Too Hot!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm tellin' ya! It's way too hot here!
I don't remember sweating this much in the past few summers. Is it me or is it really extra hot?
Is this because of the storm passing or is it all my imagination?
Anyone else thinking its unusually hot? Or could it be I'm starting to go through change of life...

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
It's just you.

DR weather is paradise. The temperature of 98.6 matches that of the body.

What more could you want?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Words fail me

Besides the idea of missing yet another wonderfully robust and stunningly gorgeous fall in New England - sweatshirt weather - the weather on this scorched piece of polluted coral is off the hook hot.

I saw a tree explode into flames today.

They were selling shade for 15 pesos per square foot.

I saw a woman carrying gold bars in her arms and she was mugged for her umbrella.

Ice was only being sold only in dollars.

Hippolito put a 15% tax on Air conditioners today. 35% if you plug them in. 55% if you don't pay your electricity, and 85% if you do!!

I'M LOSING MY F'N MIND!!!!!!!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
That's great Cleef !!!

Words fail me too - whenever posters (usually newcomers) talk about how they're going to the DR because of the paradise-like weather. Their exposure consists of staying under an air-conditioner in an AI (they never heard of power outages).

In fact, it's the biggest problem of all in the DR. Proof - what other problem causes people to actually pack up and leave? I've never heard of anyone actually leaving because of the noise, dirty water, thievery, power outages, etc.

In New England, a jacket, or blanket, or worst case - a small, affordable, heater can make one comfortable.

"Know the truth and the truth will set you free."

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: That's great Cleef !!!

andy a said:
Words fail me too - whenever posters (usually newcomers) talk about how they're going to the DR because of the paradise-like weather. Their exposure consists of staying under an air-conditioner in an AI (they never heard of power outages).

In fact, it's the biggest problem of all in the DR. Proof - what other problem causes people to actually pack up and leave? I've never heard of anyone actually leaving because of the noise, dirty water, thievery, power outages, etc.

In New England, a jacket, or blanket, or worst case - a small, affordable, heater can make one comfortable.

"Know the truth and the truth will set you free."

Anybody who lives north of Ft.Lauderdale is an idiot.
Anybody who says they like the Winter up north is delusional.

A small heater? A blanket? Please!!!!!!!! Crank up the furnace. Where are my long johns? Why would anybody live in New England?

Nobody when they talk about PARADISE ever mentions snow drifts and frostbite!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Tony C

The best time I ever had was in the winter in Scandinavia - Finland to be precise.

Now that was paradise !!!

Not much to do except the best thing in the world.

They don't ask for money, either.

A cozy little fire shuts out even 40 below.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I do miss my big bulky Peruvian wool sweaters. I couldn't part with them when I came here so I left them at my moms house incase I ever visited in winter.
Took me a long time getting used to sleeping without a blanket. It was sort of like a comfort thing. I liked the weight on me. Now its just a sheet and sometimes its too hot. I can't sleep without something on me.
Right now its midnight. Fan is on high, directly on me, and I'm sweating. I keep dumping water on me to cool off.
But still love it here and thank God that I have some good deoderant(all the people I know are thankful also!!)

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Jan,

I'm the same way.

Unfortunately, in the DR, it's only possible part of the time in Dec. and Jan.

In my opinion that is a big reason that the DR is intellectually challenged - they don't get enough "quality" sleep.

I can halfway stand the heat during the day - provided that I can get a cool night's sleep and start afresh the next day, but it's seldomly possible in the DR.

The discomfort level seems to accumulate. The longer I go without quality sleep, the even more useless I become.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
On top, looking down

Tony C said:
Anybody who lives north of Ft.Lauderdale is an idiot.
Anybody who says they like the Winter up north is delusional.

Why would anybody live in New England?

Nobody when they talk about PARADISE ever mentions snow drifts and frostbite!
PARADISE for me is 10-14" dumping of the fluffy stuff on a Tuesday when all the suckers are still at work and I'm the first one on the lift.

Snowboarding on fresh, fluffy powder isn't better than sex, it is sex.

But Tony C, I love to hear people spout like you. I want everyone to despise winters. Yes, please move your blue hair and white knuckled drivers to Fla. Go wear your neon Izod windbreakers, shine your Cadillacs and get your medicaid in the sunshine state, go go go. Go play with Mickey, Donald and Goofy, and leave no tips for the early bird specials.

