What kind of roofs are there.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Well there are tin roofs mounted on wooden beams, but they can blow off in a storm. There are cement slab roofs, but the are heavy and a worry for Earthquake areas. I think the best kind of roof I have seen is the red tiles mounted to a wooden frame, to heavy to blow off in a storm and not a crushing dead weight in a catastrophic (read above 7.5) earthquake.

Need to start to think about roofs, any comments?

Tin roofs I think are difficult to get approved in any house design in any Urbanization zone, I guess what I am asking is, are there any other options? Forget about asbestos . . . . that is not an option.

-Lee

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Worrying" about damage from an Earthquake

is a waste of your time and energy! And those "Red Tiles" do fly off during a hurrican,and fall down during an earthquake! Best is a cement roof(Strong!) covered by red tile,(beautiful!)CC

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I've not even heard ...

the most comfortable type roof mentioned - thatch.

It is by far the coolest and quietest, two very important factors in the DR.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Thatch?????

How long does a thatch roof last? I have found several homes for sale with the thatch roof and thought ..no way..but my husband says they are great. How long do they last? Do they cost alot to be installed? Anyone know if they mold? I need to research this now that you brought it up..Thanks! :) Pam

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Personally I love the sound of rain on zinc, and if the ceiling are built tall enough it doesn't get too hot. Thatch are cool in tempertaure wise as well. I have no clue how much they cost though.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
I think the biggest problem with thatched roofs is mites (such as chicken mites) living in it. Keep chickens away. Also, fumigation occasionally is probably a good idea.

The heat and sunlight would help control fungus.

I know a gringo who built his own house and chose a thatched roof. I've never heard him regret it.

I agree that the possibility of storms or earthquakes should not be a factor for a single story dwelling. Anyway, if I had to choose a roof to fall on me it would definitely be a thached one. Tornadoes don't occur there (too far south, on average), and hurricane force winds are not likely inland.

I too like to hear the rain on a tin (zinc) roof, but it sounds pretty good on a thatched one too. Unfortunately, such a sound is often wasted in the DR. It seldom rains at night, because most of the rain there is in the form of popup afternoon thunderstorms. Of course, it's still nice for a quickie, if the opportunity arises.

BEFORE BUYING A HOUSE WITH A THATCHED ROOF, MAKE SURE THAT THE WALLS DIDN'T COME FROM THE TRUNKS OF THE SAME PALM TREES - IN THE FORM OF SLABS. If the walls are slab, they can't be mosquito-proofed.

Concerning tin roofs, be sure to paint them a very reflective white - makes a hell of a difference.

I suspect that the cost of a zinc or thatched roof is similar.

Edited to add:
Sorry, I forgot to mention longevity. I don't really know, but it's a lot longer that most people would suspect. Anyway, repairs can be made piecemeal, economically. Dominicans do it all the time.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Or does the roof even matter that much?

Maybe the type of land your house is built on has more importance?

When I lived in San Francisco (CA), people always talked about the Marina as an area that was built on very soft sand (or something). The commentary was that if there's a big earthquake, that area will just vanish.

Can DR1 bring on an earthquake expert to answer our questions on this stuff?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Roofs

Poured concrete roofs can strengthen a house, of course. They are sturdy, cool, and very long lived.

Zinc/tin roofs are economical, easy upkeep, highly vulnerable to high winds. There is nothing better than rain on a tin roof. Usually in the Campo where most houses have these roofs, they are built on 14 or 15 foot heights, so heat is well above head level.

Then there are the thatched or "cana" roofs. They are very long lived, at least 15 years for a well done cana roof, at least 10 or 12 inches thick, and tightly placed (more palm leaves per linear foot). These are done by artisans that are brought in especially for the purpose. One of the richest families in the land has a house with thatched roofs. It does have excellent thermal characteristics, and who cares if it blows away.??

The Bermuda roofs of poured concrete are coming into vogue over the past few years. Four sided, stepped concrete. Look good and have personality and great strength.

HB