importing a dog from Australia

bealey79

Sep 16, 2003
HI all,
I am needing to know what the requirements are for me to bring a dog into the Dominican Republic. I have a looked @ previous threads but couldn't find it. I need to know what vet certificates are needed and anything that might make it easier and smoother. He is a 7 month old puppy. Border collie, child's pet.
Thanks

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
beware of American Air

DR regulations may not be your bigest problem!
None of this may affect you because you are Austrailian, I just wanted to warn you about unforseen difficulties.
It was many years ago but...
I bought an Austrailian Border Collie. Had to have it certified by the Austrialian Agriculture service as not a sheep dog, etc. Complicated and expensive.
At the last minute problems. I had booked freight in LA, to LA, for
$80 with American Airlines.
The Austrailian office inssisted on $600, no amount of talking seemed to clear up the problem. The Austrailin government required that the pup leaving be under a certain age. So, eventually i had to give up on my puppy!
Sadder but wiser
-k

Last edited:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Any decent kennel in Australia will have a list of requirements for importing dogs to any country.
From what I can remember from bringing our dogs from Dubai in the UAE to the DR you need a health certificate which must not be older than ????? weeks and a rabies etc. certificate which has to be older than ???? weeks! The actual import certificate we got at the airport in POP as the dogs arrived, from the vet at the airport, it was easy really.
For better info suggest you contact the vet Dr Bob Amelingmeier on the North Coast - agape@codetel.net.do - he should be able to point you in the right direction.
Australia to the DR? One hell of a trip for the dog!!!!

bealey79

Sep 16, 2003
HI all,
Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the Customs here and there is no documentation here in Australia. However I got hold of someone that had done it. There won't be any problems due to him being a professional show dog (shots and certificates are done by the government at no charge to me). Thanks for the quick response.
Happy reading.;)