trujillo

Sep 20, 2003
i have been studying dominican history and would like to ask the forum members the following questions.

1.) are any of trujillo's assassins still alive? ( two men survived and i wanted to know if/when they died)

2.) i read in an 1993 tourist guide that the government was restoring trujillo's "mahogany house" as a museum. has this been done? is the house open to the public?

3.) i found a website for a museum thatbhas some of trujillo's uniforms and medals on display, along with one of the cars that belonged to his assassins. where is it located?

4.) has any domincan director ever made a film dealing with the rule of trujillo? what is its title? where can a copy be purchased?

5.) is trujillo's youngest son still alive? where does he live? i read one of his daughters lives in miami, florida and is worth millions of dollars. any information on the surviving trujillo children.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are greater authorities than me on this board, but as some of this information is already in the archives they may not come forward.

1. Gen. Antonio Imbert is still alive.

2. No.

3. Museum of History and Geography, Plaza de la Cultura, Santo Domingo. I last visited in June and that particular exhibition was closed for renovation. Some of Trujillo's cars are also on display at Santiago's Camp David restaurant and hotel.

4. Rene Fortunato has made two documentaries about the Trujillo years, El Poder del Jefe and one other. Widely available in the DR, and probably in the US as well.

5. Radhames and Ramfis are both dead but I think at least one of his illegitimate sons is still alive.

Hope this helps, and that someone else will come forward to fill in the missing info.

Chiri

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
possible film

An off Broaday production is now performing llosa's book The Feast Of The Goat. Wouldn't be surprised if it was made into a movie.

Sep 20, 2003
the "feast of the goat " book was excellent! i really hope it is made into a movie. i just hope it is done well, with a good director, actors and large enough budget to make it properly.

does the mahogany house still stand? who are the present owners?

i know ramfis was killed in spain, the late 1960's ,in a car accident. does anyone know when or how the other son died?

i have read that in 1957, trujillo's personal wealth was estimated at anywhere from 500 million dollars(lowest) up to 1 billion dollars! that would have made trujillo one of the wealthiest men in the world. was any of that money ever recovered from the swiss banks? what would 1 billion dollars in 1957 be worth today? where is all that money now?

are there any places in the domincan republic anyone can recommend i see that have some direct link to trujillo? (i know about the 1930 hurricane he directed the reconstruction) but are there any of trujillo's private homes left?

i read that the sons of airforce general roman fernandez still lived in the domincan republic in the 1970's, are they still living there? they would only be in there 60's. the son's mother was trujillo's niece or perhaps his sister, i'm not sure.

are any of trujillo's close relatives still living in the domincan republic today? are they involved in politics?

any information is very helpful.

thank you.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Trujillo Info

Re.> Trujillo's sons: Ramphis died in Spain. He still has family there, I've met a few of them, they seemed to me very detatched from the Dominican Rep. They visit once in a while. They inherited most of the Trujillo fortune.

Radames was involved with some SouthAmerican cartel and presumably killed in Colombia about 4+ years ago.

There is Rafael Trujillo Lovaton who is a son of Trujillo who lives part time in Miami and Santo Domingo, he's invoplved in the airline industry. There was an article in Listin Diario about him about a year or so ago. He looks alot like his father.

There is an interesting house in SanCristobal called el Cerro. Its like a castle. You can see Santo Domingo From it. IOts in bad shape, efforts to reconstruct have been futile. I used to live near by and used to go there every time. Nice View.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
I know you did not ask, but I belive I saw the jeep in which he was killed on display outside of El Farro de Colon. I was with local friends and that's what they told me so I may be wrong.

Sep 20, 2003
he was in an american chevrolet(from memory), the car was purchased by an ex army sgt, after the fall of the trujillo family and turned into a taxi cab. the last i read it was scrapped.

the cars the assassin drove the night of the attack still exist and are sitting in a museum in santo domingo.

i have read so much about the dominican republic.

i cannot wait to visit.

is it possible to take history in english from the university of santo domingo?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Some sugestions

Joel,

If you are interested in Dominican History, I reccomend Frank Moya Pons' book A National History. It is available on amazon and is regarded as one of the best history book around. It is a standard book on universities and high schools here.

About memorabilia, there are items around but you have to look for them. Iremember an antique shop in Plaza Merengue in 27 febrero avenue. The owner coollected such items, maybe you can look up the shop an try to see if they have any stuff.

Apr 26, 2002
As of about 1990 (the last time I checked), the Casa de Caoba still stood near San Cristobal. Though it has not been restored, I'm sure you can go see it. Also, there was another one of his houses, run down, outside of Villa Duarte.

Maybe somebody else can confirm, but I believe they sell old currency from moneychange stands on Avenida Duarte.

There are still plenty of monuments to Trujillo that still stand. The Monument to the Restoration in Santiago is the best known. Also the arch at the entrance to Barahona. And there is no shortage of Trujillo era government buildings and hotels that still stand. Of course, his National Palace is still used, but tours are NOT available unless you know someone.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The death car

was a Chevy...I understood thyat it had been "rescued" from the taxi driver and is on display somewhere but can't remember where. You might run a search on the forums as it was probably here that I heard it.

El Jefe...lurking

Sep 20, 2003
could anyone post the photo of trujillo's living son? lovatan? i would really like to see how close he resembles trujillo.

do the members of trujillo's family who live in or vist the DR endure hostility from locals?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Who knows but I doubt that if the family visits DR, they barely even get noticed except by authorities...........I've heard from reputable sources that General Roman's family is still around doing good, but not like they used too, just living a upper-class lifestyle in Santo Domingo...........the grandkids causing mayhem like any modern-day jevito would.

I've heard about the Chevy being in a museum but I also heard a joke about that car being used as a 'carro publico' in Santo Domingo..........bullet holes and all.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hi

If you P.M. me I'll send you a photo of the two assasins and the death car.

Edited to say that this was meant for Joel Pacheco

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the following website www.el-bohio.com you will find pictures of Trujillos, his memorabilias, and other important photos of the Trujillo Era and modern day Dominican Republic. I learned a few years ago that my Grandfather from my motherside was one of Trujillos automobiles maintenance person (keeping the cars in mint shape, etc.), but my grandfather got into the habit of drinking rum, so he was then moved by orders of Trujillo himself to a post in Sabana de Boya in Monte Cristi Province. In fact, if my grandfather wasn't an alcoholic, my family from my mother side would had been very well off economically today, because my grandfather was very well paid for being loyal to el jefe. Of course, my grandparents from my mother side have all past away, but my grandmother's sister is still living in a midsize plot with a wooden home built cortesy of Trujillo in a campo known as Baqui or Maguey in La Vega Province. Maybe that has to do with my somewhat simpathies for Trujillo, although I recognize his evil sides. But like every story, there are two sides, which side one takes has a big influence on wether one see's him as a good person that built the country to a level not seen since colonial times or a person that killed whom ever did not publicly supported him (which, once you think about it, most of those people that got killed had to do is fake a support for the jefe, and they lived). Anyways, make sure you do visit that site I posted here, the pictures gives you a real sense of history in part because they are black and white, but also because looking into a photo is the equivalent into stepping back in time. Enjoy.