water, rum

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Is the water safe to drink in the Cabarete area? How about ice? What is the best rum? Thanks.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi patbro,

The water is not potable anywhere in the DR. Drink bottled water or purified water supplied by your resort.

Ice from resorts and restaurants is generally made from purified water and is safe. If you are purchasing something containing ice or water from a street vendor or on the beach - buyer beware.

The best rum is a personal choice of course and is the subject of a poll on DR1 right now. I personally go with the poll majority and prefer Brugal Extra Viejo.

Gregg

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
FireGuy: Where can locate the rum survey? This is a subject very close to my heart. Thanks

roca

Jun 23, 2003
Favorite rum

Try Barcelo Anejo. If you have extra cash, Barcelo Imperial

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Burgal is a chopo (tigre) rum, stick to Barcelo Imperial.
Buy bottle water anywhere in DR. Ice is good because almost all the ice is made with purified water.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
dying of curiosity here!

How much is a bottle of Barcelo Imperial? a twenty-sixer?

thanks.

PS Fireguy, your 'Here it is' cracked me up. Very chivalrous!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have consumed all kinds of drinks with ice in it, even from street vendors in DR. I have never gotten sick from dominican ice ever. I have been living here for 6 years and traveling to this country for many years before that. Ice is good here.

A bottle of barcelo Imperial = 210 pesos or if the store keeper is your friend then the price becomes: 190 pesos. This is ths standard sized round short bottle of imperial 750ml (I think). There are other bottles of imperial which are special edition and cost alot more.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Most people prefers BRUGAL

AZB said:
Burgal is a chopo (tigre) rum, stick to Barcelo Imperial.
Buy bottle water anywhere in DR. Ice is good because almost all the ice is made with purified water.

I really hate when you people call others chopos, any educated person use here that word( forget Mr.H) and between people living in barrios (just because they are poor) calling then chopos could mean a death sentence to you. Nevertheless Brugal is right now the best rum that PEOPLE of all kind here and around the word prefer ......:mad: :angry:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thfppt!

Brugal is the, ahem, least expensive Rum. Not the best. We colloquially refer to it here at Xanadu as Brutal not Brugal, because that more nearly describes it's effect on you. 'Extra Old' or not. Here 'Brutal' is for the guests. 'Imperial' is for the guy paying the bills. Me!

Ohmigod! Did I just post something agreeing with AZB? :confused: Rob's going to yank my jefe priveleges! I am confused! I need to go back and search for my core values. Someone help! No! Not with that, I said Imperial please not Brugal! Time to go back to NFL Football ...

Last edited:

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
with all due respect

With all my due respect to Mr. Moderator, thanks for consider the guests prefering BRUGAL since there is only a MODERATOR all others become guests ...so I AM RIGHT , am I? ...so every one but MR . Moderator and AZB could be drinking BRUGAL . And don't become duped by pricing ...there is a marketing strategic of over pricing some products (that does not mean they are the best quality) solely to attract persons that like to be considered different from the rest ....:alien:

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
Rum!!

Ahh!! a subject close to my heart!!

We have here, as no doubt every Caribbean island has, not that we officially belong to the Caribbean mind you, our own brand of rum.

Here in Bermuda we have some stuff called Gosling's Black Seal rum.
We mix it with a potent local brew of ginger beer and call it Dark n' Stormy

Interestingly Bacardi has its headquarters here too.
20 years ago, they did a rum tasting and not long after out came Bacardi
Reserve.

Strangely enough locals like Cockspur, Bajan rum, and coke more than any other.
Extra Old Mount Gay sells well, personally I wouldn't give that English crap Captain Morgan's room on any bar's shelf. Yes I came from there originally......

When on a cruise I picked up some Cruzan 2 year old dark rum and it goes down so smooth you wouldn't believe!

It's now available here for $25.......

Rich........

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Just got back.................................

and my "bodega" to the north of the island is
now restocked with Bermudez Rum.

Salud!

JD