Quiet living -- Hillbilly & others?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I have been mulling over my biggest priorities, and #1 is quiet, because more than anything I need this for my work. Don't laugh-- I already know the culture is boisterous and loves noise. :)

I have been poring over the archives, and am not coming up with much on quiet country living.

I saw a message from Hillbilly, in response to jigglebelly:

"Anyway, if you can take the North Shore out of the equation, and live in a small town like Moca, Mao, Villa Tapia, La Vega or a larger, very Dominican city like Santiago or San Francisco de Macoris, you can literally disappear. And still have the beach just an hour away.....cheaper, more conveniences, better water, and more entertainment."

These smaller towns really intrigue me... I checked a map and discovered, for example, that La Vega is very close to Jarabacoa, which looks so beautiful (and peaceful).

I am wondering how possible it is to rent a decent house somewhere in the country, with neighbors not too close at hand. I will still need internet access.

Also, would it create a bunch of new problems with respect to electricity & security to traipse too far from the beaten path? As far as initial costs, it seems to me that lower rent would balance out in higher setup costs-- unless it's possible to find rental properties that have already paid this cost. Anyone have any idea about this aspect?

I have read many messages about security, and am going to opt for my own approach... bars, dogs, etc. Getting to know my neighbors, most of all, of course.

Buying a large generator is a concern due to the noise, but many messages I've read indicate that an inverter is fine, as it will provide power for several hours at a time. I am thinking I would like the slightly cooler air closer to mountains, as well. Then, trying to keep an air conditioner running wouldn't be as much a necessity... if it is a concern, that is. I'm not a fan (hee!) of living in cold air when it's so contrary to the natural environment; I would rather acclimatize as much as possible.

btw, the above contemplation may very well be step two-- I am fully prepared to live for a time on the beaten path, and take my time searching for the right conditions.

Just wondering if those conditions exist, especially with a low key lifestyle.

Thanks for any thoughts; they're much appreciated. :)

Dawn

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Some sections of Sosua are very quiet. East of town (near Playa Chiquita) for example gives you tranquility yet proximity to fun and sophistication. - D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Danny, that's good to hear. Thanks.

It has been very difficult to judge the meaning of 'quiet', because it's a relative thing.

I can barely wait to arrive and get a feel for it all.

I am wondering if the small towns might be too isolated ... ie transportation, internet, most of all.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
No one needs quiet more than me. Ask Escott about the neighborhood that his favorite Sosusa hotel is in - he used to brag that all he heard at night were the crickets. Sosua has or is near everything, and that area (Cabarete and POP) is quite sophisticated. - D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I think as long as you're not really in town you're fine. Xanadu is nice and quiet. From 3 miles away from the beach all we can hear is the roar of the ocean. When I want noise, I camp outside Escott's condo in Sosua. When I want quiet, I just go home. It's not cool like Jarabacoa here, but we're up high enough to have a nice breeze all the time and it's not stifling like it can be in some areas of Sosua/Cabarete away from the beach.

If you want a nice little private house right next to mine with a pool and a couple of bedrooms, I negotiated a special deal with the owner who's never used it. US$50/month. Really. Just been empty a long time and needs cleaning but I have people for that. I am planning on sharing my wireless network internet access with some new neighbors on the other side of Xanadu and I could include you in that. Otherwise, anywhere you go it won't cost anymore than US$3,000 for the hardware to be independent of phone lines and Codetel with your own dish.

Tom (aka XR)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
wow!

XR, that sound almost unbelievable!

But it gives me hope there are gems hidden away. :)

Certainly I am interested-- how about I arrange to talk to you when I'm there next month-- you needn't rent to me for the same price: would be best if you made a return on the empty house.

I would be very interested in splitting costs on a wireless system, as well. It makes sense to do such things when people must compensate or find ways around a weak infrastructure.

Also, what you say is what I've been mulling over-- set up costs as needed anywhere would be one-time, and worth it when balanced against much lower rents.

Gosh, you made my day with that post.

As a side note, I read somewhere that you and Alba have horses: I'm pretty good with those creatures, so if you ever needed a hand... :) D

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Dawnwil

Send me an e-mail so I have your address and I will go and take a few pictures of the place tomorrow and e-mail them to you. I do not know how much space you need. I was renting it with the intent of giving it to one of my handymen because it was so cheap and right next door. But with a house in Santiago, and Alba, the kids, and the nanny there most of the time I have plenty of room here in Xanadu so it's not really necessary. We have two horses, plenty of room for more. I get along with hardware. The wetware stuff is just animals to me. I do not understand them at all!

Tom (aka XR)