Dengue in the Cibao, is this the West Nile virus?

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
I read and heard the Dengue epidemic, or virus is already causing havoc in the Cibao.
As usual the authorities give a rap about this.

Is this the same as the West Nile virus?

Has anyone heard something?

Please, shed some light

Aj

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Dengue is Dengue not the West Nile Virus

ajicaribe said:
I read and heard the Dengue epidemic, or virus is already causing havoc in the Cibao.
As usual the authorities give a rap about this.

Is this the same as the West Nile virus?

Has anyone heard something?

Please, shed some light

Aj

Dengue is a virus that cuses a fever and extreme bone and muscle ache (hence it being called break-bone fever) and in some cases a hemorragic fever (like Ebola) after you've been infected with the milder form.

West Nile Virus is a virus that affects birds fatally and gets transmitted to humans by mosquitoes and you get sick occasionally fatally ( the elderly in particular)

So they are not alike the same as polio is not diptheria is not rubella is not cholera.

Use a strong DEET containing mosquito repellent outdoors and you minimize the risk of both. I have not heard of the DR ahving any cases of West Nile at all.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Haven't yet heard about a major problem anywhere, but dengue fever is not unknown in the DR. Outbreaks of dengue fever more likely in poor barrio areas where there is a lot of standing water for the dengue mosquitos to breed in.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i thought dengue was prevalent everywhere in the d.r.
i honestly don't think there is some kind of 'hush up' with the dengue numbers - there could be bad reporting of cases, but no 'hush up'.

i have had dengue twice now.
the first time, i was too young to remember (and it wasn't in the dr). the second time was a couple of years ago.
the first week was bad, and just as you think you are getting better, it really hits you - it was a real effort to move, or do anything.

i know a lot of rich, as well as poor children who have had it. doesn't seem to be any serious after effects.

if they told me there was malaria here - then i would be more worried.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Add horses....

as another animal susceptable to West Nile. They seem particularly vulnerable according to news reports in US. Don't know if that strain transmits to humans or not.

Was there not a nasty outbreak of Dengue Fever in Puerto Rico a couple of years back? Now, that's one SERIOUS disease. As pointed out already, skeeters are the vector, so if there's any of them critters flitting about here's a few steps that folks, especially visitors, might consider:

1. Insect repellant, especially at night. Problem is that most of it smells to high heaven and if you're in miniskirts you'll go thru a ton of it. Another problem: it might repel guys along with the insects.

2. In the US many pharmacies and sports shops sell impregnated wrist bracelets that we used to also slip on an ankle [start a new fashion accessory craze - a business opportunity for someone?] since mosquitos like to lurk under dark tables at night.

3. Light colored clothing is recommended.

4. Citronella in whatever form [candles, wrist bracelets, etc] seems to be pretty effective.

Visitors might throw a few items in their suitcase as cheap insurance, justincase.

Best, P