the forum

Sep 20, 2003
trujillo used to use the "forum" section of one of his newspapers to let his cronies and enemies know who was in trouble. letters would be published that were supposedly sent by average citizens but everyone knew they came from the presidents office.

does the newspaper el carib still have a forum section?

Sep 20, 2003
i've been studying dominican history and there are some questions, especially dealing with modern day that no history book has an answer for. (many of the books i'm reading date back to the 50's,60's, and 70's.)

the newest book i've read came out in 2001 and is called the "dictator next door."

i hoped that people living in the republic today could answer some of my questions.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
read my suggestion in response to one of your threads

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Don't worry, Joel, some of us are interested in knowing more about Trujillo too, but the door is closed. Most folks here will tell you to "go look it up" because either a) they don't have a frigging clue as to the answer, or b) they read spanish very well, and have the ability to go look it up in a DR newspaper archive, or c) don't really give a rats ass, or d) know about some books which I don't, written in English, that have some "meat" to go with the "bones" most "history of Trujillo" books seem to have, and settle for.

Keith R, I would equate joel pacheco's "obsession" with Trujillo as a molehill compared to any Cuban in Miami's "obsession" with Fidel Castro, or any Jew's "obsession" with Hitler. He's just looking for some facts and accounts of Trujillo, and has come here.

Just possibly, joel pacheco has run into the same wall I have as far as understanding the way things REALLY were here in the DR so that one can completely understand how dominicans are today.

There really aren't many written , detailed histories of Trujillo and his deeds and life under Trujillo IN ENGLISH. (yes, I am a lazy ass who can only get about 90% of the translation, but when I read a book I want 100% - silly me).

Sure , there are fictions that people bite on hook and line. Of course there are books like Frank Moya Pons' book on Dominican History that wimp out and won't give all of the facts and the details and the "dirt" out of fear, or lack of knowledge, or laziness.

We can only hope some Dominican writer will do their history, talk to the old people before they die, have a great translator, and publish it in our lifetimes. Maybe things will change now that Balaguer is dead, and there are fewer people protecting the image of Trujillo.

At this moment, I am also wondering where the Dominicans who know most of these answers are, and why they aren't speaking up. You aren't asking dumb questions. Maybe there should be a separate Forum section just on Trujillo where some of us can go for answers on this topic.

Good luck. I am looking forward to an education on Trujillo too. You can't really know the DR until you really know the history too.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
he is being told to look it up so that he may also contribute on the subject.

the door is not closed at all. the problem comes when you open up 20 threads and ask the same thing over and over again.

open one thread; ask and contribute what you have to..quite simple

you want to know about Trujillo and all of Pacheco's good questions? start by clicking on the search button here and you will find a wealth of information.

you want to bring up the issue again? fine! just don't open numerous threads asking questions about trujillo.

it makes it impossible to have a decent conversation about it

most people here know more about Trujillo than you might think

Last edited:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Well , so far, anybody who knows any facts about Trujillo are keeping a poker face.

(edited - my bad, as I am NOT going to hijack this thread)

I just want to know the kind of stuff about Trujillo that nobody ever talks about, just like joel pacheco.

Thanks to all who respond.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
i'll ask one more time. does the "forum" section of el carib newspaper still exist?

the vargas lhosa book seems to be pretty accurate with regard to history,from the books i've read.

the reason jesus galindez does not mention johnnie abbes garcia in his book is that garcia was not in a position of power when galindez worked in the dominican republic. johnnie abbes garcia came to trujillo's attention because he was a successful assassin in mexico city, murdering domincan exiles who opposed the trujillo dictatorship.(this question was asked on another thread)

there is a really good book(out of print, but avaliable used online or at some public libraries in the US) on trujillo by robert crassweller."the ife and times of trujillo", published in 1966.

thank you to anyone on the forum willing to discuss the era of trujillo.

in the future i will be asking about other dictators/caudillos that ruled before trujillo...

Last edited: