Dominican Work Ethic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Do Dominicans have a strong work ethic compared with other cultures such as East Indians or Orientals?

It seems to me that their slower lifestyle and attitude to work directly reflects their economic situation.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is no "EASY" answer to this question!

At first one might jump to the conclusion that "Dominican Work Ethic", is an "Oxymoron"! But there may be another way to look at this question.
In a culture where many times people borrow money,never to pay it back,or contract for work,and then don't pay for the work once completed,or just don't honor commitments,verbal or written,how hard would you work? You can work hard for months on a promise of future payment,and get "screwed"!
When the same workers who "hide" and basically evade work,at our place of business,come to my house to work,they are unstopable! Why,immediate reward for their labor! No job is to "hard,dirty,or demeaning" for them to do! Clean the septic system,trim trees,fill the "Planta" with diesel fuel,paint,you name it!If they know they will be paid at the end of their labor,get out of their way!!
There is a strong "Dominican Work Ethic",you just need to know how to get it' "In Gear"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcris

Marianna

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 8, 2003
You'll have to do more research......

I think it is far too easy to say that the work ethic of the Dominicans is laid back. Look at he history of the Caribbean, it's social, it's is cultural, it's is politcal climate, the climate, period. If you want to compare this part of the world to North America or Europe- no contest. The incentives, the opportunities, etc. are far greater for those of us privledged enough to come from developed countries.
Can you imagine the frustration of wanting to forge ahead with a new idea, a new concept, new business etc. as a Dominican in the DR without the help from someone with capital.
Lets hear from some of you Dominican entrepreneurs out there.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Ethics schmethics

I think Chriss is right, once you know how to incentivate dominicans to work, you can get really good results. I believe it is kinda like a balancing act, what do you need to give me what I want.
From experience I can tell you, time estimates are useless here. If you part from that point, you'll save yourself many a headaches. I have an ebanista (carpenter) doing some work in my house and at first I thought the guy was expensive and painfully slow. As the work has progressed and is now near completion, I've been told by friends that the quality of his work was far superior to most ebanistas who usually provide a quick fix up job.

Mariana is right too. Historically, we have been a nation of slackers. When it all started, the indians, who did not believe in hard work, had a problem with the Spaniards because neither wanted to do this thing called work, their only problem was they didnt have guns and the Spanish did, so they where enslaved and most died or fled during the first 100 years of occupation and forced labor. Estimates indicate that close to 400.000 Tainos died. Then, out of a free labor hand, the whities brought darkies from Africa and forced them to their work for them and had a industrious relationship with our French neighboors untill our French partners decided to abolished slavery. When it was every man for himself, the fit hit the Shan because Dominicans, White and Mulatoes, did not want to do this thing called work. The French Haitians kicked our ass then and freed the slaves. Then, Napoleon decided to reinstitute slavery and the frenchies and spanish went on a crusade to get their Hatian friends back to work for free....and Dominicans lost. Haiti ruled us for 44 years and when we kikced them out, the dominican whites and mulatoes where dying to reinstitute slavery but they had suscribed the services of so many peasants that it would have killed their nation proyect known as the Republica Dominicana. So they decided to work, just not as hard as everyone else. From then on, Dominicans of all color have gone out of their way to avoid heavy doses of labor.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Dominicans are the Hardest working people I know

They will drop everything else for work, no matter what time of day it is. Will work late into the night if required. The successful Dominicans here busted thier asses to a level we will never know to obtain success. Each and every Dominican practices a level of capitalisum that does not exist in the US and elsewhere. Most houses operate a business or two right out of the house.

As a forigner your must demonstrate you knowedge of the value of money, or you will not be taken seriously (i.e. a fool and his money are soon parted).

