Be Leery of Translation Company in Sosua & AVOID Savings Car Rental

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
AVOID Savings Car Rental

Hi everyone! First off, thanks everyone for their help in getting me to the DR. I decided to leave, and have been back in the states since Saturday. It's cold...but it's home.

I had a terrible experience with Savings Car Rental out of Puerto Plata. I rented a car to get from Sosua to Santo Domingo, and picked it up at the airport, and wanted to drop it off at the airport in Santo Domingo.

I received a beat up Toyota Corolla that seemed to run just fine...drove it around for a few days before heading to Santo Domingo to catch my flight home...

By Santiago, it started to hesitate and act strange. When I got to the Airport in Santiago (barely) I asked for a different car, as I didn't trust it to make it to Santo Domingo. "We rented out our last car 20 minutes ago and all I have is a more expensive Jeep." "Bull*hit!" I replied. I called the manager on her cell phone at home. They offered a different car, with a driver...no, they were going to have an employee drive us to the airport is what they were really up to...which totally undermined me paying for a car RENTAL. They finally "fixed" the car...they knew right where to look...the battery cable was loose...away I went.

It started again in Santo Domingo. I dropped it at the airport, after being assured they had an office there. Bull*hit again! I dropped it in a short term lot and went to a motel, as my flight left at 7:00 a.m. The car was crap, they tried to nickel and dime me at every turn...and a Puerto Rican had a TERRIBLE experience with them as well...that left him stranded on the side of the road for 4 hours and charged for an exploded tire, the tire change, another car!!!

Avoid them at all costs. The woman at the Puerto Plata office is a very dishonest woman, and they run a very dishonest business.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Be Leery of Translation Company in Sosua

I worked for a translation and localization company in Sosua for 30 days. Some people have worked there for long periods of time...The company is filled with some VERY good people, but the management itself is a bit lacking in several areas.

-You will get no work permit
-No, they don't pay for your first month of lodging as stated in your offer. They pay for it and then deduct it from your first paycheck.
-They do not withhold taxes (US or Dominican)
-They claim to be headquarted in California
-None of their printed or web materials (that I have seen) bear the necessary business licensing information
-They will most likely offer you a job, rescind, and then offer again without a contract. Even if you insist on a contract, your "contract" will include a 30 day trial at a lower salary. Many employees continue working on the provisions of the original trial contract without the promised pay raise or other protections that come with a permanent contract
-The management will take advantage of you at every turn. When you stand up, you find yourself out the door.

I don't know if it is proper to mention the name of the company directly. If anyone is considering taking any job with a translation company located in Sosua, feel free to message me on this forum. If you are desperate for a job, it may be right for you. If you can find a job cleaning floors in your home country, take it.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As we always say, stick with one of the big agencies, National, Hertz, Avis etc.

I have heard way too many horror stories from people using small rental agencies.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Translation Company Thread Closed???

I find it strange that my thread regarding a translation company in Sosua was immediately closed.

I trust this forum is intended to allow people to share information and experiences to help others make educated decisions when considering visiting or moving to the Dominican Republic, as the board covers most all things dominican.

Any insight as to why the thread was closed?

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
well then...

Well, the work permit is offered to everyone there, and then not given once they arrive.

The tax ID information required by dominican law is required for those europeans wanting to get unemployment or keep health insurance after returning.

Lots of people do searches on that company, and many employees still there are getting scared of what the company is doing.

I think it is fair to post the "facts" instead of a "my boss was a jerk".

It happened to my roommate as well...2 people different jobs in the same company. It is not just one person's story. Search the archives, as you always say. And there are 2 translation companies in Sosua, and a third run by a small group of people.

I personally would have liked to have been able to find more information on the company before accepting a position. After the horror stories from other employees, I would not have accepted a position. If we can post "I had a terrible experience at a car rental agency" or "I got sick at a certain restaurant" then I think we should be able to post on an employer as long as there is no information that is so subjective, like "my boss couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag." That adds no value...but comments on HOW they do business with their employees in general is very valuable when making a move across the world to pursue employment.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, at least the original thread still exists and wasn't deleted -- that way it can serve as a warning to others. I for one would have questioned an outright deletion by the moderator -- it would have appeared too much like a conflict of interest, since the company in question currently has a classified ad with DR1. Closure is ok to prevent people simply jumping on the bandwagon...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I had some thoughts about your post also. Not being involved and just reading between the lines.

You start off by saying there are a lot of people that have been there a long time that are good people and go on to say about you being fired after 30 days? Made me wonder.

Also, in addition, there is NO LICENSING to do business in the DR. Just so you know.

The Gunshots were total bullshit also but hey you have a right to post what you think and YOU did.

Scott

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Oh...I wasn't Fired.

I wasn't fired. I never said I was. 30 days was the end of my trial period. At the end of the trial period, I walked away from what could have been a disaster, at the dismay of other employees. There are good people that have been there for some time. When I say some time...there are a few that have been there over a year, and those "long-timers" are not in production. Having much work experience behind me, I wasn't interested in destroying my career just because it was fine for Dominicans.

Working with and being friends with are two different things. I can like someone personally, and not stand them in a working environment.

No, you don't need a license, but according to other posts:

Re: Illegal companies?
There a couple of easy ways to find out if the company is operating within the law. First, ask for the company "RNC" number (tax number). Every operating company should have one. By law they should have it on all receipts and even the stationery. Second, assuming the salary offered is more than RD$8,600 pesos month, have they talked to you about withholding taxes? Withholding is mandatory above that salary level.

Work permit? No, not everyone needs one. But those of us who want rights to our benefits upon return to our home country need to work within the letter of the law.

Over and out. I'm not posting about them anymore. There is no personal vendetta, as I wasn't fired. It was on my terms!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
cmilliman said:
Work permit? No, not everyone needs one. But those of us who want rights to our benefits upon return to our home country need to work within the letter of the law.

Over and out. I'm not posting about them anymore. There is no personal vendetta, as I wasn't fired. It was on my terms!

When I read your original post about the translation company, I could see why you wouldn't make it in the Dominican Republic. You like the i's dotted and the t's crossed, and that doesn't always happen in the DR. This is not said as criticism of you, just an observation as to why it was best for you to return to the DR.

Right or wrong, time schedules are not honored by many Dominicans and rules are often bent by employers, residents, officials. That is just the way it is, and it is one of the realities that one must adjust to if they want to live here for an extended period.

You found you couldn't live with that and made a wise decision. You have gotten compliments for trying life here, finding it wasn't for you, and returning to where you fit in better.

Don't jeopardize the good feeling that you gained from your original post by continuing to attack those you felt did you wrong. We already know that you decided you didn't belong here, and the reasons why. And we agree with your assessment.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola cmilliman!!!!

Like, Keith R said.....
Well, at least the original thread still exists and wasn't deleted -- that way it can serve as a warning to others.

We don't need to start the Band Wagon here.:cool:

But as the Thread stands, I will be adding it to the....
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

Under the heading of...
DANGER AHEAD
Along with some others there.

I am locking it, and more of the same will be deleated.

Thanks
Tim H.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.