US Military Resources

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
US Military Resources in D.R?

As a retired US Navy person, I wonder if there are any U.S. government resources on the island beyond the U.S. Embassy?

Are there any military properties at all on the island? I will be utilizing my G.I. bill through telecommuting, but wonder if there were any other benefits accessible within the confines of D.R.? Might be the closest shopping or veteran administration resource is Puerto Rico.

Anyone in the know?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Puerto Rico is your best bet. Closest medical services available at Mayaguez, on west coast of PR. Will need to go to east coast to Roosevelt Roads for the PX.

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
Puerto Rico or Cuba?

Which do you think is closer, easier for a retired person to get to: Getmo Bay Cuba or Roosevelt Roads, P.R.?

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Re: Puerto Rico or Cuba?

wtf2001 said:
Which do you think is closer, easier for a retired person to get to: Getmo Bay Cuba or Roosevelt Roads, P.R.?
Don't think Guantanamo Bay lets casuals or Space A...... , active or retired, drop in, but not 100% certain of that. You can check it out on the net at one of the many Space A sites. Let me know if you can't come up with one.

Somebody has a thread going on the ferry between DR and PR, which might be an option if you're hauling a lot of stuff. Buy a cheap car in PR off some Navy rotator and take it on the ferry to DR? Think one of the ferry sites quoted $150 1-way.

I wouldn't expect the US Embassy to welcome a retiree with open arms....though I've seen a few that were pretty good about it. If you're in the Capital, cozy up to some of them and see what develops.

Best, P

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Nope, no Guantanamo Bay Joy

P:ulled this off the web..... and it pretty much speaks for itself:
U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay
PSC 1005, Box 53
FPO AE 09593-0100

Front Desk: (dialing from the U.S) 011-53-99-2400
Fax: (dialing from the U.S) 011-53-99-2401
DSN prefix: 723

Note: All personnel not assigned must have the permission of the Commander to visit U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay

You'd have more of a chance visiting Diego Garcia than Guantanamo [especially now] and to my uncertain knowledge no retiree has ever stepped foot on DG unless on official orders.

Sorry, P

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola wtf2001!!!!!!!!!

I'm an Ex- BubbleHead Nuke, I think you know that already.

What is cool, You can travel to Cuba from here, and go back to the U.S. from here. No hassels!!!!!!!!
Just need to bring U.S. Green Backs!!!!!

Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

wtf2001

Aug 22, 2003
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the info all,

Hey Timex, I was a bubble head also. Not a hard-hat, but second class dive for the Marines x 5 years. Good to make the acqaintance.

:)
Gary

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
DAMN...are you sure?

symister said:
Roosevelt Roads is about to close along with vieques
A closing is always a good time to pick up on cheap cars, furniture, etc. When might this happen?

Best, P

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Roosevelt Roads Gov't Property Auction

Got to looking..... at some possibilities to pick up things on the very cheap over at Navy Base in PR. The site below will take you to the property liquidation site [cursor down to PR, Roosevelt Roads, then "view lots"]. Something in there for everyone, and you don't have to be a US citizen or anything to bid/buy.

Granted some of the material won't be in good shape [that's why it's best to inspect before bidding], but at a penny on the US tax payer dollar [I once bought a $250K, brand new metal former in Rota, Spain, for $25K] it often pays off big time. Take a look at the food service vans [put the hot dog vendors out of business in Sousa] for example.

But just as interesting would be the PX bulletin boards at RR [and Fort Buchanan?].....people assigned there are going to be selling everything but their underwear.

In the long run, something's going to happen to the capital property [buildings, etc] and if Panama is any example, military base housing are going to be a very good buy....unless the PR politicians screw it up.

Best, P

http://www.govliquidation.com/locations/puerto_rico.html