Airline Travel During Hurricane Isabel

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Hello To Everyone,

XR: Even though I don't post often, I have been reading with interest the Hurricane Isabel topics.

My husband is in Santo Domingo, he's supposed to fly to NYC Wednesday night. Just wondering if anyone has flown to or from NYC/Santo Domingo yesterday, today. What was the flight like?

AA website is offering to change flights for any travel during 16-23.
I'm a little nervous about flying in the same path as the hurricane.

Thanks,

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
No Need to Be Nervous

Airplanes in flight regularly encounter winds in the atmosphere moving at hundreds of miles an hour. Sometimes it's with you, sometimes it's against you, but it's normal. Hurrican hunter jets do get a rough ride sometimes, but they even fly directly into the eye sampling winds and pressures with little ill effect.

Anyway, no pilot of a commercial airliner is going to fly into the center of Isabel, or even into any of the heavy thunderstorms nearby. Tends to spill the cokes on the refreshment cart. Probably anyone flying is just getting some great views if the flight hasn't detoured to far from the center.

My suggestion? Take your camera, get a window seat, and take some pics between here and the DR. And share them with us in the media gallery!

Tom (aka XR)

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Thanks XR!!!

You put a smile on my face.
Everyone up here is bracing for the storm, getting supplies,etc.
It was getting me nervous.

I'll tell him to make sure he has his camera.

Again, thanks!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
One Other Thing ...

Not to take the smiley away, but the only caveat is that you do not want to land or take-off when a hurricane or it's associated thunderstorms are over the airport. That's bad.

Otherwise, no problems!

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
He'll be flying into JFK Wednesday 10:00 pm

I guess i'll have to keep an eye on what is happening today.

Have you looked at Isabel's track today?

Do you think it will hit the carolinas or keep going north?

AA is giving you the option of changing any flights during this period, i'm not sure if he'll just miss the hurricane, but I don't want to wait too long to make any changes.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
Thanks XR!!

Didn't want to delay his plane another day.

As you said, Isabel certainly has an aversion Dominicans.
Isabel is my mother-in-law's and daughters name.

Good to see she's watching from above.

thanks,
Lucy