Taino word pronunciation

DRdreamer

Sep 21, 2003
I'm doing some research for a book that will contain some Taino words. Although I have found wonderful dictionaries on line, I can't figure out how to pronounce the words that I need. Perhaps there's someone out there who could give me a phoenetic spelling for them? Here are a few of the words I don't know how to say: cacique, natiao, yucayeque, ceiba. I'd really appreciate some help!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
And while you're helping him, maybe you could throw in the definition of ceiba? Even my wife says, 'Huh?' at the one. In Spanish, of course!

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Aha!

Thank you for that. There's a 'Ceiba de Madera' on the highway between Tamboril and Moca and I've asked my wife everytime we pass (until she started punching me for having asked every time we pass) what is a 'Ceiba' and she didn't know.

Sorry I can't help you with your pronounciations. I take it, they are not at all pronounced like you would expect in Spanish? I mean, The English took Indian words, and spelled them as best they could to sound appropriately in the English lanuage and for the most part you can just sound it out. Is the same not true of Taino words, created by the Spaniards?

Tom (aka XR)