Cost of cellphone service in the DR?

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Good people

I am considering moving to the DR to live and work (north coast area). I will continue to work with clients in the U.S. and telecommute via internet. However, I will need a telephone. Perhaps a cell phone might work better than a land line with all the problems I hear about in the DR. Is the cell phone service reliable? How much does it cost per month service charge and how much per minute for usage (local and to the U.S. or Italy) incoming and outgoing? Are there monthly programs as exist in the U.S. or does one company dominate the market and pretty much have you by the cojones? Also, should I purchase a cell phone here in the U.S. before coming down? Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ron

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
OK!!!!!

I live in Barrio China, Haina
Dependability of services....

PHONE, LAND LINE... 100% AS LONG AS THE BILL IS PAID!!!!!!!!!!!!
HIGH SPEED INTERNET.... ADSL 100%. SAME AS ABOVE.
ELECTRIC, CRAP, CRAP & MORE CRAP( THANK GOD FOR THE INVERSOR!!!!).
WATER, THE WORSE!!!!!!!

Monthly cost's
Phone + long distance block+ high speed Internet. $2500.00
Electric. $ 800.00
Water+garbage, $ 200.00
Cable $ 175.00

those prices are in PESO"S.
33 peso's to 1 U.S dollar right now!!!!
Which means I pay $ 111.30 U.S. dollars for monthly basics right now!!!!!

Any body that say's no-way, I will be HAPPY, to scan the receipts and post them!!!!

I am, a 10 min, drive from the Capital!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Tim H:cool:

Last edited:

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Thank you Timex for the information. Since I wil probably be locating in the area of Puerto Plata or Sosua how does the service and cost compare? Also, does anyone have information on cell phones, the monthly service charge, etc.? And the cost per minute for incoming and outgoing calls within the DR and long distance international calls to the U.S. and Italy? Thanks again.

Ron

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: OK!!!!!

Timex said:
I am, a 10 min, drive from the Capital!
Geez, Tim! You say that like it's a good thing! Say "hola" to Hippolito for me.

Here on the North Coast (better known as Petticoat Junction to the locals) service is spotty. In town, generally OK. But it really depends on where you are and you need to check out internet and telephone reliability thoroughly before you locate or you may be sorry.

My Orange (France Telecom) cellular costs 3 pesos/minute to other Orange phones, and 5 pesos/minute to the U.S.A. or Europe. We have no land lines. Works very well, but being a French phone it tends to surrender the line - just by force-of-habit I guess - anytime another call is coming in. :: wink ::

Satellite internet is also available, ask Chris on this board.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Go Vikings! 5-0 Baby!

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I saw that but, I don't buy it.

We've had Orange phones for everyone here for years and have had good service.

When you buy a card, or get a code through an ATM machine, you dial *222, wait for the tone and enter the 14-digit number. At that point you will hear a message that tells you exactly how many pesos you have available both with and without taxes.

Some people do get confused about exactly how many pesos they get with a 100 peso card though. That 100 pesos includes about 22 pesos that get paid to His Baldness. So typically you get 75-80 pesos of usable time from a 100 peso card.

Tom (aka XR)

Moniki

Oct 6, 2003
Are there any other cell companies, like Sprint or AT&T, that might have better rates either prepaid or the monthly paid services?

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
I am assuming that the Orange card is for cell phone use only. And are there charges for both incoming and outgoing calls? Also, is it advisable to buy my cell phone here in the U.S.? Thanks

Ron

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
hi,

I'm just saying that when I purchase a 100 pesos cards, I do ONE call and it cuts at 10:50 minutes, It happened to me two times: o credits, enter a 100 pesos card, and talking only 10:50 in the first call.

In the ads orange says: 5 p/min , and I cant see that. as I said in the other post if you do multiple call then be prepared for less duration even.

and I'm not confused about the taxes, 75 pesos / 5 = 15 mins, not 10:50

I only telling that I fell scammed , If they say 5 p/min I expect to pay exactly 5 p/min, or 5 + taxes p/min, may be other companies offer what they promise.

thanks
regards

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ronks said:
I am assuming that the Orange card is for cell phone use only. And are there charges for both incoming and outgoing calls? Also, is it advisable to buy my cell phone here in the U.S.? Thanks

Ron
T-mobile phones work with Orange and Sprint work with Codetel. Others wont work for you here in the DR. I have had both and now use Orange only since it is inexpensive to call the states.

If you use the prepaid cards I always buy the 275 peso card because they give you a 25 peso bonus.

Hope this helps.

Scott

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Moniki said:
Are there any other cell companies, like Sprint or AT&T, that might have better rates either prepaid or the monthly paid services?
Everybody likes different things, they're all basically the same as far as I am concerned. But I do not like Codetel as a company as a general rule and don't like giving them my money for their snarly service. For our purposes, at our location, Orange has much better coverage. Plus we use their messaging feature all the time. Costs next to nothing, as I can do 100's of messages on a 100 peso card. That's why I have the same brand phones for everyone.

Orange, just like the rest, can set you up with a billing plan. Don't do it. Well, depends on how patient you are I guess. Paying bills here is a big hassle. Alba got an Orange phone once on contract. She always ran out of minutes before the month was up and they wouldn't add more, or let her buy more than the contract, so her phone would be dead and worthless the rest of the month. One time I waited in a hot car at the bank for 55 minutes, just for her to pay her little 300 peso bill. Every month, same hassle trying to pay. It's so much easier just buying the cards. I was really happy when that phone was lost let me tell you!

We don't have the time problem with Orange, we get what we pay for. They deliver for us what they promise. Some companies include taxes in their pricing others don't. You just have to pay attention. Phone companies here are just as devious and universally hated as in every other country in the world I have ever been in.

Tom (aka XR)

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I have French....

XanaduRanch said:
My Orange (France Telecom) cellular costs 3 pesos/minute to other Orange phones, and 5 pesos/minute to the U.S.A. or Europe.
Orange telephone number [on prepaid card] and a TMobile GSM. Are you saying that that'll work in DR?

Or do I have to buy a Orange number for the DR and put the chip in as usual?

Thanks and best, P

UP_time

Aug 16, 2003
I brought a phone over from Miami .. Nokia 5170.. and used it with Orange.
I had to buy a new SIM chip and (maybe) they had to reprogram.
I can also verify that the quality of long distance phone calls made thru Orange sound GREAT!