travel to sousa with 2 large dogs

caicos

May 22, 2003
My husband and I will be travelling to Sousa in June 2004. We are looking for a place to rent for about 2-3 months. Our main consideration is that we have 2 large dogs (over 100lbs. each) and often times have trouble finding someone who will rent to someone with animals Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Caicos

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
There's a thread somewhere about shipping large dogs - I seem to remember that the limit is 100 lbs weight? You could have a problem there?
There are many places for rent which do not worry about tenants having dogs - you just need to find them.
Maybe one of you should visit first and get as much info as you can before committing?

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Big dogs d-Rool...:)

Hello, I have found that the airlines will not ship the dog if it weighs over 100 pounds and that includes the crate weight. I have a Great Pyrenees who I am taking to the DR. I found that American Airlines Cargo will ship her for me. www.AACARGO.com can help if you run into problems taking the dogs.
As for a place to rent I can not help you with that. Maybe contact local realtors you can find on any search engine. I am sure someone on here can help you out. Good luck and let us know what you find! :) Pam

caicos

May 22, 2003
travel to sosua with 2 large dogs

Shipping the dogs is no problem. Air freight will do it for a price and I already know what paper work is needed to bring them into the country. We have also travelled to the area a few times, but stayed at AIs, so I was just curious about people's attitudes over renting to customers with large dogs.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Kennel the damn dogs and dont put them through the BS for 8 weeks. I wouldn't rent a place to you. Why would I take a chance that you aren't housebroken? Dogs are great, it's the owners that usually suck.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scott,
Can I rent your place? I dont chew the furniture, I just pee in the bed sometimes.
Larry

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Consider the dogs health

You may want to consider the health of your dogs before planning to bring them to the island. If they are accustomed to hot climates there should be little problem. However, if they are heavy coated and originate from a temperate zone the change to the Dominican climate may be too much stress for them.

Another item you should contemplate is to check way ahead with the air service, there may be an embargo on the transport of live animals to the D.R. in effect during the summer months due to the excessive heat. The air cargo holds become ovens. If they due allow transport, it will be only for direct non-stops flights only. Don't wait until the last minute, get the full information now from the airline.

Escott does have it right. I wouldn't rent a place to you. I recommend you leave the dogs to someone you trust at home and take a vacation away from the kids. Regards,PJT

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Scott,
Can I rent your place? I dont chew the furniture, I just pee in the bed sometimes.
Larry
I heard ou crapped or nearly crapped the bed the last time you were in Jarabacoa? LOL

Hell man you are the one DOG I would let stay other than the Wack:)

Escott