Are you curious about??????

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Did you know that.......(things you will not find in the press)

-Many people who traveled with Hippo to Spain were officials and members of their families who had no other business than to visit family members who live in Spain. Hippo favored them knowing they could use a free seat paid with our taxes.
-The man who killed 4 members of his family and then committed suicide with his own gun, obtained a permit to carry guns using a "formulario 25" obtained by a "buscon". This man was never screened for a gun permit.
-Gang shootouts are happening in our barrios every weekend near colmadones with the frequency of traffic arguments, yet the police never shows up, except when the bodies are left on the ground for hours. Members use a machete and a saca higado in each hand to start the fight and then guns to finish up. Rock throwing has been taken to an art. Presidente grandes are weapon of choice for those without knives and guns. A favorite gang hangout is Orlandos disco on Isabel Aguiar, where the owner was shot last year by the owner of the disco next door.
-The most dangerous town in DR today is Villa Altagracia. This mess of a town is the equivalent of Dodge City. Stay away from it. And if you drive farther north, Bonao is no Disneyland.
-Almost 30% of the shops at Diamond Mall are now closed due to the financial mess Hippo has put us thru. For sale signs are all over the place in store fronts. This week, only the movie houses had some action.
-Anthonys, a mini department store has bucked the trend by tripling their square footage in Plaza Central. This Mall is the least affected by this economy. This is now the chopo mall, but it is frequented by rich people and celebrities.
-The best Dominican mass type ice cream is now sold by Nestle. Besides incredibly low prices, their quality is superb. Their new flavors Guanabana and melon are a must. Bon is the worst. So bad is the situation with Bon, that their neighborhood parlors have no tables for seating, the ice cream melts for lack of refrigeration and their sales people are obnoxious. They hire the worst chopos.
-With the situation as it is, it is a must to ask for prices everytime you buy anything before hand. Most business are hiding prices and just placing price codes. When you get to the cashier...sticker shock!!!
-Beware of Dominican supermarkets(all included) 90% of merchandise on sale is expired or ready to be expired. Some are even doubling on expired stuff by packaging together. For instance, La Cadena is selling Club Social crackers with a Tang envelope as a package for $18.50. Quite a bargain...but stale. Eat the crackers before you get home!!!
-Plaza Lama supermarket is a merchandising disaster, with most products without prices and shelves filled with the same product over and over. This is due to low stock of many products.
-A pernicious tactic used by supermarkets is to mix in a rotten fruit, like orange or apple, vegetables like potatoes in a healthy 5lb. bag. As fresh as a Barcelo package of oranges may look to you, inspect every orange individually or be sorry later. This is Dominican supermarketing at its "best"

-The new OMSA buses taken from the Pan Am games are very comfortable and air-conditioned. They are a bargain for $10 pesos. Problem is...there are not enough or enough routes to cover the city. Hoiw long will they last with poor Dominican maintenance? If Miami and New York cannot keep A/C buses with air in good repair, how can we do it?
-If you own land in DR and are not here to supervise it, or have someone permanently watching, dont be surprised if a PPH official simply walks in your property and takes it over. Property rights are a thing of the past in DR. Those who occupy the property have more rights than those with titles.
-To obtain a Dominican birth certificate you must first jump from Duarte Bridge and survive, then run to Montecristi in half and hour, then climb El Morro in15 minutes, walk down and look for Hippo wearing a well tailored suit on top of Montecristi old clock, then when you get his autograph, your certificate may be ready for a measly $500 pesos. When you take it to the passport office to renew your passport, you will be told the certificate needs to be certified and stamped. Passport denied!!!!
-Hippo ordered RNN News to stop TV news during prime time and show the NORSECA volleyball tournament, where DR has won two games, with the hope of showing a gold medal and using this as a re-election campaign rally. He will probably award the medals personally if we win. So much for freedom of the press, radio and TV.
-Women at Zona Franca factories in DR are being sexually harassed by managers and owners. Women who want to get salary increases and promotions to foremen must please the boss under the desk. Hello Bill!!!
-People in Barrios are now paying $10 for contaminated water to save $20 pesos. Trucks carrying water in tanks, prohibited by law are spreading all over selling water with fecal matter and dangerous imputirities. But poor people have little choice. Lack of education and economy force them to promote a thriving business. These truckers are also a nuisance with their horns.
-If you are signaled to stop by uniformed policemen in highways you are better of taking the risk of evading and getting shot at than stopping and getting mugged. Most muggings in highways now are the act of police and army members. For the first time we see them now working in combination.
- All small towns are "speed" traps. Except corrupt cops stop you for no reason to extract an illegal bribe. Dont venture out of you hotel unless you go with an official hotel tour.

