love to chat but can't get in.....maybe I'll try later this eve from home..........everyone saounds like fun! Escott your parties sound wild! I'd love to make it back someday....it's been a while
:)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
P,

Don't be in too much of a rush to make decisions. Don't jump into anything.

My thoughts on the DR are if you can avoid the first 5 screwings because of info gathered here and other places you stand a chance of making it there. Just be careful and go slow, look, read and listen. Great info here for sure but it is not a catch all.

Both Expats and Dominicans will take you to school and teach you well. Learn first.

Scott

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Scott-san.....

your advice well noted and rest assured I'll not be doing any cliff diving when it comes to making a move. Look forward to meeing you someday soon.

BR