You go to Florida to die, I go to New England to live.

(did I mention I was going crazy?)

Last edited:

Arve

Oct 13, 2002
You people are pulling my leg, right? :) I've had minus 40c and
plus 40c. One of those is warm and pleasant, the other is
very, very cold indeed. I'd rather fry than freeze.

A cosy little fire often also mean outdoor toilet and an
unfortunate volunteer dispatched to get more logs from some
forest somewhere. Check up a random photo of a Finnish
world champion too see what I mean, not one will be smiling.

How I love to watch the morn,
With golden sun that shines,
Up above to nicely warm
These frosty toes of mine.
The wind doth taste of bittersweet,
Like jasper wine and sugar,
I bet it's blown through others' feet,
Like those of...Caspar Weinberger.

( By B. Breathed. )

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
hot

May 30th: Just moved to El Paso. Now this is a city that knows how
to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the
sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my
home. I love it here.

June 14th: Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an
air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the
sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

June 30th: Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of
cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for
me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th: The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get
used to this kind of heat? At least it's kind of windy though. But getting
used to the heat is taking longer that I expected.

July 15: Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of
my body). Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though.
Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th: I missed Morgan (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this
morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Morgan had died and
swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $2,000 leather
upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car > now smells like Kibbles and
shits. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

July 25th: The wind sucks. It feels like a giant freaking blow dryer!! And
it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and the AC repairman
charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th: Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. $1,500 in damn
house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug. 4th: It's 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today It
cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 85, but this freaking humidity
makes the house feel like it's about 95. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid
city.

Aug. 8th: If another wise ass cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going
to strangle him. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling
over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

Aug. 9th: Tried to run some errands after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the
black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my ass was on fire. I lost 2
layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and ass. Now my car smells
like burnt hair, fried ass, and baked cat.

Aug. 10th: The weather report might as well be a damn recording. Hot and
sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do shit for 2 damn
months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever
rain in this damn desert? Water rationing will be next, so my $1700 worth of
cactus just might dry up and blow into the damn pool. Even the cactus can't
live in this damn heat.

Aug. 14th: Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 115 today. Forgot to crack
the window and blew the damn windshield out of the car. The installer came to
fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1500
house payment to bail me out of jail. Freaking Texas.

What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Bitch, bitch, bitch!

Wear shorts, t-shirt and sit in the shade with a breeze. That'll cool you off!
All you "damnyankees" do is complain about the weather being too hot. Don't you know that is the norm down here???
If you want to enjoy the DR, get aclimatized by staying outside instead of inside in airconditioned comfort. The body will adjust over a short period of time and you'll be a lot better off by sweating all the poisons out of your system. Drink a lot of water, put 1/2 tsp of salt in the palm of your hand and lick it while you drink the water. You'd be surprised how much better you'll feel.

Texas Bill

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
too hot for y'all?

... come on out.

Snow today--yes it's Tuesday!--in Calgary, Alberta. 10 cm expected, lots more in the mountains. I'm a little farther south, missing it for now. But temp is a cool 2 degrees C.

Hey, Jan, I'm doing the same thing with sweaters, etc... leaving with my mother.

About temperature... on north shore what happens in the country? Even muggier, less breeze? Where would one need to live to find the mountain effect to some degree, a little cooler ... or is that a moot point this time of year, regardless?

Dawn

PS LOL floridabob!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
See? We need a weather forum!

DAWNWIL the south coast is the worst here on the island for heat, and humidity. Never a big problem in Sosua or Cabarete because there's always a great breeze. Especially along the beach from Cabarete eastward. Here, it get's hotter and muggier inland just a few miles in some places without the breeze. Then a little further in, you can get up a few hundred feet (or more) in the air into the foothills. You still have the few, a great breeze and it's a little cooler. The mountains can be really comfortable, good for sweaters between the north coast and santiago. Santiago is very hot IMO but the air is drier. The mountains SW of Santiago are great, refreshing, and cool. Some peaks are easily cold enough (as low as 10F!) for snow, but it never snows here. Too far south really. Santo Domingo is always ridiculously hot and humid.

Tom (aka XR)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Snow is great for skiing for a few days. After that get my ass out of there.

Nothing I like better than watching reports on TV about Blizards up north then stepping out on my patio and feel the warm tropical Breezes wrap around my body.