-Lee

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As the above post points out,the "Dominican Definition" of "HARD WORK"...

is not the same as the rest of the World's!!!!!! A Dominican thinks he is working hard if he has a job! :Arrives late,(8:30)looks for something to eat,eats,putters around for about an hour,(Try and find him!)rests up for lunch,at 12 he MUST eat for about 30 minutes,"Baja La Comida"(Let the food settle) for 30 minutes,(If they don't fall asleep right after the "Comida")Sleep for at least an hour,putter around for about another hour,look for a "snack",get ready to leave for about an hour,at 4:30 hang around waiting to leave! "Wow,I killed myself today!"

Kind of like a "Federal Worker" in the US!

My wife wouldn't know "Hard Work" if it walked in and bit her on the ass!

Dominicans enjoy "Hard Work"!..They can sit and watch it for hours!!!

Of course that is my view,an American,the most productive workers in the World!!!(Don't take my word,Its TRUE!)

ccccccccccccccccccccccccc;)

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Criss I don't know what Dominicans you associate with . . .

But the ones I know work very hard. Maybe you've hung with the wrong group. I'm sure many others can testify to the same thing, you just need to solicite an opinion and listen. But if your sure you know the answer, just run with it.

-Lee

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Nooners

You forgot one thing Chris. Sr. Perez(oso) has to leave work for an hour to 90 minutes to go see his girlfriend. She's of paramount or, paramour importance, whether he's "employed" or not. Yeah, that's why he has this job you see. Yeah, so he can take care of his kids.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Ethics, schmethics part 2

"Donde ta lo mio?"

This is my favorite part of Dominican work ethics. Everywhere you go, be it the public or the private sector, dominicans expect an honorary fee to do what they are supposed to do for a contracted salary.

Allow me to elaborate with an example or two:

You go to a public office to deposit some documents in order to get a permit or an authorazation. Of course you expect your regular burocratic lead time in order for the wheels of progress to start moving so they make you come back in a day or two. At your return, you find a guy sitting behind a perfectly clean and empty desk with a Pansita Cervecera the size of a tinaco holding your file in his hand and the sole universal power to expedite your request. When this man asks you....y, que hay pa mi? At that moment you are reminded wich level of hell you are standing and you bent down search for your wallet and pay the piper his duties, aside from his salary, which comes from, guess.........tax payers money!!! :laugh: (ie.: you and me), so we are getting fu&*ed twice!

In the private sector is pretty much the same thing, a worker is sent to buy materiales for the shop, he goes to a ferreteria, gets what he needs and at the moment to pay for the merchandise asks to see the manager. Says to the manager, look, I am purchasing this material for you, i dont want a discount I want my comission. Que hay pa mi. This comission is usually handed out in cash, untraceable. This on top of his fees or regular salary!

And this goes on from top to bottom!
:eek:

Last edited:

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
Indians, Spanish, and Slaves ethic

I clearly remember my Professor of Historia del Arte y la Cultura Dominicana, at university O&M, in Santiago 1992 explaning me some of reasons why we dominicans were lazy, did not have work ethics= sub-desarrollo.
Part of the of the problem, he explained is our ancestor.
Spanish were plunderers, dedicated to emrich their country to fight sacred war. We all know what they did to the taino's population at the time. To the point that, in the caribbean there are basically none left.
Then replaced them with slaves from Africa and keep the wheel going.
Our Tainos from all caribbean, caribes, siboneyes, and boricuas were considered as very lazy, as an example they were conquered fast and easy.
A black population that grew up scared in a racist country ( as a good example we call the negros, and use the haitiano with derogation.
Still to these days Leonel has been the darkest mulato we had as a president. Look at the arguments Vincho used during campain against him.

We also had a Jefe. His secret service used to questions blacks with making them repeat the "Peregil.

Back to the present, I remember going to La Vega to renew my domincan passport.
I go with my Dad at 9:00AM.
First pay a buscon to get us inside ( the mafia was so big that we coud not even enter the building.
The buscon dropped money to the police officers there "para los numeros del domingo"
Then, getting the passport,
I had to pay a 1000 pesos because I wanted it the same day.
The stamps only " sellos" were 625.00,
then I had to pay anothe 200 because the Officer who signs the paper was not there, she was working from home because she received threats.
A guy took off in a passola with bag full papers and passports.
Came back 2 hours later with all of then ready.

