Everyone Applauds When the Plane Lands?

C

Cindy

This really surprised us when we landed in Puerto Plata -- is this something done on every flight coming into DR? I think it is a wonderful expression of how most of us feel when arriving there... but just wondering if it is done when landing elsewhere ie. Mexico or Cuba etc.?

E

ECH, M.D.

Every flight my dear, guess they marvel that they made it down in one piece. Or, maybe they are just glad to be home. Who knows? Don't know about Cuba but did not experience this in Mexico.

B

Bill - Ontario

I found that many people do this (clap on touchdown) - especially on charter flights - regardless of the destination airport. I have no objection to it, but unfortunately in most cases it is done prematurely. As an ex - air traffic controller - the Tenerife incident always comes to my mind.

R

Rebecca

Every time that I have flown a charter flight into a tourist area, international or domestic, the people clap. I think it is because all of us overworked, two weeks of vacation per year americans are pent up and are overwelmed with the idea of not having to work for a few days!

T

Tom

>>>>>. As an ex - air traffic controller - the Tenerife incident always comes to my mind. >

Bill

Weren't both of those 74's departing?

Tom

J

Jskr1

My first experience with this on a commercial flight was on landing on the DR but I have noticed that over the years the number of participants in this DR tradition is dropping, in the "old days" the applause was thunderous now it is just polite recognition by some of the passengers. I miss the old days.

Mi primera experiencia con esto en un vuelo comercial estaba en el aterrizaje en el dr pero he notado que conclu?do los a?os que el n?mero de participantes en esta tradici?n del dr est? cayendo, en los " viejos d?as " el aplauso era thunderous ahora ?l es apenas reconocimiento cort?s de algunos de los pasajeros. Falto los viejos d?as.

B

Bill - Ontario

Tom: Si Senor - The point is - At touchdown - you do not know what is at the other end of the runway. People do not normally clap on departure - but they sure do at touchdown.

M

MarlyF

Hi:

I have travelled out of my country (Canada) lots and when arriving in a different country and arriving home to your own country, applause always takes place. People are happy to arrive at their destination for a relaxing holiday and happy to arrive back home to their own country safe and sound.

Marly

J

John

As long as my number of landings equals my number of takeoffs I'm satisfied. I don't applaud because I don't expect otherwise. It seems superfluous in that you expect the airline to get you there. But I have no objection to those who do applaud. Do they have reservations about safe arrival?

J

Jim Hinsch

I hear applause whenever I fly on a plane full of passengers that are infrequent flyers. The flights to Santo Domingo from NYC clap a lot but not from Miami so much. Ditto with arrival in NYC from Santo Domingo but not into Miami. Charter flights tend to have a lot of clappers too.

T

Tom

The ONLY place I have experienced this is in the DR. Someone once told me it was a "carry over" from the days of Dominican Air, the passengers were happy to land in one piece

Tom

L

Loula

Applauding when landing is quite common in Europe but only on (cheap) charter flights with infrequent flyers. I guess it's a sign of relief that they made it safe - going out or home doesn't matter. On the normal, scheduled flights with the big airlines I've never experienced the phenomenon.

P

Phyllis

I agree with the others "we are so happy to be on vacation", but I also think it's a way to say "THANKS" to the Pilot and crew for a safe landing!

K

KENNEY

I remember the applauding as a child, enroute to visit grandparents in the DR, but have never experienced it again as an adult. I've been to Mexico and they haven't done this. It's never been done in the states on any of my travels either. Maybe its just a sign of relief or to express the excitement of finally getting to your destination.

Chao!

P

Pascal Yhuello

This is very typical of a charter flight or a regualr flight to an exotic destination . Being one of those who fly weekly , this not a practice . It however sometimes happen that I come across clappers going down to Greece or Turkey or... for work. I believe this is how unfrequent flyiers express hapiness Ciao y buon viaje

P

Pascal Yhuello

This is very typical of a charter flight or a regualr flight to an exotic destination . Being one of those who fly weekly , this not a practice . It however sometimes happen that I come across clappers going down to Greece or Turkey or... for work. I believe this is how unfrequent flyiers express hapiness Ciao y buon viaje

D

Doreen Von Essen

I flew on Dominicana, Twice. I was very happy to have landed. I clapped too...and swore never to fly them again...

M

Mark

true story:

Upon landing in Santa Domingo a first-time Dominican Air passanger was heard nervously asking the flight attendant: "WAS THAT A LANDING OR WERE WE SHOT DOWN?" :eek:)

S

Sharon

The applause is for a safe flight and landing. This is commonly practiced throughout the West Indies