November DR1 bash??

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
Hi everyone

Is the DR1 bash on 27th November still on and if so have you got room for 2 Brits at your bash on the 27th November?

We won't take up too much space and promise to leave any unwanted English habits at home.

We're arriving on 16th November and will in Sosua (at my new apartment!!!) until 30th November so this will be a great chance to meet you all. I met a couple of people back in May when I was over and now it's time to mingle some more.

Just can't wait to get back there. I hope someone can let me know about the party.

Cheers

Gary

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I was going to wait a few more weeks before reviving the thread. Sure we have plenty of room. We are at about 50 and I expect about 100 in total including those that just come for drinks.

Send email to rockysbluesbar@hotmail.com and make your reservations. This is going to be bigger than the last one at Easter where we had 60+.

Scott

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
Thanks

Hey Scott

Thanks for the address I just sent an email but got it all wrong - I wrote it to you and sent it to Rockys. I hope that doesn't upset anybody.

I'm sure whoever picks it up will understand.

As you can see from my VERY limited number of posts I've been almost silently lurking on this forum for a long time. The information contained here is seriously invaluable. I just don't feel qualified to actively contribute yet. Perhaps in a few years time with more DR experience under my belt and I'll crawl out of the shadows.

Can't wait to meet everyone next month.

Gary :cool:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After everyone gets really drunk at about 3 am!

We can all go to your apartment for some "Toad In The Hole",or "Bangers and Mashed"!Cris Colon;)

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
Sausages in the DR?

I said I'd leave any unwanted British habits at home and now you want sausages. I'll be getting requests for cold weather and horizontal rain next.

But a house warming party could be an idea.

Marmite anyone? Tally Ho!

Gary :confused:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
No probs with the reservation. As long as you get a reply you are all set. Glad to have you and to meet you. Along with 100 of my other closest friends:)

Where did you get an apartment? I bought one in El Neptuno and just bought another place in Cabarete.

Regards

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
Thanks Scott,

Got a confirmation email from Marco. I guess we won't be the only Brits joining in with the Thanksgiving celebrations.

I bought a 3 bedroom apartment (condo?) up at Caribe Campo - one of the new places they are converting. I really like what the guys are creating up there and it suits my current needs. Great architect with excellent ideas to create nice places from what was a regular hotel. As with any new buyer (of anything) I hope I don't now get a flood of horror stories about the place. I've spoken to other owners up there and they are all very positive.

Had a look at lots of places, and nearly went for a ground floor corner aapartment at El Neptuno(on the far left as you look at the front of the building). Nice place, nice location.

One possibly stupid question - is there any difference between an apartment and a condo?

Gary

gary80vette

Apr 8, 2003
Thanks Scott,

Got a confirmation email from Marco. I guess we won't be the only Brits joining in with the Thanksgiving celebrations.

I bought a 3 bedroom apartment (condo?) up at Caribe Campo - one of the new places they are converting. I really like what the guys are creating up there and it suits my current needs. Great architect with excellent ideas to create nice places from what was a regular hotel. As with any new buyer (of anything) I hope I don't now get a flood of horror stories about the place. I've spoken to other owners up there and they are all very positive.

Had a look at lots of places, and nearly went for a ground floor corner aapartment at El Neptuno(on the far left as you look at the front of the building). Nice place, nice location.

Have you bought a second condo in Cabarete or a plot of land? Cabarete is a great place, love the laid back feel and eating on the beach in the evenings is the best.

One possibly stupid question - is there any difference between an apartment and a condo?

Gary

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One difference is that a condo is part of an association of owners that govern the complex with a set of rules that is binding on all owners.

BTW, that condo you mentioned in El Neptuno is no longer available. It and another were purchased by the same person and both are in the process of being extensively remodeled and refurbished. We live on second floor just above that unit.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
gary80vette said:

Hell we get as many Brits as we do people to these shindigs! Welcome aboard!

I am the fat loud ugly American with the Hairy back and flip flops. You wont be able to miss me.

I bought the one on the far right by the pool at El Neptuno. My side is the quiet side. That guy Ken throws parties that start at 3 am and go till when ever. If you are a late night guy stop over at his place anytime after 3 am. I am always asleep by then. Must be my age.

If you buy a apartment it "IS" a condo. No difference unless you are renting a apartment and then it probably isn't a condo although if you are renting from the owner it maybe.

I bought a 2 family attached house in Cabarete. Top floor is 1 bedroom and a sleeping loft. Bottom floor is a 2 bedroom with Living Room and Den. Kite Beach is directly in front of it over a little dune type thingy.

I did buy a building lot in a gated community between Sosua and Cabarete across from Sea Horse Ranch in Lomas Mironas. I posted pictures of the ocean view on the message board so you can probably do a search and find it.

I am going to renovate the place in Cabarete next month.

See you soon. Hasta Pronto!

Escott

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ho boy... you must be trying to Piss off Janh.

I think Casa Linda has nicely designed small homes on small lots. I think it fills a niche in Sosua just like Sea Horse Ranch does on the higher end of the spectrum. All or most of the houses are about in the same Sq. Ft. range and it makes a nice neighborhood. If you are looking for a home under 100k it is a place you should consider if you can deal with the following complaints I have about the community.

Complaints or reasons it wouldnt be for me is that the Lots are small (read tiny, Cramped), no views, no parking for guests and usually only one parking spot for each home. One of the posters had their home broken into while they slept but I will write that off as an isolated incident since I haven't heard more of the same.

For some it is an Ideal place to be. The lot I bought is 3/4 of an acre mas o menos. The last home I had in the states had 75 acres, a large home and a 2 bedroom guest cottage on top of a mountain with breathtaking views where I lived for 17 years. I had bought this place while single, got married, had a foster child and one out of the oven. Had to buy a Condo to have a neighborhood for my daughter to be able to have friends close by and a place to bike ride. People have different tastes. While I won't ever have such a big spread again and my needs have changed over the years. My wife and I separated almost 4 years ago and I have retired. I no longer want to even support the way of life I use to live. When I moved out from my wife I moved into a Condo we had. I gave my wife the option of the Home or the Condo and she picked the Condo since I had just bought and renovated another one in the complex we had owned in to the max. Even had corian counters in the Bathrooms.

What type of digs are you looking for and maybe I can recommend places for you to look at?

Scott