Puerto Plata Airport - Samana

miovlev

Sep 28, 2003
Hallo friends,

Can someone to get me one advice:

I'm going to visit DR in Oktober and I'll come to airport Puerto Plata at about 12.00. I know, there are some possibilities to get to Samana: with air (too expencive for us), taxi, bus (this time is too late for the bus, the last go at 7.15 from POP), gua-gua (unreal with bags and for a first day with adoptation) ...

So, the taxi is the last possibility for us. Is it reall to get to Samana for about 60$???. 100$ to expencive for us... :(

If yes, where is better to look the car and may be some other tipps, how wie can make it better and cheaper?

Thank you very much for advance,

Max

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The cheapest may be to spend the night in Sosua and take the bus the next morning. I think you could do that on $60. Get a room for the night from Rocky (a regular poster on this board) for about $15, eat where Rocky recommends, take a taxi to Caribe Tour for about $3, and a bus to Samana for $3-4/person.

To contact Rocky http://www.rockysbar.com/

miovlev

Sep 28, 2003
Thank you very much for you post, but I have to get a taxi, so i've booked the hotel from the first day.... I've no others ways, i've to go there at the first day. The Taxi should'n be so expensive, i think about 60$ is ok? Or?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When the rate of exchange was about 18 to 1, the price of a taxi to Samana was $80 or more. Expect to pay the same now. (Especially when dealing with airport taxis. They figure you have no choice but pay their price.) If that is truly too much, and assuming you are going to get to Puerto Plata about 12 or 1pm as you say, then take a taxi to the Caribe Tours bus station in Nagua and a bus from there. Several buses leave Santo Domingo for Samana in the afternoon and pass through Nagua. You may have to wait in Nagua for awhile, but you will save money. Also, you will probably not be getting to Samana until late afternoon or early evening. But total cost will be closer to $60 than if you take a taxi all the way

miovlev

Sep 28, 2003
Ken, thank you very much for you help and for your attention.

I think, i'll try to deal with a my price, and if they are not agree with it, i have to look something else...

One more question:

1. May be is it better to look for a taxi in POP?
2. May be exist some low-costs taxi companys?
3. I'll pay in USD, EUR or RD for a taxi?

Thank your for advance,

Max

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The airport is closer to Sosua than Puerto Plata. In Sosua, you might get a lower price than at the airport. People I would ask are the drivers that have the red and blue boxes on top of their cars. They charge less than taxis.

Dollars is the currency to pay in. Everybody understands dollars.

Good luck