How to board a plane

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I recently flew from JFK into Santiago. It was my first time flying into santiago and I think I was the only gringo on the plane. My previous flights into POP were more a mix of tourists and Dominicans and there was a remarkable difference this time. I was one of the first passengers to board the plane and I found my seat, put my bag in the overhead compartment above my seat and sat down. I then observed the rest of the passengers board the plane. It was like utter choas. People kept taking the wrong seats. Then when the right people for the seat arrived there was confusion . Then people were using the overhead compartment across from their seat instead of their own and that caused a few arguements. People were standing in the aisles for 20 minutes waiting for things to be sorted out and then some people even tried to walk BACKWARDS in the aisle toward the front again (I have no idea why) confusing things even more. What should have taken 10 minutes took 45. Then when the plane finally took off people kept getting up and walking around when the seatbelt light was on and the stewardess kept having to tell them to sit down and people still kept getting up and walking around. It was like dealing with a plane full of 6 year olds. Absolutely no order. Getting my suitcase off the conveyer belt was a whole other disaster all together as the Dominican passengers kept crowding around the belt and picking up the wrong suitcase and so on. They all wanted to be right were the suitcases come out and they kept shoving and yelling and it was mass confusion again. The flight back to NY....the EXACT same nonsense.
Larry

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
very funny but I am not shocked by this.

I flew from Newark to Santiago not long ago. Same issues you described. People I think just don't want to follow instructions. It can't be that they don't speak English because they made announcements in spanish.

When they were going over the emergency procedures, people were just talking and being really loud. The flight attendants were trying to quiet the crowd down and they would not listen. Finally, I just said "shhhhh" really loud and some people around me calmed down a bit and she said thank you to me.

There was a lady behind me who did not shut her mouth throughout the whole flight. She sounded like a turkey just yapping away. I wanted to turn around and tell her to shut her mouth up.

When the planes takes off, there is a man across from ena nd he start saying "dale carajo, vamo, coje fuerza"

he thinks the plane is a horse that you talk or yell at it to go faster. I laughed for the next ten minutes. :)

There was a bad storm getting into Santiago and we ended landing in SDQ and there was all this chaos. We eventully made it to Santiago.

When we were intially getting into Santiago, the pilot speaks of the bad weather and how you need to have certain visibility to land the aircraft. The same man across from me says that next time he will fly American ( we were on Continental) because American Airlines would have landed the plane with no problem. What is it with some Dominicans and AA? I was lmao louder than before to the point that my wife was telling me to calm down before that man would notice and get upset. It was nto my fault he was a moron.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
When I went down in August, my husband was running late, so I went ahead and boarded, took my seat, no problem. I was not sitting down 5 minutes when this man sits next to me. He looked so serious, and composed, I didn't know what to think. I told him that seat was my husband's. He replied that the plane was about to leave soon and that my husband w/ probably miss it. He wanted me to let him stay because he couldn't deal w/ the noise that was going on in the back. I was outraged at his insolence. I immediately signaled the flight attendant and he was asked to leave. I don't know which is worst, the ignorant ones or the pushy insolent types.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
wife and I were waiting for our bags by the coveyor belt anf it is exactly how Larry point it out. A lady looks at me as if she needed my help with the bags. I looked right back at her and nodded let her know that I was not going to help her. The lady had young boy with her and had 4 suitcases and two bags..what is up with that?

I did not intend to be rude with her but you don't know what other people have in their bags. I have heard stories of being getting arrested for helping others carry bags which end up having drugs and other illegal things.

Anways, who the hell told her to bring so many bags. It's not responsibilty to carry her stuff for her. She was giving me dirty looks as if I was at fault for not helping her. Some people really don't like taking responsibility for their nonsense.

