Just another newbie.......

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
.....With the same redundant questions. Well, i hope not. I've been trying to use the search feature to get most of them answered but figured it's finally time to test you guys out!

First, I want to say that i admire what y'all have goin here. From an outsiders perspective you guys seem like a big family :)
And your patience with people like me who drift in and out asking the same questions over and over... i'm very impressed. I've been reading the forum for about a week now.Usually i would bite my toungue longer but because of my situation here in the states (NJ) i may be having to make a decision very soon

Ok, here goes. A few questions (They all would be referring to the North Coast towns. If i need to be more specific let me know):

1. What are Fish prices like down there, and seafoood in general, i.e. Lobster, Shrimp, clams, etc.
2. How are the Sea Urchins? As far as eating i mean. Any of you guys eat urchins?
3.How much is a 1/2 lb./500gr. pack of Italian pasta
3. How much can i get a hammock for :)

I'm looking to come down there hypothetically in November and stay a while to feel things out.Depending on how i like it im thinking anywhere from a couple months to a year. My cousin may be coming with me and we will be looking for simple accommodations. I get a great amount of satisfaction from the "simple" things in life and am not fussy. As long as i can cook (and gather if possible) my own food (unless i'm invited to eat somewhere to which i'd happily accept), and live off the land, spend time on the beach, maybe do a little fishing, have a presidente, and lay in my newly bought hammock(of course a nice worn in one would probably be better), i am good. Nothing fancy. I dont mind if i dont have electricity 24 hours a day, no hot water doesnt matter to me, nice furnishings or what have you don't matter. I'm only picky about the place being clean.And it must be pretty cheap. 5-12,000RD a month

If any of you have or know about any such accommodations i would be greatly appreciative. It would have to be 2 bedroom or one as long as there is 2 beds. I'd also be open to sharing a place with a roommate. As far as location, this being my first visit , i'm open to any of the places on the North Coast. I would prefer if its somewhat in the country, not too far from the beach (walking distance if possible) and also walking distance from a town where i can get groceries and essentials. Am I being to picky?

Among other things, I lived and worked as a cook in the south of Italy (RC,Calabria) and here in the NJ in a Latin Caribbean restaurant owned by my good friend, a Dominican. I am looking for some new experiences and some adventure and have been wanting to visit someplace tropical for a while now so i think i'll take the plunge and visit DR. My cousin makes music and will probably join me on my journey.

I've read about the work situation there and have already gotten it into my head that i shouldn't expect anything and even if i do get it that i won't support myself on that income probably. Just in case i have to though, a backup is not a bad idea. I can at least use it in combination with my savings here if that becomes necessary. So, if theres anybody who knows about anyone looking for an Italian cook please let me know. I also speak pretty good Italian which could come in handy with the Italian tourists. My cousin apart from making music owned his own construction co. so he is familiar with most all sides of that business. With both of our experiences, and our savings, i'm hoping we'll be able to survive for a short term adventure.

Thanks so much for listening to me ramble, hope it wasn't too long. Any help/advice on my questions will be greatly appreciated!

Ciao!
el Saraceno

p.s.
C'e' qualche Italiano qui? Mi farebbe gran piacere a conoscervi! Mandami una email! Saluti !

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola el Saraceno!!!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 4,317, Threads: 24,789, Posts: 154,416

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

You should check this out!

Click on the link below.:cool:
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

If you want a the full scoop. Scroll down to ....
Moving to the DR.
On that page.

There are some linked stories of people who made the move.

Click below to see what my monthly costs are.

Monthly Costings.

That is now down to about $ 27,000. pesos @ month.

If you divide it by 33 Pesos to 1 U.S. dollar, that would be about $ 818. U.S.

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!
Click on the link below.:cool:

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Thanks Timex

I Checked that stuff out! :)

No biters on the seafood prices??............

Also, maybe somebody knows about someone who rents a sailboat to live on?

Thanks

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just asked yesterday at Pescayama (Plaza Nueva Orleans on Winston Churchill in Santo Domingo) and the pound of shrimp with heads goes for RD$165, fresh tuna for sushi sells for RD$75.

If you are a good chef, you shouldn't have a problem finding work. Would suggest you check out Cabarete that has lots of restaurants.

If you want to live in Santo Domingo (half an hour from Boca Chica), email me. I have a friend restaurant owner who might have an opening for a chef.

Regarding sailing... you could always ask at the Santo Domingo Yacht Club (Boca Chica)...

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Thanks a lot Dolores

Wow, that is pretty cheap, especially the Tuna.

I'll email you about the job.

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Thanks a lot Dolores

Wow, that is pretty cheap, especially the Tuna.

I'll email you about the job.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting

I have two Italian friends and they both have small restaurants. I am sure you can find work.

It seems to be a good plan...

HB

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Conchman, I never buy Lobster here in the states but i'm guessing that would be about half or 1/3d what it would cost here, which still isn't cheap but i guess not bad. Octopus must be really cheap though ? In the legal seasons how hard is it to catch a lobster or 2 for yourself? I understand they're not too plentiful anymore.

Thanks to everybody for your help! :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Your post reminds me of my son who went to Costa Rica for a few months (with a small loan from mom and dad). He ended up staying for 2 years, living with an Indian family, learnt to eat out of the rain forest and can feed you the most wonderful stuff during a walk in the forest. He swings a machete with the best of them and speaks Spanish like a native. An unforgettable experience for him.

Go for it. If you're adaptable, can roll with the punches and have modest needs, this is a great place. (Get a mosquito net with the hammock). Fresh seafood? I seldom buy seafood as I never trust the source. I wait till someone that I trust, brings in something. There is one place that I trust, an excellent seafood restaurant on Cabarete beach. We paid around 2000 pesos just recently for a wonderful meal of giant shrimp (camarones) for four, with all kinds of exoting drinks, salad and whatever else, and had a great time as well. We have on occasion bought black mussels, which I love, from the Playero supermercado in Sosua. About 120 pesos for 14 - 16 big ones.

There is always someone looking for a chef on Cabarete beach. The salary may be miserable, the accommodations poor and so on, but the vibe is great. And hey! you have something to eat. You may have to wait a while for something to open up, but usually it does.

el Saraceno

Oct 5, 2003
Dolores, 70 cents a pound for Pulpo, wow that is dirt cheap!

Chris, what your son did is right up my alley. I really would like to learn how to be mostly self sufficient. I can't say if i'll want to be like that my whole life, but it would at least be great to have learned and experienced it like your son. And adapting and rolling with the punches is me. That was my entire experience in South Italy. There it is like the DR in more ways than one. Perhaps one day i can do a comparison post if anyone is interested, with the cost of living(poor mans) over there and all too. Ciao!