ricktoronto-- talking Spanish dictionary?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hi rick,

I stumbled across a post of yours wherein you mention the Franklin Spanish/English Professor.

It sounds intriguing... what is it exactly?

And, where did you find yours? I have to make a quick trip to the US before traveling to the DR, so will order it asap if it's only available there.

thx!

Dawn

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's a Spanish Professor and it Talks.

Squeezing that poor bugger into the 6 X 4 X 1 inch box took some doing.

The original Franklin BES-1840 ( which I sold to Dale7) is a mini computer thing that you type in English and it tells you Spanish.

So far ho-hum but..it conjugates every verb form of every verb with an overview in "yo" then conjugation by conjugation. Also when you put in a Spanish word even if misspelled a bit it will offer a correction list, handy for if you "heard" it but maybe can't "spell" it.

Also again, if you put in a conjugated form of a verb, e.g. hablan, it comes up with "hablar" in Spanish so when you hear or see a verb in its conjugated form you then then get the infinitive and with some irregular verbs it is a Godsend. (e.g. puso).

Another thing it will give you other ways, e.g. idioms, to say things, so if you put in an English word and you get the normal verb infinite for example there will then follow sometimes dozens of ways the word ( in English) is used, with Spanish phrases and sentences - with English translations, often not using the Spanish verb at all.

It has practise games like Hangman and verb drills as well.

There is a new, smaller one in all ways inferior IMHO, because 1) they switched from Larousse to Mirriam-Webster and 2) it is too tiny to type the little keys and 3) it doesn't talk.

The bigger one talks with a digital male or female voice and you can hear how almost any word is pronounced with accents etc.

Now I just use a Palm Pilot with a dictionary and with a separate verb conjugation application since I have adequate Spanish to get by but now and then I need a whole new verb or noun or forget a lesser used verb form like imperfect subjuncive or whatever.

For those needing a lot of help with Spanish I have found nothing better or even equal to compare the Larousse/Franklin to.

If UR American here's Amazon's link except it is the crappy Webster's version, so look for the Larousse (it will say Larousse in red on the top above the display) - if U R Canadian in Toronto you should be able to find it in one of the Yonge St. electronic merchants (where I got mine) or maybe online:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JSFW/102-1896863-2172120?v=glance

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I have the BES 1840:)

I am very pleased with the Franklin BES 1840 Larousse translator. Thank you Rick for bringing that for me. It is so much better than the cheap TES18? by Franklin which is what I had and better than the Franklin DBE 1450 Mirriam Webster that I also have. You might also be able to find it on half.com a branch of ebay. The larousse dictionary is much better than the Webster so if you can purchase a larousse, even if you have to pay a few dollars more, it is well worth it.
dale7(Howard)

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Sold.

Holy wow, it really does sound awesome.

ok, one way or another, I'm going to find one before my trip. Will be in Ontario earlier in October, though not Toronto, but it will be a simple thing to have one sent via online purchase.

thx a million for the great info.

Am going surfing now. :) D

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
found & lost

Bummer.

So far, the only place I've found online selling the Franklin BES 1840 is Amazon.com.

Although the word 'Larousse' displays by way of the search description, it's nowhere to be seen in the Amazon website description. In smaller print, under features, the version is the 'Webster dictionary'. As you said, Rick.

It's possible one of the used/refurbished ones is the correct model, but the info doesn't specify.

I'll keep looking, and will post here if I find it. Unfortunately, I'm not traveling through Toronto; not as likely to find it in Ottawa.

Rick... off the top of your head can you suggest a major electronic superstore/warehouse in Toronto likely to carry older/discontinued items? I will call from here, but haven't a clue which store/s to target. (I'll also try an online search for electronic stores in Toronto area).

thx!

D

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I recall being part of such a thread in the distant past. In fact, I believe that someone was asking about dictionaries and I recommended an electronic one such as the Franklin that I had bought some years before at Radio Shack. I paid $100 at the time, but it's probably down to about $50 now.

I think that I saw a newer version recently at Office Depot, but I'm not sure that was where. Neither do I know whether Office Depot has outlets in Canada.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I have a Business Depot around the corner

thx Andy.

The trouble in Canada is that Spanish isn't in great demand as it is in the US.

But you've given me an idea... I'll be in a US town, with Office Depot, next week. That's worth checking.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Check Online First

dawnwil said:
thx Andy.

The trouble in Canada is that Spanish isn't in great demand as it is in the US.

But you've given me an idea... I'll be in a US town, with Office Depot, next week. That's worth checking.

Frankly you may not have a lot of luck at Office Depot ( here or in the USA) but they have web sites and you can check - you might want to try the online sites for Best Buy, Circuit City in the US as they carry tons of stuff.

I fear you may wind up with the Merriam Webster version unless a Toronto Yonge st. store has the older ones.