I go to the inspector with our bags and he says "tirate unos dolaritos ahi"..I slip the guy a 10 dollar bill and we are on our way to the rental car office.

most people are still inside waiting for their 50 maletas to come out. I know you want to bring stuff back to family, but if u are alone, please don't bring what you will not be able to carry.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Why do y'all think the airlines add an extra 45 minutes or an hour to the flight schedule in or out of the DR? They KNOW what it's like. It's the same for most Caribbean destinations, even the English ones.

I will put $$ on it that all of your flights somehow, MIRACULOUSLY had an on-schedule arrival as well, except for the weather-diverted flight.

If you have made it to your seat, stowed your carry-on, sat down, and buckeled up, why in God's name are you getting so worked up over ANYBODY ELSE on the flight???? Take a chill pill, lose your control issues, and start carrying a Walkman if you don't want to listen to all of it. Everyone on the plane will be happier.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
GringoCArlos said:
[B

If you have made it to your seat, stowed your carry-on, sat down, and buckeled up, why in God's name are you getting so worked up over ANYBODY ELSE on the flight???? Take a chill pill, lose your control issues, and start carrying a Walkman if you don't want to listen to all of it. Everyone on the plane will be happier. [/B]

Because I cant understand the confusion over a simple task. I dont have control issues as you say but it would have been nice to have an easy flight without all the unneccisary hoopla and a simple "see your luggage on the conveyor belt and take it off" method of collecting ones luggage is nice without all the pushing and shoving. Its all a matter of courtesy and consideration Carlos.
Larry

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
gringo I will cut you some slack because we carry the same name.

;)

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
.....some people even tried to walk BACKWARDS in the aisle toward the front again.....the flight back to NY....the EXACT same nonsense.

Sounds like an episode from Outer Limits...... Did you happen to notice if the outbound passengers were the same ones that flew in with you? That goes beyond serendipity.

For a serious out-of-body experience, nothing can beat a Congo Air AN26 flying up country...and the overhead baggage comprises chickens, small pigs and/or a drippling, whole monkey killed "just" a few days back. To make it even more fun and exotic, soap and water, much less deodorant, are unknown products. But at least people were always courteous and cheerful, so it was hard to get angry if someone's juvenile alligator got loose in the aisle.

Relating to the DR....I take it one should avoid if possible flying into SDomingo? All-in-all, however, it must be said there are worse things that could happen than noisy, rude people. No?

Best, P

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Re: How to board a plane

Relating to the DR....I take it one should avoid if possible flying into SDomingo?

Best, P [/B][/QUOTE]

POP and Santiago are just as chaotic. Is the Dominicans themselves that are unruly, excitable people.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: Re: Re: How to board a plane

Forbeca said:
Relating to the DR....I take it one should avoid if possible flying into SDomingo?

Best, P

POP and Santiago are just as chaotic. Is the Dominicans themselves that are unruly, excitable people.

they are all the same unless you fly into Punta Cana.

but when I flew there, it was a charter and we were all tourists.

It's a Dominican thing I guess.

The best are those that dress as if they were going to a wedding.

or the guy with 300 chains and "un pote" de ron who keeps it hidden so they flight attendant won't get on his case.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: How to board a plane

cmedina07 said:
It's a Dominican thing I guess.
Naw, it's an international..... thing. Think I'm going to feel right at home when I get there. Love it.

Best, P

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's Not Just the Disorganization

GringoCArlos said:
Why do y'all think the airlines add an extra 45 minutes or an hour to the flight schedule in or out of the DR? They KNOW what it's like. It's the same for most Caribbean destinations, even the English ones.

In a word: US Customs. And the INS. (OK, 5 words and 2 small sentence fragments)

My connections from Toronto to SDQ are only around an hour going to SDQ via MIA and a little over 2 hours coming back to allow for the INS and Customs and luggage on arrival.

The boarding process is a bit chaotic I agree, the minute the microphone is picked up, POW! all passengers to the gate, screw all this orderly boarding of 1st class, group 1-5 etc.

