Any comments on Paradisus? Holy week?

AllenH

Sep 16, 2003
We have booked the Paradisus for the first full week of April '04 which is Holy Week. First, does anyone have any comments on the quality of this resort?

During spring break the last three years (we are Teachers) we have stayed at AI's in the Playa Del Carmen, Mexico area (Iberostar Tucan & Parasio) which we loved. This year we decided to try the DI. We booked this resort through recommendations of our travel agent. However, I have come across some posts on travel boards that really put this resort down and noted many problems with the rooms, the service, etc. I'm sure some of these posts are bogus but would like any feedback anyone has. We usually spend our time at the beach, playing in the waves, reading, playing in the pool and having a few drinks (not necessarily in that order). We also like taking one or two half day excursions to see the sites and shop as well as snorkeling and jet skis. Anyone have tips?

I read in a travel book that activities slow down or stop the last few days of Holy Week through Easter Sunday. Does this affect the services at the resorts? Are there any special activities that occur during Holy Week? Again, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks! - Allen

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Activities at the hotel and those provided by tour companies don't slow down during Holy week. This is a time when every Dominican who can possibly do so goes to the beach. So, in your hotel, every otherwise vacant room will be filled with Dominicans starting the Thursday before Easter, and you are likely to see Domincans in a holiday mood wherever you go.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Allen,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

There are certain areas (most tourist areas) in which motorized sports activities are banned during Semana Santa. All other activities are unchanged as Ken correctly states. While the Dominicans are enjoying the resort during the latter part of Holy Week, why not hire a driver and get out of that sterile enclave and experience some of the "Real Dominican Republic". You might just like it or worse, fall in love with it.

Gregg