surf trip to domrep

dominik

Oct 5, 2003
hi out there,

we plan to make a short surf trip in jan 04 to DomRep.

Heard that cabarete area is full of waves?

Any other waverich regions on the north/east coast?

Where do I find decent accomodation coast? Any secret and remote place ?

- we don't want to do the all-inclusive-thing
- no discos, bars, and package folks

muchas gracias!

dominik

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
Sufrs up!

The north coast offers the best waves in DR but you will definitely find waves if you go south, east or whatever. If you go south you can catch pretty good waves in Barahona, the beach is called "PATOS". Another option up north would be Rio San Juan, this place is incredible and you can find real cheap accomodations.

Surf in DR is very popular, there is even an organization that regulates everything. It is called ADOSURF. Once you get to DR be sure to ask, the local surfers will help u enjoy your trip at it's best.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
hi dominic,

Encuentro, located between Sosua and Cabarete, is the best surfing spot on the island. Also when there is swell, playa grande can be good as well (located about 45 minutes from Cabarete). There is also a good spot on the South Coast a few hours from Santo Domingo but I think lodging is spotty and not sure about the consistency.

For lodging right at Encuentro, I would do a search on Coconut Palms or Hideaway which are close to Encuentro. However, you might also want to check out Ali's Surf Camp www.cabaretesurfcamp.com in Cabarete. It is located behind the main street of Cabarete in "pro Cab" and has many different lodging options from hostel type huts, to simple individual bungalows to nice apts with fully equipped kitchenettes. The atmosphere is casual and the restaurant is a local favorite.

najera

Dec 28, 2002
south coast surf

Marina,
Where is the good surf spot s few hours from the capital?
I will be living in paraiso. Anywhere near there?
thanks
N

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
najera, the best way to contact marina is to click on the email button under her post and send an email to her.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
i only kitesurf so I'll have to check with some friends and get back to you re: surfing by Santo Domingo. However, I believe the place is up the coast from Baharona....