So much for now
TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I respect your insight on some things Dominican but sometimes your posts seem a little dellusional.
Originally posted by Golo100 -The best Dominican mass type ice cream is now sold by Nestle. Besides incredibly low prices, their quality is superb. Their new flavors Guanabana and melon are a must. Bon is the worst. So bad is the situation with Bon, that their neighborhood parlors have no tables for seating, the ice cream melts for lack of refrigeration and their sales people are obnoxious. They hire the worst chopos.
Not what I've seen. And I do patronize their parlors.

-To obtain a Dominican birth certificate you must first jump from Duarte Bridge and survive, then run to Montecristi in half and hour, then climb El Morro in15 minutes, walk down and look for Hippo wearing a well tailored suit on top of Montecristi old clock, then when you get his autograph, your certificate may be ready for a measly $500 pesos. When you take it to the passport office to renew your passport, you will be told the certificate needs to be certified and stamped. Passport denied!!!!
Not my experience, but I cannot talk for every person. Acually I always renew my passport in Monte Cristi. Takes me 15 mins. and no hassle.

Women at Zona Franca factories in DR are being sexually harassed by managers and owners. Women who want to get salary increases and promotions to foremen must please the boss under the desk. Hello Bill!!!
Excuse me? Where did you get that? Sources please.

- All small towns are "speed" traps. Except corrupt cops stop you for no reason to extract an illegal bribe. Dont venture out of you hotel unless you go with an official hotel tour.
Huh? I do go to campos and pueblos fairly often and never had any problem.

I more or less agree with the rest.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I would say Yes. I'm curious.

Howsomeever, I furnish the local police here, in Copey, and Carbonera with 25 lbs of rice and 10 lbs of beans on a monthly basis. I don't get hassled, I get results when I need help and they pass by my house 3 or 4 times a day and nite checking on me since I live alone.

Maybe I'm fostering something I shouldn't, but these guys have been real good to me since I've been living here and that's just my way of saying Thank You.

Texas Bill

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
I'm not the only one having problems with Golo's DELLUSIONS I?m sorry but 80% of your D.R. bashing have me wondering, anybody with a rational mind reading the 2 leading newspapers can see further than your disrrupted and twisted mind i know Supermarkets everywhere i have lived has the same common practice (IDIOT) .
Many here say you tell it like it is? (B.S) please!!!!! fiction is all I see im pretty sure Helados Bon denied the sale of a few stocks to your Richie Rich butt, enough reason for you to start jumping, screaming and hollering like a little child; The world is not Disneyland but your brains have taking the task of building a LA, LA LAND out of the ignorant and less informed members of this board I don't have the time nor the patience to write about good stuff and cool things happening around this island but I do have and advice for you; please, please go out more often and since you have so much money take trips once in a while to see the rest of the world perhaps those extra curricular activities will help the development of your brains and will cure the paranoia that keeps you locked between those 4 walls (yourself)

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Golo100 said:

-To obtain a Dominican birth certificate you must first jump from Duarte Bridge and survive, then run to Montecristi in half and hour, then climb El Morro in15 minutes, walk down and look for Hippo wearing a well tailored suit on top of Montecristi old clock, then when you get his autograph, your certificate may be ready for a measly $500 pesos. When you take it to the passport office to renew your passport, you will be told the certificate needs to be certified and stamped. Passport denied!!!!-

So much for now
TW

That doesn't seem too daunting. I first arrived in DR in 1988, got my permanent residency in 1990 but only got my DR passport in 1999 after many lawyers and untold sum. By then, most countries had already required visas for DR passport holders.

Well, gone are the good old days when foreigners could get DR passports in a snap (I know of people who had their DR passport READY and WAITing before they first set foot in this country) and travel to Spain visa-free ;(

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Golo is almost always right on the money, except he does exaggerate a little to put a funny twist in to the post.
What he is trying to say is if you are a connected Dominican or a gringo living in the country then you have the resources to get your way through in any legal transaction ex: passport renewal etc. However, if you are an average poor Dominican then get ready to stay behind the long lines and pray to god to help you get through.
About Zona franca, its all true. I know people from zona franca who tell me the same thing. Cute girls have to satisfy their immediate bosses to advance in their work.
This is also true for many secretaries for MDs. Many if not all have to serve their bosses from under the table to keep their jobs. MDs have some of the cutest secretaries in Santiago area. Many act like their wives when at work or off duty. I see this everyday.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
This is a great....

thread....thanks Golo - but it's a bit hard to separate what I think is good info from some of your humorous chaff. I went out an bought a pretty decent map of the DR yesterday so I could plot all the places you [all collectively] frequently mention.

Bill, I think your idea about supporting the local gendarmes is excellent. They probably don't make enough money to support a family so what you do is quite reasonable.

Keep it up everyone and best, P

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Forgot one small....

suggestion. Golo/et al, would you kindly put a geographic reference on your place names? It's hard as hell to find Villa Altagracias or where ever without a larger point of departure. Is it north of Santo Domingo, west of the moon?

Best, P

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
AZB said:
About Zona franca, its all true. I know people from zona franca who tell me the same thing. Cute girls have to satisfy their immediate bosses to advance in their work.
This is also true for many secretaries for MDs. Many if not all have to serve their bosses from under the table to keep their jobs. MDs have some of the cutest secretaries in Santiago area. Many act like their wives when at work or off duty. I see this everyday.

This is a gross generalization. There are 53 or 58 or thereabouts zona francas in the Dominican Republic. There are in the thousands of businesses operating. Sure must be a satisfied bunch of 'bosses' or 'managers' walking around if this was the case. But, guys, you are just so totally overgeneralizing.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ofcourse we generalize, thats what makes it funny. Hahahaha

Examples: I know this one girl who lived in a really ugly barrio. But the girl was cute and had some class and spoke english. She worked in zona franca as a secretary. She was out going and fun so naturally she attracted the attention of her boss. Then she disappeared from the scene for some time. later I met her again and I couldn't believe she was the same person. She was really well dressed. Drove a late model corolla and was actually traveling to foreign countries. When I asked about the instant promotion at work, she smiled and said, now her boss has given her a better job and she makes alot more money now. But from my other sources, I was told she was sleeping with her foreign boss thus, making a much better living. Now she has changed the job and makes even better living by actually working (and I guess living) with the same man in a private business, traveling the world etc.
Another girl (actually 2 girls....sisters) worked in another zona franca. Both are from san jose de las matas and both very very cute (especially the younger one). They were both harrassed at work by their bosses. When they both turned down his sexual advances (the guy was just too ugly and low class), the girls were given harder jobs which brought more stress to both. They had their timing changed so it would interfere with their university schedule. They both were compelled to quit.
Later the young one went back to zona franca but the other one stayed unemployed.
Now the secretaries of MDs in santiago is really a funny business. These girls don't make more than 5k / month (average salary) yet they are extremely cute and well dressed for work environment. These girls come in all beauty salon prepared down to their toes. they are slim, model looking types with a pleasant smile....simply attractive. One has to wonder how the doctors can keep their hands to themselves when the secretary is asking so boldly for it? If you don't believe me, just go to Corominas or other major private clinics and see it for yourselves. Most playboy doctors have very attractive looking secretaries who go out drinking and partying with them after work. I would like to see what happens during lunch time.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AZB said:

