Mixed Reviews Of Jack Tar Village

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Well after receiving a call from our travel agent who informed us that we would not be able to stay at RIU Merengue, he assured us that Jack Tar Village would be a nice substitute.

However, after reading several reviews I have very mixed opinions of this. Many of the 2003 reviews that I have read indicated that the hotel had recently been renovated, however these reviews indicated outdated fixtures, broken furniture etc.

If this hotel has been recently renovated, if so when? Many of these negative reviews were from Jan, Feb, Mar of 2003.

I also understand that this is one of several in the Playa Dorada Complex...does anyone have an idea which of these would be considered, "the pick of the litter" or should I not be worried about staying at Jack Tar.

change your t/a

Anyone who would tell you the Jack Tar is a good substitute for Riu Merengue needs to be in an asylum, really, no comparison, JT is getting old and well worn. Updated yes a little paint goes a long ways, but it is still in need of a major retrofit.

When Meregue is not available try the Bachata or Mambu, else hit a Riu in PUJ.

I just book the Mambu, no probs, for Jan. 2004

I still would check with another agent.

Give me your dates and departure point I will post or email you what I find online.

S

Stephen

There are also two others............

The Iberostar Costa Dorada and the Coral Marien are two newer hotels (2-3 years) near the Playa Dorado complex of hotels. They would also be equal to the Rio's (mambo, bachata, and merengue). I'd stay out of the Playa Dorado complex!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I think I said in another post on this subject

Yes the Jack Tar is the oldest there. And it is NOT the RIU. However, the service staff are excellent.

the Ibero Star is outstanding and my son swears it is the best on the North Coast.

No matter where you go you will be well treated.
And have a blast..

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Becky,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Pretty much what I told you in my e-mail, right.

However, another opinion is always good to get.

Gregg

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Thanks Guys!

Well, I made the travel agent call the hotel. Apparently they just comepleted (within the last month or so) a major rennovation. Apparently to bring it up to the "standard" of the Occidental. What that means...I'm not sure.

If it is clean, neat, good food and good people...those are the big priorities. Budget for us is a problem.....getting tee times another, I have sent a number of emails to Playa Dorada without a reply. Discouraging to say the least. But, it sounds like Hillbilly will give us a hand with this one.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't sweat tee-times!!

They are never (seldom ever) a problem. When you get there, walk over to the Pro shop and make your times. Email BushBaby for recommendations on caddies, he knows them all.

And of course, if i may be of service...

HB

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Becky,

Check with Phil (I gave you his e-mail address), he was at Jack Tar 10 days ago and has stayed there a number of times. Ask him if there are any renovations.

Gregg

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Will Do...

I did send Phil a note....he has replied and even provided some "inside information" and is sure that he can get us a free upgrade.

I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'd like to hear about that!

How can you "upgrade" an all-inclusive?? All the cabins are the same, and the dining area is the same. Pretty, pretty please let us know what this means??

HB

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Upgrade, but changed venue anyway

In Phil's note to me, he had mentioned a woman in the reservations department that would make sure that we got an upgrade to the room.

But....after careful consideration, a call to the travel agent, we will now move to the Grand Flameco with the CMA upgrade. I read a number of reviews and they were overall positive. Good enough for me. Hubby and I are really not that fussy, it's more of looking out for the others in our group who have never been to the D.R. before.

We should be okay, besides, I will be doing some "advanced" planning for the others in our group so that everyone's expectations are where they should be, and not too high. A mistake made by many and they just end up disappointed.

Some who visit the area have preconceived notions and expect to have the local people "conform" to the American sellfish attitude. None in our group are like this...thank goodness.

Dec 9, 2002
Re: I'd like to hear about that!

Hillbilly said:
How can you "upgrade" an all-inclusive?? All the cabins are the same, and the dining area is the same. Pretty, pretty please let us know what this means??

HB
Probably means to a room with a sea view perhaps, or a suite (rather than just a room) if the hotel has them.

bbforbis

Oct 3, 2003
Exactly

That's what motivated the change to the Grande Flameco. I was just going by what Phil had told me. He and his wife just returned from Jack Tar (thir 8th visit to this resort).

In any event....will stick with the Flameco with the CMA upgrade.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Good choice on the Flamenco, my first trip to the DR I was on a fam trip with a group of travel agents and we viewed every hotel in the complex as well as right in PP and Cofresi. At that time Jack Tar was questionable, the rooms were very sparse and it just didn't appeal to many of us. Flamenco fed us a fantastic lunch and the rooms were very well decorated, over all good feeling about the hotel.
Enjoy your stay !
marliejaneca