What is a "Campos" person in your eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
I would like to find out what that means exactly...
Any real takes on a campos person, so I know what they really are, since I have not been there yet to witness these people myself...
Oh I will not be around to answer your replies this afternoon..I am taking my son to the Circus... but I will be back later to get a few valid responses I hope..THanks for all who have intelligent replies. :) PAM

Edited by me:cool: I hope you have a Great Time, at the Circus with you son!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Tim H:cool:

Thanks Timex.. :) PAM

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Good Day, Larry!

I'm just doing a little house cleaning.:cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That answer will depend on the person. I have cousins that grew up in 'el campo" but the way they carry themselves would not qualify them as being chopo. One of my old neighbors in Santo Domingo is from La Vega and has a sister who's very rich and is a classy lady that still lives in 'el campo'. This woman actually doesn't even stay in the DR for medical checkups, she goes to Miami and gets checked there, every single time! I always wondered why she was going to Santo Domingo every three months with suitcases, ready to go to Miami. When someone mentioned to her that she could go to the Abel Gonzales Advanced Medicine Center (is that the correct spelling?) which is the most expensive clinic in the DR as far as I know, she actually scoffed at the idea of getting checked anywhere in the DR. That's one example.

My cousins that I mentioned before are all college-educated or about to get their Bachelor's in different areas, going for Graduate studies in other countries, the oldest one of the three is currently working for France Telecom (Orange Dominicana) and gets paid pretty damn good. They speak and enunciate everything unless they make a joke, would blend in with the upper-class folks if it weren't that they considered them snobby and don't wanna hang out with them anymore, and are some of the most down to earth people I know. They're white as snow but that doesn't mean anything. Both sides of my family have people in every color of the spectrum, and for the most part they behave and carry themselves with class. So there, the thing about your husband's family being from 'el campo' and being chopo would depend on the person saying it. I could care less, really, about where someone is from.........................

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have never heard the term campos person. I suppose it could include everyone living outside of a city or town, including the college educated relatives of Jon S. who have the resources to go to Miami for medical care.

Campesino is the most common term, but that is quite different than campos person and many steps below Jon S.' relatives on the economic and social ladder. Campesinos are "campos persons" but with little education and little money, though they may own quite a bit of land.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Campesino

It should have a skinny body, black and tanned from the long journeys under the sun.

A look in his eyes, like expecting some hope that his economic life will someday be better, that someday, this rich guys on their jeepetas asking him directions to get to Bavaro on that dirt road that crosses his few miles of land, will tend him a helping hand.

Must have a sombrero and colin in hand.

Might give you a sincere smile and will always be ready to zip a brugal over the melodic tunes of his favorite bachata.

If you listen to his problems, he might offer you his true friendship and introduce you to his 15 sons & daughters.

That is a campesino for me.

A Chopo is another story and has nothing to do with a hummble campesino.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Ken said:
I have never heard the term campos person. I suppose it could include everyone living outside of a city or town, including the college educated relatives of Jon S. who have the resources to go to Miami for medical care.

Campesino is the most common term, but that is quite different than campos person and many steps below Jon S.' relatives on the economic and social ladder. Campesinos are "campos persons" but with little education and little money, though they may own quite a bit of land.

Thanks Ken. I should've corrected myself earlier. However the ones that go to the US for checkups are not my relatives, they're my neighbor's relatives.............

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Re: Campesino

CaribbeanGeorge said:
It should have a skinny body, black and tanned from the long journeys under the sun.
It???!:surprised Come on, George.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
"The campo" is a term used by people who live/want to in the "country"- away from city life, GENERALY associated with a better standard of living. I'm sure this will be corrected by people who know seem to know more than me.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Generally a Campesino is almost uneducated sort of like a hard working farmer who lives inthe country. They are equivalent to the corn people in USA.
Now-a-days when we say "she is a campesina" it means she has no style or know anything about city life. She may be uneducated, lacking social manners etc. Compesinos are usually confused with chopos considering the extent of similarities among them. Campesinos are simply country people who wouldn't fit in to a city life.

CaribbeanGeorge

"Creature of Leisure"
Jan 3, 2002
www.fuentesdellago.com
Re: Campesino

CaribbeanGeorge said:
He should have a skinny body, black and tanned from the long journeys under the sun.

A look in his eyes, like expecting some hope that his economic life will someday be better, that someday, this rich guys on their jeepetas asking him directions to get to Bavaro on that dirt road that crosses his few miles of land, will tend him a helping hand.

Must have a sombrero and colin in hand.

Might give you a sincere smile and will always be ready to zip a brugal over the melodic tunes of his favorite bachata.

If you listen to his problems, he might offer you his true friendship and introduce you to his 15 sons & daughters.

That is a campesino for me.

A Chopo is another story and has nothing to do with a hummble campesino.

OOps, wrong button, correction made.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
George put it quite well, particularly that one can generally distinguish between a camposino and a chopo. My Isabel came from el campo and I have been to el campo all over the country many times. I generally characterize it as a shack home with a kitchen separate and apart from the living area of the home. That kitchen only has a food preparation area and an earthen stove/oven which cooks/bakes from a wood fed fire. The actual eating/dining area is adjacent to the kitchen. If there is no fire in the stove and no matches, you might go to a neighbor's home with a shovel to put some hot embers into so you can carry those embers home to start a fire in your stove.

