Where to live.........?

donlowe

Sep 24, 2003
I am strongly considering relocating from the U.S. to D.R. for an extended period (probably six to 12 months). I am trying to figure out where I would like to live..... the coastal regions are too warm to suit me, I probably would be most comfortable at an elevation of 3,000 ft or above, which will reduce my choices considerably. Does anyone have a suggestion of a nice area or city where I might be able to rent an upscale apartment or room? Thanks for the help!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The 3000+ elevation greatly limits your options. Jarabacoa and Constanza probably your best, perhaps only, choices.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think you should visit Jarabacoa and Contanza first because everyone has a different idea of upscale. Jarabacoa is only about 1800 ft above sea level, but is not muggy at all. The town has some very upscale neighbourhoods but some really poor one also.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
What about San Jose de Ocoa ..

San Jose de las Matas and San Juan de la Maguana? I've heard these are cool, mountain towns too. However, I am not sure they have "upscale" sections. My question is: has any of you falks living in DR ever visited these places or know someone who has?

The other day I talked to a lady who lives in San Jose de Ocoa and she described it as a lovely town set in the moutains, with electricity, water, telephone service, cable and computers. The only thing is that it does not have a movie house nor a theater.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re Costa Rica, there is an expat now living in Sosua who lost a bundle of money in Costa Rica due to the policies of the current president of that country. What started as an enjoyable retirement in a beautiful home in PR turned into a nightmare. He is now in the DR, but thinking he will soon have to go back to the US and find employment.

Anyone thinking about Costa Rica should make contact with expats there to see what problems they are experiencing.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I think that Jarabacoa is about 4400 ft above sea level, slightly higher than Constanza (about 4200).

I don't know where the 1800 ft elevation figure for Jarabacoa came from. If it were meant to be meters it would be too much.

I suspect that San Jose de Las Matas is at about 1800 feet.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
bob saunders

Do you have a source for that information, as well as for other cities in the DR?

It is often claimed that Jarabacoa is higher than Constanza, although Constanza certainly "seems" to be higher.

If you're right in saying that Constanza is "only" at 3200 feet, that helps explain why it is still so hot there.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Re: bob saunders

andy a said:
Do you have a source for that information, as well as for other cities in the DR?

It is often claimed that Jarabacoa is higher than Constanza, although Constanza certainly "seems" to be higher.

If you're right in saying that Constanza is "only" at 3200 feet, that helps explain why it is still so hot there.

Any number of websites will tell you the altitude of Jarabacoa, as well as my wife who is from there(1800 ft) I was a little off on Constanza, the airport is at 3527 ft. This you can also find from a number of different websites, including the one for the city of Constanza.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I have been to Jarabacoa on 2 occasions and find it beautiful, lively and refreshingly brisk in the evening. It is also cheaper ( restaurant and bar prices) than you will find on North Coast. I am sure you could rent a nice little house for a cheap price. The women are also beautiful and the people in general very friendly.I personally would consider living there. My problem is that I would like to be around some other Americans and there does not seem to be many there. The north coast has beautiful beaches and plenty of Americans living there but from what I gather from your post, may be too hot for you.I think that when I eventually move to the DR I will probably start out on the north coast and eventually make my way inland to a place like jarabacoa where I can get away from the riff raff that lingers in the touristy areas and the inflated prices and enjoy the true beauty of the Dominican Republic and its lovely people. The further I go away from Sosua, the more I experience the friendliness, hospitality and warmth of REAL Dominicans.

Larry

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Bob Saunders,

I would settle for ONE website that was reputable. I saw one self-hyping tourist trap website that said Jarabacoa is at 1800 "meters", another that said 1800 feet - probably the same one that gave you the figure.

