US Bank account in Puerto Rico

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Can i as a European (EU member) open a US bank account in Puerto Rico? Anybody that has done it?

I need a Visa-card, access through Internet.

Thx in advance.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Quite Iikely, the bank account

With proper ID and such a bank account in a PR bank should be easy. I doubt as a non-resident they will give yo ua Visa card, that typically isn't the case. I guess you could try to find a place that would issue one secured with a deposit.

If you live in the EU, can't you get a EU bank-based Visa card with Internet banking?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
I have an european account but in some cases it is easier with a US account. So BP offers offshore accounts? I hope there is no connection with the RD BP...

I said Visa Card... an ATM-card works fine.

So no problem you think...I go to Puerto Rico for a couple of days...open an account with Internet banking and an ATM-card?

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
Dr Mpe, I'm "eupean" too :), and I was in PR recently , nice county and nice ppl but was impossible to open an account, it seems the new regulations are very tight, it is impossible without a US SS number , a couple of banks, the popular and Santander (branch of a spain bank) offered a "special" account for non-residents, but very restricted and really usseles unless you want to tranfer big amounts of money to PR for investing purposes.

I also contacted with the internet bank in delaware I think Scott sugested us in another thread and they told me that due to the new regulations it cannot be done for now, suposedly a new regulation is on the way.

regards

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
New laws post 9-11

ERICKXSON said:
I have a sugestion try this 2 banks www.netbank.com and www.etrade.com i think you'll find what you are looking for etrade will open a account without a Social Security Nunmber since you don't live in the US.

If you don't have Social Security number, you can no longer open a checking of savings account.

As a foreinger, you can only open a CD account. I had this confirmed with E-trade.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
well if USA dont want our money... lets send it to europe :) , I wondered why the euro is so strong while germany and france going downhill...

regards