AJ

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Dominican work ethic is due mostly to the Dominican general populace's lack of responsibility!!!!!! I'm with CC on this one. There are few exceptions to that rule and those come along when have been exposed to other cultures and their work ethic. For example, my father grew up in a tumultous time in the DR, during and right after the Trujillo dictatorship. His father was a Navy officer who got killed in the War back in 1965. From that point on, my father has managed to put 5 of his brothers and sisters thru college. He even had a candy stand and sold soda pop to the sailors over at the Navy post by San Souci, saved up enough money to put up a roof over the house and still had money left over......even though it took a while to save it all up. He's been traveling since the late 60s so it definitely has something to do with it..........thats 1 example

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Fred;

Before you read any further, do a little research into Roman and Byzintine history.
Then look at the Arab historical culture. Then equate all this to present day Mediterranen culture as applies to government beaurocracies throughout the entire Mediterranean region and Latin America in it's entirety.
I think you will begin, thereby, to understand the Dominican cultural work ethic as being an inherited syndrome through the associations. Dominican culture, while being unique in many ways, is still one that has been inherited from the Med. You must remember that the "what was good enough for popi is good enough for me" idea is very prevalent and not likely to be abrogated anytime in the near future.

Texas Bill

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Well Dominicans do have to contend with the legacy of slavery . . .

Generation upon generation of white people who expected others to do the work, as the layers of lard collected on thier butts and as they multiplied, we a left with a bunch of complainers that are incapable of action, that is our legacy. :)
I've never seen any one work as hard as a Haitian at field work, hell I'd collapse after the first hour of following one of those field workers around.

-Lee

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Well Dominicans do have to contend with the legacy of slavery . . .

ltsnyder said:
I've never seen any one work as hard as a Haitian at field work, hell I'd collapse after the first hour of following one of those field workers around.
-Lee

Martin is a Hatian friend of mine. I met him in a construction site and asked him to do some work in a house my father left me. He doesnt bitch about the economic situation, doesnt come late, doesnt leave a mess and doesnt stop untill he finishes. I hired him to take down a wall on a 35 year old house (construction wise is far more solid and rigid than now a days) and then pick up the debris and load that into a truck. This task he completed in a single day and I would bet his Dominican counterpart would have taken atleast 3.

Martin is also a friendlier type of guy, likes to play with the dogs (Dominican workers where always afraid of them) and always says hello smiling, while Dominican workers had a strange attitude as if they where doing me a favor.

I dunno, thats just my experience.
Hard construction labor = Hatian
Gardening = Dominican
House work = Yourself but if you must, Dominican with supervision
Plumbing, Carpintery Ironwork and Painting = Dominican with really close supervision.

The rest, you are better off doing it your self!!

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Speaking from my Personal experience with a Dominican Husband..

My husband is a hard working Dominican, who is physically fit and tall. He can and has dug ditches for a construction company while all Americans, Mexican co-workers watched in AWE..He is usually the only one working when I go to have lunch with him...They generally give him all the hardest jobs..He has cleared alot of our 35 acres mostly with a Machete' much to the amazement of all our neighbors who are afraid of anyone who can swing a Machete' the way he can..:)
I think some Dominicans who grew up doing HARD work even as a pre-teen like my husband have that hard work instilled into them..My husband for one is not Money driven...He works but has a menial job where the people he works with and for love him as he does not sit around and BS, gets to the job at hand and has no fear of hard labor..This he learned from his dad in the DR on a cocoa farm...He rode a donkey everywhere..Can walk for miles with no complaints..So some have been taught that hard labor is a way of life and are willing to do it.
I am sure though if you are looking for someone who is meticulous in their work..I may not pick a Dominican...Kind of a Half-ass approach to many things...The only person I have seen load a dishwasher and consider it full with about 10 dishes..:) PAM

For the few who think since I have not BEEN to the DR YET that I should not post....I am speaking of first hand experience of 6+ years of watching a dominican work almost daily..He refuses to work on Sunday..something he learned from his father in Yamasa' DR..:)

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
When I first visited the Dr during Holy Week 2001 I could not believe that people were working and construction was going on.

