Writing US software from the DR

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
Hi,

If I write software for a US company while living in the DR. What are the international trade issues that come into play. Do I have to pay US import duties? Also, will it make any difference if I am an employee of the company or an independent contractor?

Thanks,
Bruce

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Boy, do you need a change of 'latitude!' After a few years of writing software here you wouldn't even have thought to ask that question. After 3 years of living here I can't imagine why anyone would care? LOL. Come on down, it'll sort itself out!

Tom (aka XR)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
XR is right. These things kinda disappear once you live here. But if you're an employee, then you are liable for US taxes. If you're a contractor, you should have a business structure set up. Do a search on the board for adrianb and many of your questions will be answered. Adrianb has been looking for information on similar lines. After you've searched, feel free to post specific questions on the board.

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I looked at some of adrianb postings. I know that I will be liable for cretin US income taxes. Will the code that I write be considered an import product by the US and subject to tariffs?

Thanks again,
Bruce

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
That I don't know. The code that we send to the US, is usually sent electronically and we don't bother with telling anyone anything.... Would be a worth while question to ask a Lawyer skilled in importation of intellectual capital type materials - as I think code is in any case 'not real'. But, then again, how can they tax intellectual capital? I think there is a difference between a completed, compiled and packaged software product, and code.
We have an offshore technical company and it is a straight buy/sell transaction without taxes.... Is this the right way? I don't know. All I know is that no-one has asked us any questions...