Most if not all windows are open and only closed with shutters. There is no running water. Water is collected in drums or huge igloo coolers when it rains. There is no electricity. Some might run a bit of electricity from 12 volt car batteries if their campo or pueblo has a state owned generator where they can continue to charge up those batteries. Outhouses are the rule, not the exception. After it rains there's the mud, the mud, the mud and bugs and bugs and bugs. A hard wired telephone might be in the next village over. Cellulars don't work en el campo. News from the cities is often carried by word of mouth and it could take days for it to get from one place to another.

To get to these places you might have to cross a small river or two on something with rocks sticking out or holes to go into called a road. You can't travel comfortably at more than 10-15 mph and you make frequent stops for Presidentes or sodas for the kids. There's dust, mud, holes, rocks and occasionally bottoming out. We drive the highway an hour and a half to the road to Isabel's parents' home and then another hour and a half on something resembling the Ho Chi Min trail. Sometimes the river is so swollen and the roads so full of mud that you just can't get there from anywhere, nor can you get anywhere from there.

En el campo the food is always terrific and the Presidentes somehow always fresh and cold. Kids follow the gringo around and want to know about American beisbol or want to show you their farm animals or meet their families. Yucca is freshly chopped and whatever meat or poultry you eat may have been walking around yesterday or even earlier today.

There's a crucifix hanging in every room of the home but rather than a religious icon perhaps a photo of Pedro Martinez or Sammy Sosa somewhere else in the house. In the yard, animals are penned and the pigs are big and fat. A chicken might jump through the back kitchen window to steal part of a meal under preparation and the donkey tied outside the front door is heeing and hawing. Gotta watch out coming and going at the front. I wouldn't want to get kicked by him. The house isn't much but its immaculate. Dishes are always washed immediately after meals, beds are always made in the morning and floors are swept and mopped at least daily.

You get up with the sun and turn out the oil burning lamps before settling into bed. Nighttime creature comforts I am accustomed to aren't available. I can't lay in bed watching/listening to Letterman while reading a book. Books are few and far between but every home has a Bible.

You leave sometime the next day or two to go home, happy and feeling freer while thanking God for what you have while knowing those people you left behind in el campo wouldn't have our life for all of the things and money we have. Those are the Camposinos and they wouldn't have it any other way. Son dos mundos muy muy diferente y en realidad, no se que mundo es mejor.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
KenoshaChris said:

You leave sometime the next day or two to go home, happy and feeling freer while thanking God for what you have while knowing those people you left behind in el campo wouldn't have our life for all of the things and money we have. Those are the Camposinos and they wouldn't have it any other way. Son dos mundos muy muy diferente y en realidad, no se que mundo es mejor.

What a Crock!!!!

They would drop everything and leave everything behind for a chance of a better life someplace else.
Stop romantisizing poverty. Maybe it makes you feel less guilty but all it does is hold good people down.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
As usual Tony, up yours. You're the biggest crock of BS on this board. Why don't you regress and tell us again about all the sex and blow jobs you've received from Dominicanas. I'm sure the ladies looking in will be getting in line to do you. Maybe I spoke in the wrong context when I used the words "fat pigs". That goes for you and the women that would do you.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
KenoshaChris said:
As usual Tony, up yours. You're the biggest crock of BS on this board. Why don't you regress and tell us again about all the sex and blow jobs you've received from Dominicanas. I'm sure the ladies looking in will be getting in line to do you. Maybe I spoke in the wrong context when I used the words "fat pigs". That goes for you and the women that would do you.

Whoa!!! Disagree with you and you throw a hissy fit! Why am I not surprised?

Feel free to live in your romantic world where everybody is happy to be poor.
The world I live in is where people want to better their lives. To get ahead. To make a better life for their children.
Do you think that all those people who cross the Mona Passage to Puerto Rico on a yola are from Piantini or Naco?
Every time I am in the Campo i am always asked one of 2 questions.
Can I get them a job in Santo Domingo?
or
Can I help them get to the US?

The only way that most of the people in the Campo Survive is because a Family member has managed to escape to either the Capital or the US and is sending whatever they can in remmitance.

Poverty Sucks...........Deal with it!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In Few Words,........................

A "Campesino" is like a "Hillbilly",("Po", but honest & hardworking)but a "Chopo" is like, "Po White Trash"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Just a "Good Ol' Boy",Cris colon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My sense is that the campesino women work harder than the men. The men work hard when in their conuco but the women work all the time.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Wow see the different views..

OK I can say my husband is from a campos area..but have phones, nice homes with windows, money, cars and travel to the US every year..So they are not Chopo Campos people..Just wanted a different view point than what AZB called my in laws....Thanks guys I can deal with a hard working farmer family as relatives..but not a CHOPO type family..which they are not..THanks! :) PAM

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: In Few Words,........................

Criss Colon said:
a "Chopo" is like, "Po White Trash"!
Yes, but thanks to El Buro they all have Jeepetas now. Think Beverly Hillbillies, but without the honesty or sophistication.

Status
Not open for further replies.