Gets a little too warm? That is what a pool is for. Ever try swimming up north in December? Golf? Bikini Watching? Even driving?

Everything Dies up north in Sept. I like my trees and plants Green!

The Fishing is better down here anyway.

Florida Lobster Kicks Maine Spiders ass.

I love to go Shrimping in Nov.

Send all those tourists down. I love them. It is because of them and their Tax Dollars that Florida does not have a state income tax and our state Sales tax is only 6%

Nobody gets "Cabin Fever" in Miami!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The other side of the coin

DEAR DIARY
Aug. 12 Moved to Michigan. It is so beautiful here. The rolling green hills are so nice. Can hardly wait to see snow covering them.
Oct. 14 Michigan is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful hills and saw some deer. They are so graceful. Certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.
Nov. 11 Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill Such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will start to snow soon. I love it here.
Dec. 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed in white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snowplow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautiful place. I love Michigan.
Dec. 12 More snow last night. I love it. The snowplow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.
Dec. 19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. Fricking snowplow.
Dec. 22 More of that white crap fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snowplow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. Butthole!
Dec. 25 Merry Fricking Christmas. More friggen snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-b**ch who drives the snowplow I swear I'll Kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the damn ice.
Dec. 27 More White crap last night. Been inside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snowplow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white crap. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the crap again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is?
Dec. 28 The fricking weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white crap this time. At this rate it won't melt before summer. The snowplow got stuck up in the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the crap he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his damn head.
Jan. 4 Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of my car and I hit it. Did about $3000 damage to the car. Those damn beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.
May. 3 Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from the fricking salt they put all over the roads?
May 10 Moved to Florida. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that God-forsaken state of Michigan.

At least I wish I could move back to warm weather. After almost 15 years in Michigan, still not used to the cold. Absolutely hate it.

Dawnwill: Snowing in Calgary already! Wow...I'm glad I my project there didn't last very long. I guess you can't sit outside at Joey Tomato's to watch the talent anymore...

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Summertime in the DR

Yep, we are newbie residents, and we also have an a/c in the bedroom. But that doesn't change the fact that it is hot! Granted, this is our first full summer here and it probably doesn't help that we have a high, solid wall on three sides of the house. Step out on the street and the temperature goes down at least five degrees. Without fans during the day and a/c at night, I would be a mental case. Actually, I still am, but that's another thread.

Incidentally, I have lived many places were summer heat is the same or worse than here, Georgia, Alabama, Florida and Saudi Arabia to name a few. So, the only thing I can come up with is that it must be age and the fact that I am female. Danny (and the dog) have no problems.

The only thing keeping me from becoming a nudist is that I would not subject anyone to my wrinkles, skin folds and sags. That and the fact that clothes do soak up some of the sweat and protect a few spots from the skeeters.

All this to say yes Jan, it is hot.

By the way, Floridabob's post was so funny and puts some of our trials here in prospective. Gotta love it!

Dianne

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Wear jeans...sweat like all get out!

Wear light colored pants...filthy in 10 minutes

Wear skirt or dress...get chaffed in your tweener(this is where
your legs rub together..carry lots of powder)

Wear shorts..all the tour guides bug you cause they think your
a tourist

I know...go naked and see what happens!!!

Then after your sweating a few hours try rubbing your flesh. Get all these nice little dirt balls. Wash. 1 hour later more dirt balls!

Really tho, its better than freezing. At least this is what I keep trying to tell myself.

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Nothing wrong with cold weather . . . .

Some of my best memories were after coming in from the cold and . . . . . . cuddling up . . . . . . . . infront of a fire.

Nothing beats a fire in the winter for fun. . . .

-Lee

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Yeah -it's hot!!

Lovely isn't it? Hot and humid - just how we like it!
Got a bit worried early this morning at 6.00am as it was a little chilly, nearly had to wear a tee shirt down on the beach when we walked the dogs - then the sun came up and the Cabarete breeze kicked in for a little while and it was all lovely again.
Seriously though, those sufferers will get used to it but we do understand the hot flushes thing in the night and the lack of a really good cool nights sleep. (Fortunately we've been conditioned having lived in the Middle East for the last 15 years where A/C's are a must with high humidity and temperatures touching 49 deg C in the summer). This climate is a breeze!!!