Why DR versus Cuba

Marianna

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 8, 2003
Hi,
Just to let some of you know why many of us our leaning towards the DR after having been in Cuba.
The average wage in Cuba for a Professional is $16-40.00 USD, paid out in pesos, prices in the shops to buy anything under the sun from food to electronics is the same as the US, and charged only in USD. There are NO JOBS for foreigners, you can not do business there unless it is with the government, no if, ands or buts! Cuba is in the process of making a complete conversion from using USD to EURO$, hoping to complete this transaction within the next year. Foreigners may not buy or own any property, and rental unit( one bedroom and a small kitchen) is at the very least $20.00 USD per day. The situation with water is not good and there are also constant power outages as well as sometimes no food to be bought anywhere some days, not in the local markets and not in the street, and sometimes there is no meat or milk in the USD$ stores either. This was as of June 2003.

So there you have it, all we want to do is live and let live.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
How is this different from the DR exactly?

The situation with water is not good and there are also constant power outages...

Not sure of who was arguing that you should have picked Cuba vs. the DR but your observations are no different than when I was there in 2000.

Actually I think there is more consistently available potable water than in the DR which has none.

Marianna

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 8, 2003
DR versus Cuba

I was making a point of referene to an island which I know well, the situation with the power and the water is not unique to some of the islands, islands with tourism as the main source of income need alternative sources of power to maintain a constant supply. Fresh water is a problem in many areas as well, the problem is that is if the fresh water supply is not treated, or boiled properly, one can get parasites. Look at the point about not being able to buy property, own or operate a business, work , or even attempt to make a living! You do not dare speak your mind about how things are there because untimately it will effect wither you or the lives of your friends, in a very negative and dangerous way!

When you go to an island, or another country, and you feel deeply about wanting to be there to live there to enjoy the people you have grown to love and respect; you actually consider spending the rest of your life there, it is hard to turn away.
But, when you really are not able to live there, it's tough!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I Still Don't Understand Your Point

Which is that you miss Cuba and would prefer to be there? Maybe you should find a Cuba 1 type of message board to find people with similar thoughts?

And once again I know of NOWHERE in the DR with water safe to drink from the tap, so if there is ANY in Cuba and I understand there is, that would make it better than the DR in that respect.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
For what it's worth!

Like many current and ex-military types, I have lived in countries all over the world and have yet to be able to drink potable water from the tap! I think such a discussion is begging the issue. Just remember one simple "rule"; You are NOT in the land of the "big PX" and the infrastructure lacks the most basic which we enjoy in 1st world societies. So quit stating the obvious and roll wirh the punches.

Texas Bill

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Marianna said:
Cuba is in the process of making a complete conversion from using USD to EURO$, hoping to complete this transaction within the next year.

Hi Marianna,
I was wondering if you could cite your sources on this? I've studied the Cuban economy thoroughly and I've never heard that they were indeed making the switch. I was in Cuba earlier this year and never once saw a Euro coin.. so perhaps this is something recent?

I know that they toyed with the idea in the late 90's and even tested the Euro in Varadero Resorts just like last year but a complete change over never came to fruition so I'm curious about where your information came from because I try to stay uptodate on the Cuban economy.

If you could send me a link or something I'd appreciate it.

I really don't see it working though, their economy is already complex as it is and to add another currency seems rather ambitious. Many believe trade relations with the US will be restored sooner than later. Having the Euro as their currency would cause many problems.

I wouldn't put it past Castro to have waken up one morning and on a whim said to himself "Yes, we will adopt the Euro"

I dont' think it will happen, but if you can provide me some current information, I'd like to read up about a possible change.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Just like in the DR I can see how Cuba would accomodate Euros in places where tourists congregate.
But Also just like it the DR Cuba relies to heavily on remitance from familes in the US sending dollars to even think of converting to Euros.
Lately the EEC has also been giving the Cold shoulder to Fidel for his latest round Human rights Violations anyway.

Any Talk of a nation converting their currency to the Euro first has to ask the main question....WHY? Why Euro instead of the US Dollar?

Marianna

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 8, 2003
Euro$ conversion

I am currently trying to dig out my source regarding the change from USD$ to EURO$ in Cuba. Who knows why the powers that be in that country do what they do! FYI read the articles in
www.ruleoflawandcuba.fsu.edu.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Re: Euro$ conversion

Marianna said:
I am currently trying to dig out my source regarding the change from USD$ to EURO$ in Cuba. Who knows why the powers that be in that country do what they do! FYI read the articles in
www.ruleoflawandcuba.fsu.edu.

Hi Marianna,
That link didn't work but I did some research and I found nothing that said Cuba was in the process of going to the euro and that it would be complete by next year. I saw that it was serioulsy considered in 1998 but nothing came of it except the euro being accepted in some tourist spots.

I'm still going to keep up with this but I doubt very seriously that Cuba would make the Euro their currency...

I think that in my lifetime or shortly after I die, the world will be made of three currencies.. The dollar in the Western Hemisphere Africa and Australia, The Euro in Europe, and the Yen in Asia.

I can see Carribean countries like DR and Cuba phasing out the peso and one day converting to dollars but not the Euro.