Sometimes you're too close........

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
I have come to the opinion that people who either live or spend a lot of time in the DR have no idea what a national treasure they have in Bachata music. Maybe it's lack of status in the DR is due to the Bachata's association with lower class Dominicans, oppression of women, redundant themes, airwave saturation, who knows? Take it from me, I have to download it from the internet just to hear it ; and it's a labor of love! The melodies, instrumentation, and vocals of the Dominican (and some Puerto Rican) Bachata artists are fantastic. The wealth of variety that exists within the constraints of the same dance beat amazes me. All this praise from a guy who can't understand the lyrics! I love music and have listened daily for 50 years to all types and for me Bachata has no equal. That the timing of Frank Reyes in Nada de Nada, the soulfulness in the vocals of Anthony Santos in A noche Sone Con Ella, the harmony of Monchy y Alexander in Dos Locos, the melody of Mientele, and the social commentary of Aventura in Amor de Madre can all be found within the same genre is unique to Bachata. Listening to the repetiveness of Merengue only reinforces my opinion. And, as a bonus, you get to dance a structured dance where you actually interact with your partner. What could be better?
If you have the time or inclination I would greatly appreciate your help in my internet search for Bachata songs. I have filled one CD with the following Bachatas:

Mientele ---- Frank Reyes
Un Poquito de Amor ---- El Gringo de la Bachata
Anoche Sone Con Ella ---- Antony Santos
Obsesion ---- Aventura
Nana de Nada ---- Frank Reyes
Hoja En Blanco ---- Monchy y Alexandra
Que Vuela ---- Alex Bueno
Amor de Madre ---- Aventura
Amor in Silencio ---- Frank Reyes
Dos Locos ---- Monchy y Aleandra
Quando Volveras ---- Aventura
Querio Saber De Ti ---- Frank Reyes
Tu Eras Ajena ---- Frank Reyes
Mi Queiro Morir ---- Antony Santos
Mi Nina ---- Los Toros Band
Te Querio Iqual Que Ayer ---- Monchy y Alexandra
Perdi El Control ---- Aventura

I've got a second one started with:

Alexandra ---- Aventura
Gringo Muere De Dolor ---- El Gringo de la Bachata
Medicina de Amor ---- Raulin Rodriguez
Voy Pa Ya ---- Antony Santos
Si No Regresa ---- Daniel Moncion

Have I got all the good ones already? I know picking favorites is pretty subjective but if you've got some I'd love to know, it would save me a lot of time hunting. Thanks in advance

linz

Jan 30, 2003
i'm with you!

i'm addicted to 'nada de nada'!!! try http://laritmo.com/mag/archive.php3?cat_nb=5&page=1 there are fairly new bachata and merengue charts on the site.

edited to add: buy the CD's. even if you only recognize one song, chances are you'll like the rest of the artist's work. help the country out!!! don't steal from a third world country by downloading their work.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Golfer said:
Maybe it's lack of status in the DR is due to the Bachata's association with lower class Dominicans, oppression of women, redundant themes, airwave saturation,

And those are the good points!

Count me among the majority of people on this planet who cannot stand Bachata for all those reason you wrote plus many more I can think of.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Golfer, are you admitting you are ripping off the artists who do this work as their living? If you truly love their music, but are busy looking for free downloads instead of CD's to buy, why are you so cheap and dishonest that you would steal their work? Don't you want them to have motivation to produce more "great" music in the future?

Last edited: