Puerto Plata Carnival Dates

nashville dude

May 27, 2003
I have been back from Sosua now for just a day and already crave a cold Presidente and a table on the street. Anyway, I would like to go back aorund the 1st of the year. Does anyone know the exact dates of the CARNIVAL celebration in Puerto Plata?? If so, can you let me know. Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Don't bother going there. it will be a chopo festival with lowlifes roaming the streets to rip off foreigners. Pocket pickers will greet you first then the police will laugh at your ignorance later.

nashville dude

May 27, 2003
WHY SO BITTER

No, NO.. I wasn't asking to hang out with you and your family,,, I'm talking about CARNIVAL....
Your posts tend to be bitter and angry. Pickpockets???? Been to Chicago lately???? Now, drink your rum and post no more

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Not so bitter, just facts. I have lived in puerto plata before so I know what I am talking about. You white tourists in shorts will stand out like a sore thumb. Your camera and your wallet will be the prime target. There is no organization or adequate police patrol in POP carnival. People breaks police barricades and push and shove everyone to get around.
Your best bet would be to go to La vega's carnival (every sunday in the month of February). They have the best costumes and better police protection. la vega is best known for its carnivals. I am only trying to inform you on the dangers of carnival and have nothing to gain from your visit anywhere except tourist money spent in DR. You don?t have to agree with my posts, in fact you will be very disappointed to read my posts if you are a pure white bread gringo. Just take my advice and see la vega?s carnival. You will like that one.
Have a nice day.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Dude, from what I gather it's the last week of Feb. may be going for it. Sorry AZB, have been there twice for Carnivale, and have had a great time. No pockets picked but have been pinched in the ass a few times by girls lookin g for a "date".