For people knowledgeable of the Capital area

Mr Mafioso

Oct 5, 2003
hello dr1, I am comtemplating retirement in santo dominigo because of easy access to goods, services, culture ect....
however, I would like to live in an area where I'm away from city traffic, noise, loud bachata, tigueres, and all sorts of annoyances that would bother my peace. Basically I am looking for a house that has plenty of land where I could have a large garden and trees as well as a large pool, lots of privacy and quiet is very important because I dont like to have neighbors close to my house. Is this kind of house available in the capital area, or am I better off just buying land outside the city and building my own house????

oh by the way, the price is not an issue. I am willing to spend what ever it takes as long as I can get a very private residence where i could feel like i'm in the campo, but that is still close to the city.

Apr 26, 2002
Try the heights above Cambita Garabito (suburban San Cristobal). If it's good enough for President Hippo to build one of his mansions, it's good enough for you other "Mafiosos".

Birds of a feather flock together.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have "Re-Max" and "Century 21" here too!

What you describe is "almost" impossible! Chickens,dogs,ans "Motores" are just about everywhere.
I "HAD" a quiet house above the Zoo in Arroyo Hondo.The Zoo land was "Taken Over" by "Bisono Construction" and he is building about 300 units of four story "Chopo Towers" in what was once "Jungle!" You can't win! Why the DR? If you have unlimited resources move near "Tony C" in Miami! If you need to get out of the US,try "Grand Caymen"!

CCCCCCCCcccris Colon

Mr Mafioso

Oct 5, 2003
I know there are noisy people all over, and I dont mind that at all because that is the ambiente over there. I really like the party scene of the country, but it's just that I prefer to be tranquil and away from all the noise when I go home to relax. I thought I could get this kind of place at Arroyo Hondo since I've learned that it's supposed to be the best neighborhood in SD. but now I'm having second thoughts because of what Criss Colon wrote on that area. I might check the San Cristobal area that was suggested by a poster here to see if I like it there. About the birds of the same feather comment, I'll say that I used to despise him and be mad at him for the way he's administration is messing up a country with so much potential, but then some Dominican PRDistas have told me that they would vote PRD again in the next elections even though they know they are doing a bad job!
So, do I think Hippo is stupid?....no way. he's a lot smarter than what many people think. they might call him "burro" or whatever without realizing that he amused the Dominican people with his funny ways but HE is the man in power in DR now. It takesbrains to do that, or at least you have to be smarter than your constituents to get them to vote for you with "payasadas" that make them laugh,and still keep those people loyal to you even though you messing up are robbing them blind. I don't think that Hippo or anyone for the PRD should be president ever again, but that is up to the dominican voters. I hope they're smarter than that and vote for change. DR politics is very interesting and amusing, but that is a whole other(very debateable) than my original question. Again, I wanna have a house surrounded by a large enough land property, that I wont hear the noise of "motores", dogs, Dominicans, or any other animals from my private house. I want the closest neighbor to be at a considerable distance from my house so that I dont have to hear the dogs, music or anything. I still think Hipolito is a funny character. :cool:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Give me a call when you get here.

I can show you some areas of Arroyo Hondo where the "Trash" can not move in!Unfortunately,Pena Gomez' "Foundation"( his son
's way to keep on stealing!)) bought a house in my area,(Luckily around the corner) and they are low class pigs,who leave junk vehicles,and garbage in the street in front of the house!!!! Must be his "Haitian" heritage!!!
Cris colon

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Maybe Los Cacicazgos is what you're looking for, even though Golo, who is one of the most knowledgeable and outspoken posters on this site, mentioned that the People Pasando Hambre(PPH) faction of the PRD is ruining the area with their SUVs...............the houses are huge and neighborhoods are kept very clean, though, because it was a planned community, the first one in the DR......

If money is no object just get an apartment on Anacaona Avenue, which is the Dominican version of Brickell Avenue in Miami, minus the banks and hotels. The views are great, the apartments are top-notch, can't get much better than that. CColon said that it got really messed up around his house near the zoo, can't argue that. I remember when Jacobo Majluta used to live on the same avenue and the streets were kept clean until he died. After that, developers took over and just jacked it all up. You can always move to Cuesta Hermosa III right down the road from Criss Colon. Some really big houses down that way but it's all hills around there. There's lots of places to go to. You just have to actually go and look for yourself for a few weeks or months, it removes any doubts from your head and helps you make a better decision than if you were just asking on the website and moving down there.