Travel For Dominicans

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
OK, I've been around long enough to know that it is damn near impossible for Dominicans to get Tourist visas to the US unless they are rich etc.

I also know nearly every country in the world requires Dominicans to obtain Visas to visit.

So . . .the question is. . . .which countries are relatively easy for a Dominican to get a Visa to travel there? I would love to go away even for a weekedn to another country with my GF. She has never been outside of the DR, and I'm sure she would enjoy it.

I believe Robert told me no Visa was needed for Curacao? I asked a travel agent and she said a visa was necessary. She also seemed to think it would be tough to get one?

I'd love to take her to aruba, curacao, mexico, pretty much any place because she has never left the DR.

Any suggestions? Obviously she would be traveling with me, and if I was needed to "sponsor" or sign off that i would be paying for everything while in country etc, I would.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Try South America

I know that no visa is required for Ecuador or Peru. Do keep in mind that you would need to fly thru Panama or Venezuela since the US now requires visas even for passengers in transit.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Good news. There are a few countries where Dominicans can travel without visas. In our legal section, under Visas for Dominicans, we offer the information. The countries are: Argentina, Chile, South Korea, Ecuador, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Peru, Liechtenstein, Uruguay.

See the list at http://dr1.com/legal/migration/foreignvisas.shtml

You may want to double check that these countries are still accepting Dominicans without visas.

Marianna

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 8, 2003
What about Canada??

I know that it is very easy for Canadians to travel to the DR, what about the other way around?? This is a beautiful time of year to be here.
Regards,
Marianna

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
With all due respect, I doubt that there is any country to which Dominicans can go without a visa. They can't even go to their "gateway to the world" Venezuela, location of consulates that serve Dominicans (except for those countries with consulates in the DR itself, of course).

It has certainly been discovered by the rest of the world that Dominicans are a poor risk for returning home.

I especially don't believe that they can go to Iceland without a visa. Iceland, as a Scandinavian (yes, as discussed in another thread recently) country, has cradle to the grave welfare. It would be quickly overrun by Dominicans if it allowed them in without visas, maybe even with visas.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Andy...

Iceland is not an Scandinavian country. But just like you I am highly doubtful that a Schengen country (though not EU) would allow Dominicans in without visa. Maybe prior to 1995 (pre-Schengen) it was so. I don't think Dominicans were moving to Iceland en masse anyways.

Cuba is a good choice, not too far and very cheap if you don't mind Tony throwing cyber eggs at you later ;) And no, Dominicans don't need to be rich to be granted US visa, only low flight-risk.

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Scott,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Cubans, I believe, must get permission from their government to leave Cuba for travel to just about anywhere. My wife is a Graduate Studies Co-ordinator at Dalhousie University in Halifax, NS and always has 5 - 10 Cuban graduate students under her wing. It usually takes about a year for them to get their Cuban exit papers in order from the time they begin the process. It is even worse for a spouse to visit his/her spouse who is a graduate student in Canada. The Cuban government is concerned that neither will return so usually it requires that the visiting spouse will have an overwhelming reason to return (children left behind, etc.).

I don't see why travel to the DR for Cubans would be too different.

Gregg

Edited to add:

Perhaps I spoke too soon. This is an excerpt from the article in the Miami Herald, cited in another thread, regarding the recent arrival of 24 Cuban refugees in Puerto Rico. Based on this it would appear that Cubans can get travel documents to the DR with a written invitation to visit from a Dominican.

"All of them left Cuba with legal exit visas by obtaining letters of invitation from residents in the Dominican Republic."

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: What about Canada??

Marianna said:
I know that it is very easy for Canadians to travel to the DR, what about the other way around?? This is a beautiful time of year to be here.
Regards,
Marianna

In 2000 we granted 202 visitor visas to Dominicans the entire year vs. about 200,000 Canadian visits to the DR. Little chance unless well heeled.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
visit TCI

Visit the Turks and Caicos.
Visa is needed but it is not difficult to obtain. $1500 refundable. It is just for surety

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Escott said:
I thought I heard that Cuba was a permitted country to visit?

Can Cubans come to the DR without a problem?

anyone?