Now the secretaries of MDs in santiago is really a funny business. These girls don't make more than 5k / month (average salary) yet they are extremely cute and well dressed for work environment. These girls come in all beauty salon prepared down to their toes. they are slim, model looking types with a pleasant smile....simply attractive. One has to wonder how the doctors can keep their hands to themselves when the secretary is asking so boldly for it? If you don't believe me, just go to Corominas or other major private clinics and see it for yourselves. Most playboy doctors have very attractive looking secretaries who go out drinking and partying with them after work. I would like to see what happens during lunch time.

You sound jealous, AZB. I suppose that is because chiropractors, not being real doctors, can only get the left overs ;)

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Ever hear of dressing for success?

AZB said:
One has to wonder how the doctors can keep their hands to themselves when the secretary is asking so boldly for it?

So, in your opinion the girls are "asking for it" just because they dress tastefully? Give me a break.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ken, I get them without paying a salary, the smart way.
MDs (or RD=real doctor) has to act like a medico and wear a suit etc, but they all are chopos one way or another. I am looked as a whole new specie. I actually get them (patients) well when it comes to spinal pain or even headaches (if they are cervical nerve related). Seems like the quacks are making the RD quite uncomfortable. Besides, I have many RD as patients and some of my good friends are RDs.
About secretaries: At the end of the day, they all prefer a non chopo professional for a change.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dominican girls are very aggresive.

"So, in your opinion the girls are "asking for it" just because they dress tastefully? Give me a break." forbeca

There is a difference between dressed tastfully and dressed to kill. These santiagueras know quite well what types of dogs we are (the men). They know what works on whom. They use all kinds of asthetic manipulation to attract our attention. We simply know when a girl is asking for it. Unlike american ****teasing women. They want the men to suffer as opposed to dominican woman who actually want the man to come to her, if not, she goes to him. She doesn't dress up for nothing.
ex: in a disco a woman actually goes there to dance, may it be an old dance partner. If you ask a girl to dance with you, chances are you will never get turned down. In usa, you will always get turned down unless you are ricky martin lookalike. Then again, (In USA) girls prefer to dance with each other. Its the lesbian trend which is the new "In" thing.

Dominican secretaries and other female workers are no different. These women are aggressive. You should see how many women come to my office just to seduce me in one day. I have had lawyers come to my office dressed in victoria secret under garment. Knowing quite well, I have to lower their pants to reach their lumbar / pelvis region. Often times they would put on see-through bras to distract me; knowing very well they have to lossen their clothes in order to have me check their rib cage.
Then the smile they have on the face and the sounds they make as if they are having sex while I perform my therapy on their spine. Often times its so obvious from the way they dress that many of my female dentist friends (neighbor offices) come running in in histerical laughter. These women all tell me what they say about me when they leave the office or before they enter. Some of my patients call me to their home at odd hours to invite me to dinner etc. Others leave me love letters from under my door while I am out to lunch. There were 2 women who would leave me romantic messages on my answering machine. One turned out to be the wife of a patient.
Unlike many dominican professionals, I don't lose my composure. I have a rule: no hanky panky with patients or with their immediate family members. I treat them very cold and always turn down their invitation. If I see a female patient in a disco, I usually walk out. For the same reason I never frequent whore houses or carwashes. I just don't want to be seen there in santiago.

To get back to my original point: The dominican women are very aggressive and the secretaries are no different. They will go after what they want. I have even heard that secretaries may get a cut from their boss's intake ex: if he makes 400 pesos on a consultation, she gets 100 from it. These secretaries are like their second wives.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Some people just dont learn

ERICCXXON, if you are trying to bait me into personal attacks and no essence, which is what you mostly post about, you wasted your time. You know nothing about DR and everyone here knows that. Just a simple poll by our own posters here can clarify your status as a connoisseur of DR affairs, and not just everyday lide things, but DR as a whole.