Escott,

Actually, downtown San Jose, CR is very conveniently laid out. The park, central hotels, girlie bars, etc. are all within easy (and comfortable - no sweltering heat) walking distance.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
andy a said:
Bob Saunders,

I would settle for ONE website that was reputable. I saw one self-hyping tourist trap website that said Jarabacoa is at 1800 "meters", another that said 1800 feet - probably the same one that gave you the figure.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/stats/pages/C02961.htm

Pay attention Andy My wife is from Jarabacoa and is very well educated and when she tell me something I believe her, as she is always right. There are many reputable websites that will tell you that Jarabacoa is at aprox 450-600 meters. If you have been to Jarabacoa and have any sense of how far you have climbed you would know that you haven't climbed 1800 meters(5850 ft)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Constanza is at more than twice the elevation of Jarabacoa. The figures indicate Constanza at 4015 ft and Jarabacoa at 1758 ft.

I have been to both locations. Constanza is higher and cooler. It is a modest community maintaining its agricultural identity. It is just on the fringes of catering to the tourist. Everything shuts down after 6 pm with the exception of Lorenzo's Restaurant. Jarabacoa is a more livelier and larger community with a greater selection of hotels, restaurants, and tourist related activities.

The mountain road from Constanza to Jarabacoa is a wonderful trip by 4x4 and is definitely downhill. Regards, PJT

[altitude info] www.calle.com/world/dominicanrepublic/index.html

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: What about San Jose de Ocoa ..

juancarlos said:
San Jose de las Matas and San Juan de la Maguana? I've heard these are cool, mountain towns too. However, I am not sure they have "upscale" sections. My question is: has any of you falks living in DR ever visited these places or know someone who has?

The other day I talked to a lady who lives in San Jose de Ocoa and she described it as a lovely town set in the moutains, with electricity, water, telephone service, cable and computers. The only thing is that it does not have a movie house nor a theater.

San Jose de Ocoa is beautiful I have stayed there a couple of times once in the town and once out in the mountains outside of the town where there is no electricity or running water.

You will actually find many town have movie houses. Our little villiage did. It was wooden benches and a rented movie shown on a tv run by a generator and it was only 4 pesos to get in. Plus it's all the kung fo and Jackie Chan or Jean Claude Van Damme that you could ever imagine. Plus San Jose de Ocoa isn't too far from Bani which is a fair large city or Santo Domingo where you'll get priemier movie houses.

I wouldn't discount a town because it doesn't have a movie house. Also I think you should make a visit to many of these places so you can see for yourself where you see yourself living, you'll only get so much out of this forum.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Driving in a car it is very hard to judge changes in altitude. Anyone who's driven much in mountainous areas such as the western US has experienced times (many times) when he thought that he was going downhill until his engine started strugggling and his transmission downshifting.

I have also traveled on that road between Jarabacoa and Constanza (just once) and did not consider it conclusive either way. When in each city, however, I agree that Constanza seems to be higher.

Also, my "gut feel" is that San Jose de los Matos is at about 1800 feet. That would seem to make it more desirable than Jarabacoa (if at similar altitude) because of proximity to Santiago and perhaps lower real estate prices.

Concerning Dominicans' taste in movies, I can confirm that they like kung fu. One time I had such a tape, but I was showing "Bullitt" at the time. While the car chase was in progress I was interrupted that they were bored and wanted to watch the kung fu tape instead.

Think how much money the producers could have saved by simply showing a typical Dominican street scene instead. Of course Steve McQueen would probably have balked at it being too dangerous.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Cool , temperate mountain towns are numerous in the DR. Constanza and Jarabacoa are the ones most well know, but there are countless others that have never been mentioned on this board. Probably because thay are less populated. If you are willing to live in a mediun size pueblo as oppossed to a small city, the possibilities are many. I have been to both Jarabacoa and Constanza numerous times. Each has their own beauty definately, but on the DR mountain town scale of beauty, neither one is higher than about a 5 or 6, in my humble opinion. I suggest exploring on your own. All one needs is a good DR road map and a car. Good luck!

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Where to live

Cozy, please, could you mention the names of some of those high altitude towns so that we can gather information which could give us an idea of what to expect. It's obvious you are familiar with the territory and have been impressed by its beauty. Please share a little bit more with those of us who like to day dream while taking a little break from our daily routine.