AA has been pretty good of late keeping the pushy ones away when they are boarding us in first class and premier frequent flyers, after that it is every row all at once.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
The only time I've ever been able to leave on time in any flight from DR have been the times I left on chartered jets. More food, quicker flights and really nice leather seats that those Cessna Citation X jets have, eh ;) even though Challenger 601s are even better..........

The December flights are the worst ones. It's complete chaos over there and on the planes too. A few years back, I wanted to be a pilot, but the hassle of having to wait for 250 unruly Dominicans really put me off to that idea when I got older. Besides, I wear glasses :glasses: ...................I love my people but some of their bad habits really put me off...........

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Jon, do you clap when the plane lands? (Or are you too cool to do that?)

-Indie

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I also ask for a window seat and I always seem to find someone in my seat and then having to compare tickets and point them to their aisle or middle row seat. Disappionted they always are, but not my problem.....

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I have learned yo just accept and enjoy. Noting you can do about it so just sit back and people watch.
When getting my luggage I just stand back and watch. When my luggage comes around if I can't get at it I wait til it comes around again. Usually some nice human will lift it off when I am trying to reach between all the humans.
Don't be a poop. Just try to enjoy and people watching can be a good time too!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
Because I cant understand the confusion over a simple task.
Larry

Hahahaha, Larry, please do not consider the DR as a country to live in, it will kill you.

That's one of the reasons some of us choose to live here, it adds colour and spice to life :)

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
This is what I mean when I say...

People watch...Get yourself where you have to be and just relax and enjoy the entertainment..That is what makes traveling so much fun :)..You get to see things you do not normally view at home RIGHT?
As for people who sometimes find they need help with a bag because of small kids etc..Give the people a hand if you have the spare hands..Maybe that will be you one day and you would appreciate it when someone stops to help you out..
I have been stuck in LAX for 11 hour layover with a 75 lb dog and a 2 yr old..A man came along with 2 small snappy poodles and all hell breaks loose... I had to hold down a luggage buggy with a screaming 2 yr old and a dog trying to get to the snappy poodles when the cart turned over..I was VERY THankful for the man who helped me out and still am to this day..My dog was very nice but had been crated along time and was going to a relief area for dogs..Just a big mess that was..:) PAM

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Re: This is what I mean when I say...

goatfarmnga said:
People watch...Get yourself where you have to be and just relax and enjoy the entertainment..That is what makes traveling so much fun :)..You get to see things you do not normally view at home RIGHT?
As for people who sometimes find they need help with a bag because of small kids etc..Give the people a hand if you have the spare hands..Maybe that will be you one day and you would appreciate it when someone stops to help you out..
I have been stuck in LAX for 11 hour layover with a 75 lb dog and a 2 yr old..A man came along with 2 small snappy poodles and all hell breaks loose... I had to hold down a luggage buggy with a screaming 2 yr old and a dog trying to get to the snappy poodles when the cart turned over..I was VERY THankful for the man who helped me out and still am to this day..My dog was very nice but had been crated along time and was going to a relief area for dogs..Just a big mess that was..:) PAM

no offense Pam but that it is your problem if you decide to carry so much stuff with you. No one should impose themselves on others by expecting to be helped.

Give them a hand? tell that to the people who have found themselves in hot water for helping others with their bags.

what is the first thing they ask you when you check bags in? you should not let other people touch your bags or hold them. How about "can you please watch my bag while I go to the restroom?"

you might think it cannot happen to you but it can. bottom line, if someone decides to bring more than they can handle..that's their problem.

as far as people watching..yes yu can do that but as Larry mentioned...how hard is it to do the simplest task. I have traveled internationally and only see this going to DR.

Last edited:

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: This is what I mean when I say...

goatfarmnga said:
PAM

Pam, chaos is not entertaining. It is a simple task, board the plane, find your sit, relax and be courteous to your fellow passengers. That does not happen in these particular flights to the DR.

I know what you're trying to say, "soak up the experience" etc. but if you travel 4-5 times a year to the DR, this type of behaviour gets on your nerves.