PIB: I believed you were a feminist and that you keep informed about what goes on with the ladies in DR, specially those involved with women related NGOs. I will not do the homework for you. But I suggest a visit to Villa Juana headquarters for abused women. You might want to discuss this item with them. I also suggest you have a little talk with our lady DA who handles womens affairs, you know who...the one who got canned by Hippo and then returned to her job after everyone protested? Need I tell you her name too? You see, I meet people everywhere and talk about things. I also know a jew who owns several game joints who also trades with free trade zone women thru a manager in Las Americas. I have lots of contacts in several pharmaceutical joints in the Zona Ind. de Haina. I have a former girlfriend who told me about going thru an experience like this in a lab place that starts with a BAX where the manager by the last name Perez screwed almost every woman in the place using his influence, besides intoxicating everyone of them by not providing safety equipment for a toxic chemical used for cleaning bottles. Some of the women have died of cancer in the same lab.

I speak with facts. But I dont necessarily have to provide all the gory details.

I have been targeted by cops in speed traps twice, but refused to pay them and insisted on getting my ticket, then went to AMET and paid them in the afternoon, when there are no lines(you see I even know that) Tickets are only $25 to $80 at best, and I enjoy not giving in to bribery.

Villa Altagracia is just 30 minutes or less north of Santo Domingo thru Carretera Duarte and if you are lucky enough, you may drive thru without a broken windshield from rock throwers, who are better than Azuans. Another favorite site for rock throwers, car muggings and vandals is the Quita Sue?o area of the Haina highway near the toll booth. If you drive to the San Isidro caba?as late at night thru Avenida San Vicente de Paul, drive as fast as you can with your high beams on and watch for muggers throwing dogs, logs and other sizeable objects to cause you to crash, then assault you.

TW

diablorojo

I look better in pink...
Sep 7, 2003
Golo----Some of what you say makes sense....a lot of it is sometimes true...but the way you go about is like you're stuck in the 1950's.....like you haven't been out much since then....the world has changed, and so has the DR, the way people look at things.....you act like Trujillito were still around, like your mentality is frozen in those times......

AZB---I got your private message, I just figured out how to view the messages, I'm not that computer literate ;)! But thanks.....

I think American women are kind of easy....when you are in a US club, you can touch all you want, but they are scared if you stare them in the eyes or actually try to get to know them. They are like men, just go out looking for sex in clubs...

Dominican, and Latin women in general have more class......and yes, they tend to go after guys if they like them, they do it in a subtle way though, they give you the opportunity.....but you have to take it and make the first move.

But what you say about being called at odd hours and stuff, maybe they're just being friendly....Not every woman who flirts with you intends to take it any further than just flirting....it doesn't always mean anything.

Not all Dominican professionals are chopos....it depends on their bearing, upbringing....etc....

diablorojo said:

I think American women are kind of easy....when you are in a US club, you can touch all you want, but they are scared if you stare them in the eyes or actually try to get to know them. They are like men, just go out looking for sex in clubs...

Dominican, and Latin women in general have more class......and yes, they tend to go after guys if they like them, they do it in a subtle way though, they give you the opportunity.....but you have to take it and make the first move.

American women are easy????? I sure disagree with that, the Dominican women are very easy and really do not have as much class as you suggest.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Many women are easy...

Some women are easy...But so are the men that pick them up! :) Two way street guys! Subject is Mute..You can not say all Dominicana's are classier etc.. or that all American Women in Clubs go to pick up easy sex..I used to go just to dance..Dance and dance..More energy than the energizer bunny..Never went home with any man from a club..But that is me..I am not easy! I am sure there are many men here that will say they go to the DR for the easy women...No win situation with this subject..:) Pam

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
All the hookers in resorts are easy. the santiagueras are not. they are selective. The women who came on to me were aggressive in nature, but that doesn't mean all dominicanas are easy.
Please foreigners, when you say dominican women are easy, you are only talking about hookers (the ones who go after you all). You folks don't know real dominicans yet.