Are you really that uninformed? Cubans can't go anywhere without special permission from the Fidel and his band. IF They allowed Cuban to visit any other country in the world the Cubans would be lined up around the Peruvian embassy all over again.

"Cuba is a good choice, not too far and very cheap if you don't mind Tony throwing cyber eggs at you later "

Right Pib. Cheap if you are a hippocritical limosine liberal like Yourself. For me the Price is way to high on my conscience! Shame on you!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There are plenty of countries which, even though a visa is required, it's basically just a formality. They don't deny almost anyone. One such country is Panama. Tons of dominicans fly there to make the trip trough central America to the US. When my brother did it (12 years ago) he only needed to pay 10 US dollars for the visa. Spain should be relatively easy, likewise any country in south america as recommended by someone else earlier. In general if the person has ties to the DR (i.e. property, good job, etc...) there are only a few countries that still make it a pain in the rear to get a visa to (USA, Canada and the UK).

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Wonder Why That Is?

suarezn said:
There are plenty of countries which, even though a visa is required, it's basically just a formality. They don't deny almost anyone. One such country is Panama. ......... there are only a few countries that still make it a pain in the rear to get a visa to (USA, Canada and the UK).

Given the choice of Panama or one of the 3 "pain in the rear" countries you mention to move to illegally I wonder which would be more popular and thus be more restrictive in granting visitor visas?

Hint: Not Panama.

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
I don't think the Visa to Curacao will be as difficult to get as one to the US or Canada, I was there before and there are a lot of Dominicans there.
I know a group of Dominican girls who went to St Maarten also and it seemed they got there pretty easily, I can't say I know the paper work was totally honest because I have heard others talking about using other names and the such, but I think these girls are pretty straight up and wouldn't want to get caught scamming. Good luck

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Thanks for the info. Here is the deal. She doesn't own any property. Right now she is working with me on web sites etc, so nothing documentable. She has a few bucks in a bank. I do mean a FEW bucks, 1-2k etc. She has a son, and would never even dream of staying in whatever country we visit.

In the future, I'll most likely get her a K1 or spousal visa but for now just interested in a vacation together. She would travel to and from the other country with me and I of course would be willing to sign on as being responsible for all of her expenses while in country or even fork over a deposit such as the one mentioned for Turks and Caicos etc.

An island such as Turks and Caicos, Curacao or Aruba would be cool. Buenos Aires might be nice, and since I've never been to europe, maybe spain would be nice.

Hmmmm.. .I guess I need to speak to some travel agents and embassies etc.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Tony C[/B] said:
Right Pib. Cheap if you are a hippocritical limosine liberal like Yourself. For me the Price is way to high on my conscience! Shame on you!
Bah!

Rafael, Spain is part of the Schengen treaty. Getting a visa for any Schengen country is a lot harder than getting a visa for the US.

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
On Curacao/Aruba visas

Just to be sure you know :
Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao (ABC) and St. Maarten (as are two other petites St. Eustatius and Saba) are (independent) parts of the Dutch Kingdom and have further tightened their visa-rules. Dominicans must show sufficient financial means and, more importantly, a letter of invitation by a legal resident. And then follows the endless standing in line at the Dutch embassy in the capital. On the ABC-islands police razzias are a daily event, rounding up illegals, especially Colombians, Venezuelans, Haitians and Dominicans.
Also : Pib is totally correct about the Schengen visas (fortress Europe)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
As I said, I don't believe that there is anywhere left to which typical Dominicans can go easily. Even to apply to go to many (probably most) places requires that they hire a courier to take their passport and application to Caracas to the appropriate consulate. Venezuela considers them a poor risk even for the stated purpose of going to the only consulate that will accept their application. Neither will the public or private postal services handle the application and passport, apparently because of the possibility of theft or fraud.

Dominicans don't seem to be deterred at all by the prospect of "killing the goose that lays the golden egg."

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
On my last visit to the DR I brought my girlfriend and her son to the POP airport - I needed to exchange a rental car. She had never even been to an airport, and was completely thrilled by the glamor and excitement. I can't imagine anything more fun than bringing her to Manhattan (where I live). She'll flip!! I know it's going to be extremely difficult, but it's worth a try.

So - what is step #1 for me to take in NY? I'm determined to make it happen. - D