Staying Healthy In The DR

Pogibro

Jun 8, 2003
I just returned from my first trip to the DR (Cabarete). Loved it all except one thing. There were two of us and both of us had one case of food poisoning (different nights) during the trip, and daily, but not too severe diarhia throughout the whole trip. It started on the 4th day and ended when we returned home. We drank bottled water, even for brushing, and always asked about the ice at restaurants and were assured that it came from filtered water. So... I have two questions for the local veterans...

1. WHere did we go wrong?

2. Can anyone recommend any simple, natural cures for the DR trots?

Thanks mucho, Amigos!

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Probably restaurant kitchens. I take every measure possible but I have the same problem on about 50% of my trips. Immodium is always packed and ready if needed.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
There was a recent thread that pointed out how tourists visiting here eat more fruit than they do normally in the US, which could cause the runs. You should do a search and try to locate it.

Had my nieces (12 and 10) from Dallas over in August. They went to camp, traveled to several points of the country eating local food -- even oysters at Punta Rucia -- and they never used bottled water for brushing, ate everything and did everything and didn't get sick. That reinforces my own perception that everyone has a different body make up. Of course it matters how much water you were downing -- soft drinks, alcoholic beverages don't count.

Some time ago we put together this piece on travel health, http://dr1.com/travel/prepare/health.shtml

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
you have to be careful

I got sick on one trip . I ate in a restaurant in sosua but I cant remember its name (Iis right next to the bologna, to the left of that outside bar). I ordered tuna salad. It tasted a little funny but I ate it anyway. The mayonaise must have been left out in the heat and soured because about an hour after I finished, I got really flushed and I got severe diareahea. I just layed down in my hotel room until my body processed it out..took a few hours. Then I was ok. You have to be careful. I will avoid anything with mayo in the future and next time anything tastes funny, I wont eat it.
Larry

Dec 9, 2002
No matter how careful you are with water etc. you never know what goes on in kitchens. And that is the same all over the world. I think the point Dolores made about eating more fruit is very true, but also fruit juices too - I have the occasional glass of OJ at home but over there I drink litres of the stuff - orange, passionfruit, pineappple, grapefruit, even melon - all much much tastier than what we get in England.

All you can do is be as careful as possible, make sure you pack Immodium or something similar, and hope for the best!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You didn't say what you ate or where? Salad sometimes causes trouble if the lettuce, etc., was washed in water from the faucet. Was all the meat well cooked? Mayonaise, as has already been mentioned, can be a problem because of improper refrigeration. Did you buy food from street vendors? Were you eating in restaurants where you ordered your meal or from a buffet in the hotel dining room? If the latter, something eaten there might have gone bad from being out of refrig too long.

Food poisoning is one thing. Diarrhea is another. It is not uncommon no matter where you travel. Some people have more trouble than others adjusting to change in waters, food, etc. Also, when on vacation many people drink more and sleep less.

I have a sister who takes Pepto Bismal on a regular basis when traveling, whether she has diarrhea or not. She claims it helps ward off the common causes for diarrhea.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I would guess that the majority of times stomach sickness is caused by intolerance to "foreign food" more than to bad cooking practices. I have a steel stomach, I can eat anything, anywhere and seldomly get sick.

My husband on the other hand gets sick the first week anywhere, even back home in DK. My dad is the extreme, anything not cooked at home will most times send him running for the john. So, I guess everybody reacts differently to food that they are not used to eating, plus, as Dolores pointed out, an increase in the ingestion of fiber won't sit well with most people.

Having said that, people have to exercise some caution when choosing what to eat, even locals but foreigners more so. Eat fresh salad only in reputable restaurants, avoid mayonnaise, avoid "oily" food, eat only small fish (search for Ken's advice on the archives). Ah, and bring some good reading material, just in case ;)

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
simple precautions to have more fun...

Dolores said:
. Of course it matters how much water you were downing -- soft drinks, alcoholic beverages don't count.

Everyone is different.
I had very little time, and did not want to be sick for a minute, so, I just assumed, I have an American's lack of immunity. Because i have not traveled, to get exposed to things, or to know how i will react.
Most inportant, drink bottled water. I do this even in the US, sometimes. Go to the grocery store and get your own. It is fun, and you learn so much! One USD got me about 3 gallons of water!
Many, many, people who get sick are really dehydrated. Starts on the plane. because the air is dry. Backpackers put it best, if a little blunt.... "Pee, Pale, Pee," and if you don't, drink more and keep drinking.
Dehydration can cause an amazing amount of upset to the gut and nausea, vomiting, headaches, and dia. Then you MUST drink even more water, to catch up.
For example, I traveled with people who got sick because they thought drinking Pedialyte [an electrolyte drink] would protect them. They felt bad the whole time. They needed water.
I use water, and save 'lytes for problems and Jello water for when I get messed up.
Second.... wash your hands a lot, and keep your fingers out of your mouth.

All the rest ...
I was extra careful even washing my face hands and hair in bottled water. It was cheap, so why not. I drank beer from the bottle, never know who washed the glass. I tried to eat only fruit i peeled myself too.
Freshly cooked food, that is still hot, is another good idea. Buffets and hotel food is not the best idea. They cook lots ahead of time, and then it sits. Again, even in the US.
I asked to go to popular local places and eat fresh hot food. I tried to eat everything in sight.
Filtered water is not bottled water, and is less safe. Unless you use a fancy set of special filters and keep them very clean. I carried an expensive filter and disinfectant system with me just in case i got stranded, or turned out to have a sensitive gut. I also carried enough food with me so I could survive on it if i had to. I have one friend who can not eat local food when she travels. For her travel means snack bars, power bars, crackers, etc. But she keeps going, and always has an extra case for purchases.
I did eat salad that was washed with a little clorox, and watermelon and tomatoes... I way over did it. Anyway, 'I got a good cleaning out, ' as they say. So i drank lots of water, took my Pepto, and was ok by morning, and good by evening. I learned my lesson. But boy was it good, and it was worth it. Someday i will return to the DR, and try the fruit drinks and ice cream, and everything else i missed.
Go hungry before eating something you know is unsafe. Hunger is just another novel experience.
By trying only one risky thing a day, you learn what you can and can not do, yet. Knowing how long after you ate it, before you get sick can give you an idea of what kind of sick it is.
Also, give your body a chance, get used to things slowly. Try just a little at first. And enjoy the adventure.
-k

Last edited:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
An easy tropical cure for the "trots"> squeeze three limes, add 2 spoons of salt to this juice, and drink it down in the evening.

Tastes like salty battery acid, but in the morning, you won't be "running" to the bathroom anymore. May also be a good preventative to do this every night you are here visiting.