What are hard-to-get or expensive items in DR that a lady would like?

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
Six of us ladies are heading down in November to Punta Cana and we would like to bring something for one of the lady's who works at the booking dept. at one of the resorts.

Is there anything that is hard to get in the DR, or is very expensive, that would be cheaper in Canada - that this lady might appreciate receiving?

We are bringing toiletries, toys etc. but would like to bring something for this lady that perhaps is difficult to afford in the DR.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
My girlsfriends in the DR usually ask for the following items:

Stockings, Perfume, Lancome lipsticks/Makeup, Cotton Sweaters/Jeans and Godiva Chocolates.

Do you know this lady? how old is she? if she is an older woman she may not be interested in the items above. There is nothing wrong in asking her if she would like anything from Canada. That way you're sure to bring the right gift.

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. We have only communicated via e-mail and we have told her we would like to bring something special for her but I don't think she will tell us. Maybe she might get in trouble with the hotel??

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
You could be right, but don't let that stop you from bringing her something, just don't give it to her in front of management. A perfume set would be nice. That's something every woman at any age appreciates and is super expensive down there.

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
One handsome man with $, romantic, humor, and very good on???...etc. (just joking)

Woman in DR are quite sentimental, even a small gift, she will be happy. Ask her.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
How nice!
Once you get down there, you will notice that even the most simple gift will do. If you have time, consider taking down some outgrown, but in good condition, t-shirts, tennies, etc. Your efforts will be most appreciated. Even a few dollars to tip the maids, bartenders, etc.
Have a great trip!
mk

Dec 9, 2002
All of my female dominican friends love perfume and make up, particularly anything that is packaged attractively, doesn't even need to be expensive. One of my friends in particular is always very impressed with matching lipstick and nail polish, especially if they come as a boxed set. If Canada is anything like England, stuff like that is all over the shops at the moment ready for Christmas.

Last time I went I took some pretty little compact mirrors and trinket boxes, that were decorated on the outside with imitation gems. They were pretty and sparkly, I could have done a roaring trade selling them I think!

Also tights and stockings are always a good choice (neutral colours). Pretty notebooks, small address books, what about a nice pen engraved with her name? I'm getting a bit carried away here ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Remember Duty Free Stores

You might find in the US departure areas or even on arrival in the DR that perfume sets are a lot less than in US stores.

I brought down some "J.Lo." perfume which is impossible to find in the DR adn owing to J Lo's popularity and the little jewelled and removable J Lo emblem on the bottle was a big hit.

Frankly even perfume from close out stores that is US name brand ( same with cosmetics) are eagerly appreciated.

Most appreciated is US$ cash. I tip hotel maid in US$, even $1 to $2 from time to time gets you better service, more towels etc. And more on departure. remember a maind may get paid RD$200 a day and a $5 tip is a day's pay almost.