Previous experience in Venezuela taught me Holy Week was a full week off!

So in comparison to Venezuelans I find the work ethic to be better.

My host family in PoP had a lovely Haitian guy working for them, he was reliable and caring. He also spoke Parisian French because his uncles travelled often to France and spoke it well.

Now their maids on the other hand, it was like a revolving door, three years, three visits, three maids with changes in between those changes. All Dominican girls. However the reason they came and went to quickly was because la abuela in the house abused them.

"Hey stupid, fix the food," isn't the best working conditions.

However when the lady of the house was present and in charge, the girls practically worshipped her and did boatloads of work. Of course she was the type to roll up her sleeves and get the job done with their help, she wasn't the type to sit back and boss them around.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Please, no all dominicans are the same way...

I?m dominican born and raised , I?ve worked my*** out in this country with so many really few opportunities for hard working people... and I think I?ve succeed ,look, foreign investors come here looking for cheap, hard working people:

Why the Dominican Republic?
1) Quality of life. It's a good place to live and raise a family.
2) It's got great weather.
3) Well organized business community.
4) Geographically located near major trade markets in the center of the Americas.
5) Abundant non-skilled work force of earnest and fast-learning young people.
6) Abundant qualified managerial staff available.
6) It has a large domestic market.
7) It has the largest tourism industry in the Caribbean which is a large export market within the country.
8) Excellent telecommunications service.
9) Diversity of investment opportunities
10) Preferential trade agreements signed with Europe, the United States, the Caribbean and Central America
11) Positive attitude towards foreigners and foreign investors.
12) Fastest growing economy in Latin America for the past five years.
13) Political stability.
14) Low crime rate.
15) DR is a true melting pot with little racial tensions.

All the above 15 items are posted in the very DR1 site (sorry if is copyrigthed material)

Most skilled dominican workers are reliable and hard working...

I think my friend (may I call you so?) CC maybe have to be introduced with honest and hard working dominican people....
;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Just my observations

It takes all kinds.

I've met some incredibly hard working Dominicans in the states and they were part of the allure to this culture for me.

Once living here, I've seen some very hard working and concientous efforts. But as for quality, I have yet to see much where a little pride (quality workmanship) has been applied - but a part of the mentality (here) is to just make do. My father was an amazing carpenter, I have very high standards when it comes to such things. Most "craftsmen" here don't pay attention to "painting within the lines".

But then again I agree in the sense that you'll find many that will drop everything to help you fix a flat, figure out your electricity problem, or work all day to help fix a water problem or whatever. I have yet to meet a "neighbor" that wouldn't go the extra kilometer for me in a time of need.

I've also seen the polar extreme of laziness that is mindboggling, but that is clearly evident all over white trash America too - they aren't the most obese because there are simply more Wendy's. The only ones left living the American dream in the States are all foreign born.

That being said, I'm sure the origins of the culture have a lot to do with it. In addition, those of us that come from the northern hemisphere where there is the inherent battle to the winter elements, our forefathers (and mothers) worked long and hard hours to supply for a winter in near hibernation - even I, born in 70, canned fruits and veggies for the winter that we stored in our root cellar. That certainly has some carryover.

Here, where the weather is constant, and fruit (food) hangs from bushes and trees all year long, there is less concern for tomorrow's meal, so to speak. Staples of the diet are weed roots, they grow anywhere and all the time.

This is just a different place with a different pace.

Comparing it to anywhere else is good fodder for old ladies sipping tea (or know-it-alls-on-message-boards), beyond that, get over it..... and buy yourself a killer set of tools and concrete drill.

....DAMN! I let my neighbor borrow it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.