ORANGE cel phones: scammers

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
hi,

I recently purchased a cel with orange card, it suposedly cost around 5 p/min, but I realized that a 100 pesos card last 10:50 minutes, thats almost 10 p/min

if you plan to purchase one you should know this :)

regards

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I don't think so.

We've had Orange phones for everyone here for years and have had good service. The rates have always worked out to be exactly as stated.

There are some things that must be understood however:
  • The face value of the card is not the amount of talk time you're buying. It's the cost of the card. That's because 22% of the cost is paid in taxes to El Buro. So a 100 peso card gets you maybe 78 pesos of usable time.
  • Orange rounds it's charges up to the next minute. If your call lasts 1 minute and 2 seconds, you will be charged for a full two minutes.
  • It's 3 Pesos per minute to other Orange phones. But it's 5 pesos per minute to the U.S.A. and to any other D.R. phone number.
The way the system is set up it's not possible really for someone to scam you in the way you described. And Orange, the company, certainly isn't shaving minutes off your phone card purchase.

Tom (aka XR)

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
The only problem we've had that could be construed as "scammed" but wasn't is when a card quits working before minutes are up, or the card doesn't work at all.

Both times we've taken it back to Orange and they've corrected it - with no problem.

Also, the calls we make internationally are clear, with no static. It's like talking to someone next door.

We're satisfied customers.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
this is not a thinking, this is empiric

hi Xanaduranch

when I purchased the cel, they told me 5 pesos/min, in the orange cards ads they say 5 pesos/min,

and a 100 pesos cards last 10:50 minutes, I'm not talking about multiple calls, only 1 call of 10:50. Of course if we do multiple calls the card will last... 4 or 5 mins? in the worst case it can last 11 calls of 10 second each.

regards

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Well, all I can say is I'd get it checked out because ours all work fine, and give us much more time than that.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
I agree with Jan about the quality. We've used Codetel (often service is down), Tricom, Centennial previously. Orange for us anyway has by far the best service, quality of signal, and price.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I haven't had the problems you experience. I buy the 275 peso card and I think you get the tax as a bonus when you do this. I just got a 212 minute bonus for being a customer for 1 year. How cool is that?