Big A$$ dogs

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
I have heard that many locals are afraid (above and beyond) of big dogs. I wonder if we will have any invasion problems? We have 2 great danes and a cocker. Even though the danes are wusses to our family members, a growl from a 160 pound black dog should at least allow you to hear the burgular piss his pants before he even enters the house.

Seriously, anything you can do to convince persons outside of your home not to enter, could be a good thing. Stickers on the windows saying you have animals, or alarms or whatever can be more effective than the real systems in some cases. Putting big dog food bowls or a huge collar and leash by the back door can be good as well.

Maybe one of those mobile motion detectors people use when traveling would be a good idea. Doesn't have to be hard wired.

Just ideas. I wouldn't go overboard with paranoia. Criminals look for easy opportunity. Dumb, yes...but sometimes they are not completely stupid. IF they think your house is a greater risk than reward, they will move on to easier pickin's.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
very good

Terrific advice. Most burglars weigh risk versus reward. They choose to burglarize a premise rather than physically rob an individual because they do not want to encounter any resistance or problems. They want to slip in and out undetected with whatever they can. If they even "think" you have a dog or an alarm or detector of some sort they will most likely move to the next potential location. I "beware of dog" sign is a simple but effective tool in preventing burglaries.
Larry

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
The Bark Not The Bite

You are sooo right about dogs. Sometimes, it's not the size that counts. It's the fact that any noise out of the ordinary puts them on alert and thus the would be theives.

Ours is a mini dachshund with a very big bark and he patrols constantly. Little guy would do very little damage, but makes a great alarm.

Dianne