Ferry to Puerto Rico

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Anybody knows anything about trips to Puerto Rico. Costs, how often, time on the boat etc.

The more info the better. Thx in advance.

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
Ferry to PR...

Wow I had no idea they had such a Ferry, Great info that will give me more exploring options! THanks! :) PAM.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
PJT, very helpful info..... but how long does the trip take; and, on one of the web sites, the prices are marked in $, but is that US or something else?

Thanks and best, P

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The price is in US$. The trip time from S.D. reported by other posters (search archives) is from boarding at 4 pm to disembarking at 11 am. If you don't like sleeping on the deck, opt for a cabin. Regards, PJT

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Well noted.... with thanks. That might be a cost effective alternative for me since I have military flight options to PR.

Best, P

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Has anyone made the trip?

A local travel agent from Sto Dgo told me she wouldn't sell it any more, for getting too many complaints about "too many dominicans crowding the deck and behaving like dominicans...."

Whatever she meant with this, I'll leave to your imagination.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
gerd said:
Has anyone made the trip?

A local travel agent from Sto Dgo told me she wouldn't sell it any more, for getting too many complaints about "too many dominicans crowding the deck and behaving like dominicans...."

Whatever she meant with this, I'll leave to your imagination.

Guess, this travel agent has made enough money already and is not interested in getting a commission on ticket sales, ...or the commission is not big enough to warrant sales. The excuse seems a little flimsy to me. There is some other reason. Regards, PJT

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Visa expired

My Visa has expired... I guess I have to pay the fee when I leave and get a new 3 months Visa when I return. Correct?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Prices high...

in comparison to flights. Less than US$ 150 for round trip from St:eek: Domingo...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I did take this "cruise", and would never do it again...I would definitely fly. We went to Santo Domingo and thought it would be fun to take this "cruise" to Mayaguez, PR (which is 2-3 hours from San Juan, btw). We decided to get there well in advance (4:00 PM) so we could get a cabin. When we got there, we were told the cabins were all sold out. We were also told that we had to buy a round-trip ticket, which is BS, because we are Canadian citizens and this requirement does not apply to us. We argued with them, and finally got a manager out and were able to purchase a one-way (we weren't sure how long we were going to travel PR). Then we were told to go through into Immigration (we had no idea that once through Immigration, there was no other choice than to board, even though it was only about 4:30 PM, and the "cruise" didn't leave until 8). Drinks and meals are quite expensive, and we found the food to be terrible. Since we couldn't get a cabin, we had to sleep on the deck with all our luggage and everything else...needless to say, we didn't sleep at all. The one good thing I could mention was the live entertainment in the lounge. They had a Dominican band playing, and the music was quite good.

We finally arrived in Mayaguez the next morning at 11:00 AM. Needless to say, after being on this ship since 4:30 the day before without any sleep, we were a little less than impressed. Maybe someone not quite as spoiled as me would enjoy it, but this was my experience. I would definitely fly the next time.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
If anybody should feel inclined to take a trip on this ship in spite of all the negative feedback, please do consider for a minute the 157 people that perished onboard it while sailing from Oslo, Norway to Frederikshavn, Denmark in April 1990. Then under the name of Scandinavian Star. Arson, probably due to an insurance fraud scheme, caused it. Next to my parents' grave there is another grave with 7 victims from the fire buried in it, all from a single family.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Terrible.....

Paulino said:
....please do consider for a minute the 157 people that perished onboard it
but yet another factor to consider. I'm somewhat confused [easily done these days]....are there two ferry lines as I surmised from quick look at the web sites, or just one with a single ferry plying the route?

I'm sure there are flights between PR and DR [though since so many PR women prefer Dominican men space may be at a premium]...anyone know frequency and cost?

Thanks and best, P

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
AA flies, or at least they used to, you'll have to check out their website. I think in 2000, the cost was $129 US...not sure about now...well worth it, as far as I'm concerned! Especially considering at the time that I went, the ferry cost $65 US, plus the cost of a cabin would've been $60 US...almost cheaper to fly. Factor in the cost of your transportation from Mayaguez to SJ, and it's easily cheaper to fly!