Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cost of living in DR dichotomyt again

I'm a little confused about the apparent dichotomy of responses on this board about the cost of living in the DR. On one hand you have the constant refrain that "the DR is a more expensive place to live than the US", but on the other, a post will pop up saying (for example) my wife and I are considering moving to the DR. I have $30,000 a year income', and the response is "thats plenty".

Could someone please cast some illumination on this? My feeble little mind is inquiring.

Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Does housing have to come out of the $30,000?

You can live on the $30,000 but you will need to consider each decision carefully if it includes everything.

If you are thinking about Sosua, then think about Condos Dominicanos, at least as a place to start. It is good value, well managed, and within walking distance of everything in town, including the supermarkets.

Don't plan on having a car. No big deal. My wife and I have lived in the DR for 17 years without one. Public transportation will get you anyplace for a very low price. We are on a tight income ourselves and will be glad to share whatever knowledge we have.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-07-2003 at 06:04 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cost of living..

Read on a thread of Timex's yesterday that said he paid about $111 US$ for his cable, electricity, phone etc a month....Surely on $30,000 a year you could live EXTREMELY well but maybe not at the Sea horse ranch.. The thread was about the Orange Phone cards/cell phones I think Check with Timex..He lives near Santo Domingo I think it said.. PAM

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cost of living..

Originally posted by goatfarmnga
    Read on a thread of Timex's yesterday that said he paid about $111 US$ for his cable, electricity, phone etc a month....Surely on $30,000 a year you could live EXTREMELY well but maybe not at the Sea horse ranch...
    Edited by Tim H.

MikeKo, as I said in my earlier post, you and your wife can live on $30,000/year. But it will be essential that you feel your way during the early months while you are gaining knowledge about the true cost of living here. I would suggest starting off in a place like Condos Dominicanos, when you eat in restaurants go to places like La Roca, where they have a special menu for residents, and Rocky's Bar, use public transportation to get to neighboring towns, Santiago and Santo Domingo. Slowly but surely you will get a good idea of what you can do and not do on your income. But you are going to have to make choices.

Don't be put off by the thought you must be a rich man to live here, but don't come here thinking $30,000 is a fortune. To many Dominicans it would be, but you and your wife are undoubtedly accustomed to a different style of living.
    Last edited by Timex; 10-09-2003 at 12:38 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ken...

I told the guy to look at Timex's POST DID I SAY I LIVED THERE????

Edited by Tim H.

I found Timex's info about the cost of his utilities VERY interesting and thought this guy would too..

Read Timex's info yourself..

~*~*~*NOTE:SIMPLY INFO I FOUND AND AM PASSING IT ON..*~*~*~

Timex posted FACTS about what it costs him..Not generalizations..If most of the country can live there for FAR less than $30,000 a year..According to Timex's utilities..$30,000 would be a great deal to live on... PAM
    Last edited by Timex; 10-09-2003 at 12:40 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hola, MikeKO!!!!

You should check this out!

Click on the link below.
    Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

If you want a the full scoop. Scroll down to ....
    Moving to the DR.
    On that page.

There are some linked stories of people who made the move.

Click below to see what my monthly costs are.

Monthly Costings.

That is now down to about $ 27,000. pesos @ month.

If you divide it by 33 Pesos to 1 U.S. dollar, that would be about $ 818. U.S.

Thanks
    Tim H.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Tim!

I appreciate the break down of your expenses more than you know..I however am not that organized! Interesting to see how the dentist etc charge..Thank you! PAM

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

MikeKO, my wife and I have an income of about US$30,000, so we have some experience that might be of help to you. We are living better here than we would be in the US. That in itself is a good reason to consider living here.

As I indicated in my first post, you first need to identify those expenses that will come off the top. For example, are you continuing the health insurance you had in the US or planning to buy it here? If you are retiring here, keep in mind that health insurance sold in this country is not available for people 70 or older and all pre existing problems are excluded.

What about housing? Do you have funds to buy a house or an apartment over and above the $30,000? Or will your rent come out of that amount? What sort of housing do you want?

Where you choose to live will make some difference in living costs. Food, for example, where Tim lives in Santo Domingo is cheaper than it is in Sosua. (but we are happier here than we would be there for lots of reasons)

How frequently do you want to go back to the US to visit family? That can put a good hole in your budget; one of the reasons that I haven't been there since 1995.

What is your situation before you make the move to the DR? Will you be leaving an environment where your family income was high and you had just about any luxuries that you desired? If that is the case, it will be harder for you to adjust to your income than it was for us. We dropped out early, moved onto a sailboat, and learned to live on a very limited income. So when we finally started receiving retirement benefits it seemed like a lot more than would have been the case otherwise.

You started this thread by asking whether you and your wife can live here on $30,000. My wife and I do and we believe we are comfortable. We don't have a car and really feel no need since we are very experienced in using public transportation. We don't do the sort of traveling to the US we would like to either. But we are happy and enjoy living in the DR, certainly more so than we would in the US.

If I can be of help to you with specific questions, etc., don't hesitate to send me an email or PM. Good luck.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a single guy that told me he lives on 3k US a month with full time maid, gardener and night watchman. Home already paid for and small Jeepeta already paid for.

I pegged living like the pig that I am at 5k a month US to also include a lot of travel both inside and outside the country.

Ken says he does well at 2.5k a month but without a car. Personally I own a car in the DR because I like to be free of transportation worries and will go to Cabarete for a drink at midnight if I feel like it. I will go to Santiago to visit AZB and have dinner with him and then just head back. I go often to Puerto Plata to take care of business or have dinner with Alberto at the drop of a hat. I stop and see different people on the way to different places. I go to Santiago to shop for building materials. I have gone to Boca Chica for a few days and went into S.D. to have dinner with Pib or Pib and Chiri and the then go back. A car is a necessity for "me" while it may not be for someone else.

A lot depends how you want to live. When I lived in Manhattan I had a car, motorcycle and a boat at the 79th St Boat Basin. You need to talk about the style of living you want to live. One mans basic is anothers LUX!

Escott

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't really intending QUITE this reposnse, and, I picked $30K pretty much off the top of my head. My question has been somewhat answered, and it seems to match my perception fairly well. The actual figure I'm working on is about $34K-$36K / year, and its just me (prob). I'm also very comfortable living off the local economy (been there done that). If I wanted to live like I'm in America, I'd stay here. But the dichotomy I refered to is one that has struck me since I started lurking, let alone posting a year or two ago.

Thanks
    Mike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast